Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get Netflix cheaper - SEE OP FOR DETAILS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

chases0102 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Great thread that I've just discovered. Been a Netlifx subcriber for years, and now that I have my new 4K TV, looking to upgrade.

Quick question - can I go through the steps in the FAQ and just pay using my BOI Debit card as normal? Does it have to be Revolut? The Mexican version is cheap enough as it is, that'll do just perfectly.

There's two reasons to use Revolut, one is to save further on the FX charges (as traditional banks charge commission on foreign transactions). So as long as your BOI debit card doesn't get blocked from BOI's fraud department (which would be rare but could happen) you'll be fine. The second is to be able to purchase 3/6/12 months of the currency e.g. the 4k plan with Turkish Lira is 39.99, so I purchased 12 x 39.99 a month ago and let Netflix charge my Revolut. So I'm getting 12 months of Netflix for 78euro. 78 euro would get me roughly 5 months at the Irish price.

If you're happy enough at BOI charging a little extra go for it, the savings is still worthwhile.

*EDIT* I need to refresh the thread before posting as I'm creating an OmegaGene echo :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭chases0102

Perfect, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

According to the spreadsheet it works out cheaper to pay for Netflix using VPN from Argentina rather than Turkey.
    However when I checked the price in the plan from Argentina it says the cost for the premium plan is $229 pre-tax.
    Does anyone know how much the tax or is Turkey the best option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

OmegaGene wrote:
    Revolut is the way to go really for any foreign transactions, I used to think it was too much hassle for such a small saving but I’m using it all the time now and it’s an excellent card to have Buy the currency when it’s low and you can’t go wrong imo

I've downloaded the Revolut app, can you advise if I have this right?

Step 1. Do a bank transfer from my personal bank account to the details they provide for Revolut and Turkish Lira for the amount of Netflix for the year (approx 80 euro)

Step 2. Wait 1-3 days for the bank transfer to go from my bank account to Revolut and appear in my Revolut wallet for Turkish Lira.

Step 3. Sign up to Netflix through VPN Turkey and set up the subscription using my Revolut account for Turkish Lira.

Step 4. Netflix takes the monthly subscription of approx 7 euro from my Revolut account.

• Advertisement

Jut tried using the hola VPN to resign up for Netflix from turkey... All going well until I enter the revolut card details and then an error comes up saying "there appears to be a problem with the payment method you are using". Anyone encounter This before? I have over 500 Turkish lira in my account and I have both a virtual card and real card from revolut.

Never mind I just kept trying and the virtual card was eventually accepted. Happy days 😊

OmegaGene wrote: »
    If you read a few of the recent posts someone had the same problem so keep trying

Yep just got sorted. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dakid

Does this also work with N26 instead of Revolut? Using Turkish Lira.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

dakid wrote: »
    Does this also work with N26 instead of Revolut? Using Turkish Lira.

Works with any card as long as your bank or card provider doesn’t block the transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭odddavey

Arg premium going up to ars 299 from 229.
    5.58 to 7.28€ from Dec 18th.
    Got an email earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭odddavey

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Would that be because if the tax that was announced a while back ?
    From email sent.
    We hope you have been enjoying your Netflix membership. We are writing to let you know about an upcoming change.
    Your monthly price is increasing to ARS299 on Tuesday, December 18th 2018. Why? We’re hard at work improving Netflix so that members like you around the world have even more great TV shows and movies to enjoy.
    Doesn't mention tax. I have a pending transaction for 5.64€ for the premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,188 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Lads, apologies for the noob question.

I've signed up to this service and i've changed the settings on both my smart TV and on my laptop, but i'm pretty sure i'm not getting Netflix US. It looks like Netflix UK to me.

How do I know if anything has changed?

Edit: Got it!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,215 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your not using a VPN that pretends your in the US then you won't get US content. You will just get Irish/UK content.

OmegaGene wrote:
    If you go onto Revolut and top up the card from the bank it’s instant

But you can't top up with Turkish Lira direct from the Revolut App you need to do a bank transfer as far as I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Brian017

But you can't top up with Turkish Lira direct from the Revolut App you need to do a bank transfer as far as I can see

Exchange your euros for TL

Thanks Lads, I knew I was missing a trick there!

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Can I use the same email login as in currently using?
    Do I lose all my previous watched history if I change country?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Is it cheaper if you sign up to a family plan?

Just signed up using Hola VPN and using Revolut card.

Took 3-4 trys to accept the Revolut card but worked in the end.

Signed up for the HD unlimited 4 account subscription for 39.99 TL a month.

Is there anyway to get 4K content on this?

Cheers

OmegaGene wrote:
    The 4 screen plan is the 4K/uhd content plan so select something in 4K

Nothing is referenced as being 4K.

I see the Dolby Vison logo on a few things so I take it that's the UHD/4K content

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Nothing is referenced as being 4K.

I see the Dolby Vison logo on a few things so I take it that's the UHD/4K content

I know someone who has a Sony AF9 and it says the same thing in the corner when he turns on a 4k/HDR show. Do you use a Sony TV? It might be the same situation. It's 4K/HDR even though it says Dolby Vision on the screen.

I've been watching on a few different platforms, PS4, iPad, android phone and laptop and don't see any 4k section. Maybe I am not seeing a 4K section because these devices can't play 4K?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I've just had a message pop up telling me I was using a proxy. Any way around this or have do you have to wait for getflix to update their IP?

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Just signed up using Hola VPN

Tried using Hola but couldn't get it to work properly.
    Uninstalled now but have a load of things popping up that weren't there before. :mad:.

Is anybody using the Vodafone gigabox with this working? What's strange is it's working on my phone on the same interest, but not on any other device.

Getflix app installed and updated.
    Getting a Netflix proxy error.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Can you pay annually on Netflix ?

OmegaGene wrote:
    Try clearing cacbe and singing out of Netflix and starting again
    might be worth a go. It's multiple devices though.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭TheInspector

There's two reasons to use Revolut, one is to save further on the FX charges (as traditional banks charge commission on foreign transactions). So as long as your BOI debit card doesn't get blocked from BOI's fraud department (which would be rare but could happen) you'll be fine. The second is to be able to purchase 3/6/12 months of the currency e.g. the 4k plan with Turkish Lira is 39.99, so I purchased 12 x 39.99 a month ago and let Netflix charge my Revolut. So I'm getting 12 months of Netflix for 78euro. 78 euro would get me roughly 5 months at the Irish price.

If you're happy enough at BOI charging a little extra go for it, the savings is still worthwhile.

*EDIT* I need to refresh the thread before posting as I'm creating an OmegaGene echo :pac:

How did you pay for 12 x 39.99 it just shows 10.99 weekly for me.?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

He means he bought that amount of Lira on Revolut to be used for the purpose of paying for Netflix, not 12 months worth of subscriptions on Netflix itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭TheInspector

He means he bought that amount of Lira on Revolut to be used for the purpose of paying for Netflix, not 12 months worth of subscriptions on Netflix itself.

Ah very good, know any reason why mine is weekly and not monthly?

Advertisement