Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get Netflix cheaper - SEE OP FOR DETAILS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

If you have an existing Netflix account it’s probably better to use that, as you avoid all the setup around new accounts.

In an existing account, change the payment method to Revolut for the better exchange rate. Then, leave your subscription expire. Once expired, connect via Turkey using whatever method and sign in with the existing account. You’ll be then asked to reactivate with Turkish prices. No extra steps beyond a single click. Worked fine for me.
    Don’t get the free trial, but my watch history is more valuable than an extra months trial anyway. (if you really have to get that “extra” 30 day trial just create a new irish account with a different payment card, then do the above swap to turkey once that expires)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

OmegaGene wrote: »
    There is a work around for the few people that can’t get past the Turkish mobile (even though you can just leave it )
    Sign up for an Irish account and verify mobile number, pay for the first month and let it lapse/end, then sign up in turkey using the same account.
    This info is in the thread somewhere as I posted it previously myself.

Hi Omega,

Thanks for the info, you can't just leave the mobile section as it's needed to verify the account and start using.

I'll try the workaround though :)

It's not possible to login to Netflix with an existing account using tor or a vpn.

It looks to me me like this is locked down. Looking through this thread I see OmegaGene that you have a physical Revolut card and are able to change the security settings and set the country to Turkey. Maybe when you do this there is no need to send a verification code to a Turkish mobile as your card is to all intents aTurkish card. Unfortunately the security and country setting is not available for a virtual card.

In other words this is locked down unless you have a Turkish mobile number or a physical revolut card with the option to change your country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

Now now lads, keep it civil!

Complete nonsense I signed someone up with an aib card yesterday and had no problems, stop spreading fake news just because you can’t do it
    And you could login to an existing account via Tor? And you could just do nothing when it asks you for a Turkish mobile?

Now who is spreading fake news?

• Advertisement

If you have an existing Netflix account it’s probably better to use that, