Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get Netflix cheaper - SEE OP FOR DETAILS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Can you watch these foreign Netflix accounts across all devices or just when using VPN on pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

Adiboo wrote: »
    Can you watch these foreign Netflix accounts across all devices or just when using VPN on pc?

No VPN needed to view, only for sign-up.
    Netflix content is based on the country you're viewing from, your account isn't tied to a specific region.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,498 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If you read the thread, you'll get your answer that it works just like an Irish account in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

TheDriver wrote: »
    If you read the thread, you'll get your answer that it works just like an Irish account in Ireland

Cool, I'll scour 140 pages, thanks. I read the first page, the FAQ said nothing, does not mention XBOX/smart TV.

I know you're a MOD, but the poster above you replied and helped without the unnecessary condescending tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,883 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Adiboo wrote: »
    Cool, I'll scour 140 pages, thanks. I read the first page, the FAQ said nothing, does not mention XBOX/smart TV.

I know you're a MOD, but the poster above you replied and helped without the unnecessary condescending tone.

The difference between a regular Irish account and going to Turkey is, I think, that with an Irish account you get Irish content throughout EU, whereas with a Turkish account you get whatever is in the country you are. So could be an issue if you end up in an EU country with particularly poor selection.

Also, to echo this post, this thread is quite hard to follow without asking questions that have already been asked, the op is out of date /etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

dulpit wrote: »
    Just wanted to say that this worked for me. Steps followed:
    1. Tried VPN options on Firefox and Chrome - kept getting blocked by needing mobile number, so stopped this.
    2. Downloaded tor browser: https://www.torproject.org/download/
    3. Opened the folder where Tor was installed (defaulted to my desktop)
    4. Edited the file C:\Users\Dulpit\Desktop\Tor Browser\Browser\TorBrowser\Data\Tor\torcc
    5. The file was initially blank, added the line ExitNodes {tr} and saved.
    6. Opened Tor, went to netflix.com. It defaulted to the Turkish site.
    7. As previous poster said, clicking login does not work. Clicking Try 30 Days Free does work though. I went for the Standard plan at 29.99 Lira.
    8. When prompted to enter new email address/password I just used my existing details, it recognised I had an account and welcomed me back. I then entered payment details (Revolut) and saved. Revolut shows me being charged €4.57, much better than the €11.99 on Irish site.
    9. I did a quick test on netflix now and all seems normal, still have view history, breakdown of family, all that jazz.
    Thanks Dulpit for that detailed post. I'm planning to follow along with that but have a question you might be able to answer.

I live in Ireland and currently have a US subscription to Netflix - Standard Plan at $12.99 month. I pay with a US Visa card.

I would like to switch to Turkey and to using Revolut.

My next payment date is this Sunday, 25 August. I know I need to cancel the US sub before signing up for Turkey. Should I switch to Revolut payment before that? or can I do it afterwards or would I then end up with an issue needing a Turkish phone number for card verification?

If I change my current payment method to Revolut now, would I need to wait another billing cycle to ensure that's gone through before switching to Turkey?

leck wrote: »
    Thanks Dulpit for that detailed post. I'm planning to follow along with that but have a question you might be able to answer.

I live in Ireland and currently have a US subscription to Netflix - Standard Plan at $12.99 month. I pay with a US Visa card.

I would like to switch to Turkey and to using Revolut.

My next payment date is this Sunday, 25 August. I know I need to cancel the US sub before signing up for Turkey. Should I switch to Revolut payment before that? or can I do it afterwards or would I then end up with an issue needing a Turkish phone number for card verification?

If I change my current payment method to Revolut now, would I need to wait another billing cycle to ensure that's gone through before switching to Turkey?

I cancelled, then when I was signing back up I added my Revolut. Didn't have to provide a phone number. I can't see any reason why you can't change the payment method now anyway and then cancel without having to go through another payment though...

I cancelled, then when I was signing back up I added my Revolut. Didn't have to provide a phone number. I can't see any reason why you can't change the payment method now anyway and then cancel without having to go through another payment though...
    I just changed payment method now and see a $1 charge went on Revolut right away - so that must be how they verify it's a valid card number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

I just changed payment method now and see a $1 charge went on Revolut right away - so that must be how they verify it's a valid card number.

it is, youll get that back a day or so later.

it is, youll get that back a day or so later.
    I have some USD on Revolut and some Euro. For Netflix Turkey payment, how do they decide which balance to use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

I have some USD on Revolut and some Euro. For Netflix Turkey payment, how do they decide which balance to use?

if you just use a virtual card (advisable) it should take whatever your main currency is.

If you created a currency card and used that, it will take from it. you have to keep that currency topped up though. you have to manually move money into it. Most people load up a year or whatever, I guess youll get an email telling you payment didnt go through if you havent loaded it. Not all currencies are in revolut though.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

I can't for the life of me get this to work. Trying with Revolut virtual card, via Hola, Speedify and Tor (all seperately). Keep getting errors on the payment page when changing card from my Irish debit card which was originally on the account.

This is frustrating now - seems easy for everybody else! Must be the Revolut card - has anybody else used a virtual card? I've tried resubscribing to old expired account, as well as setting up a whole new account. Neither working on the payment page.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 shane14

What worked for me was I changed my payment info to revolut before my Netflix account expired, then when my account was up I resubscribed in Turkey with Speedify, was just a case of resume membership etc and worked no problem.

This is frustrating now - seems easy for everybody else! Must be the Revolut card - has anybody else used a virtual card? I've tried resubscribing to old expired account, as well as setting up a whole new account. Neither working on the payment page.

Have you allowed online payments in your Revolut account? (Revolut - Cards - Security - Online transactions)?

Have you allowed online payments in your Revolut account? (Revolut - Cards - Security - Online transactions)?

Option is not there, however I use the card regularly for Amazon so I don't think online payments are a problem?

Option is not there, however I use the card regularly for Amazon so I don't think online payments are a problem?

As someone suggested, switch to revolut while still on Irish netflix? Or possibly try to pay in Turkey with your Irish bank, and switch afterwards?

As someone suggested, switch to revolut while still on Irish netflix? Or possibly try to pay in Turkey with your Irish bank, and switch afterwards?

Have just put it through with Irish bank card - couldn't change cards at all, but the existing card worked. I will try to change the card to Revolut for next month. Still a substantial saving to be had even with the small bank charges.

I changed payment method to Revolut a few days ago. I cancelled Netflix yesterday as charge due to come out today 25 Aug. Then used Tor browser to sign up to Netflix Turkey today. It remembered my payment method and profile. First monthly payment on Revolut is €4.73.

Delighted with this. Thank you dulpit for your easy-to-follow instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sinbad311

Anyone recommend a free vpn that has Argentina on the server list?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Have max netflix and have been following this and am a bit ICT inept to put it mildly, so if someone could just explain how to set up revolt card. (is it a physical or digital card?) and how to get a vpn to get cheap Netflix and how i get the cheap Netflix that would be great thanks

Even if ye pm so as not to derail thread. Thanks and sorry for being so clueless

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sinbad311

Sinbad311 wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a free vpn that has Argentina on the server list?

Used Express VPN free trial for anyone else looking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

khalessi wrote: »
    Have max netflix and have been following this and am a bit ICT inept to put it mildly, so if someone could just explain how to set up revolt card. (is it a physical or digital card?) and how to get a vpn to get cheap Netflix and how i get the cheap Netflix that would be great thanks

Even if ye pm so as not to derail thread. Thanks and sorry for being so clueless

If you follow the first post in the thread it shows you all the steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Been using this for a year or so now linked to my Irish credit card. This month was the most expensive at 5 euro for the middle plan on Turkish Netflix but still great value

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I operate an account with another 4 boards members, has been absolutely hassle free for the almost 2 years (2 years in Oct to be precise)

As a side note, I have a friend wanting to join a family plan if anyone has a space spare.

Pm me and I'll square you up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Trying to set up a Turkish account and getting to the last stage where they send a txt to verifty. I'm getting errors here or txt is not being sent. Anyway around this??

Edit: used the tor browser and worked fine, thanks op

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Cheers, worked for me.

For anyone struggling to edit the folder you can do it by selecting Notepad in the options you get when you try to open the file.

It wouldn't let me sign-in to my old account so I tried to open a new account with a new Gmail, which worked, but it told me I was not entitled to a few 30 days 'again'. Odd since I'm 'new' but maybe I used the card previously with them, in which case, major fail by me.

Anyway, I used my Skrill Mastercard and in case anyone is wondering I was charged €4.85 in total and that includes 1 Lira when Netflix checked my card:

scap2.png

scap3.png

If you're signing up to Skrill you don't need to get the physical Mastercard card option (and wait for it to arrive) as they also have instant virtual Mastercard numbers too. Not sure about the fees on these though as have never used them.

I had Skrill already as I use it with Betfair as it allows withdrawals at ATMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭garion

1. Tried VPN options on Firefox and Chrome - kept getting blocked by needing mobile number, so stopped this.
    2. Downloaded tor browser: https://www.torproject.org/download/
    3. Opened the folder where Tor was installed (defaulted to my desktop)
    4. Edited the file C:\Users\Dulpit\Desktop\Tor Browser\Browser\TorBrowser\Data\Tor\torcc
    5. The file was initially blank, added the line ExitNodes {tr} and saved.
    6. Opened Tor, went to netflix.com. It defaulted to the Turkish site.
    7. As previous poster said, clicking login does not work. Clicking Try 30 Days Free does work though. I went for the Standard plan at 29.99 Lira.
    8. When prompted to enter new email address/password I just used my existing details, it recognised I had an account and welcomed me back. I then entered payment details (Revolut) and saved. Revolut shows me being charged €4.57, much better than the €11.99 on Irish site.
    9. I did a quick test on netflix now and all seems normal, still have view history, breakdown of family, all that jazz.

Another shout out to say this worked for me too. Thanks to @dulpit for listing the steps. I was paying via Canada (E12 for 4 screens) for the last few years. I cancelled my sub with last streaming day of yesterday. Woke this morning, couldn't access Netflix so knew my account had been deactivated. Topped up my Revolut card by TRY42 then followed the steps with Tor above. Payment was taken immediately and I'm now back up and running but paying E6.50 instead of E12 a month! Awesome!

One thing to point out, you have to wait until your account is deactivated. While you have an active account that can stream you won't be able to switch country. It'll just restart your membership on your original country.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

+1 for using tor browser with above steps! Thanks for the write up!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Weird blip for me this morning. Got an email from Netflix, then a failed payment notification from Revolut, both saying I'd used the incorrect card expiry date (10/19). I've not changed anything since I signed up in January, and the card is valid until November 2022...

I was able to update the expiry date via Netflix.com and the payment went through immediately. No need for a VPN to make the change either.

Advertisement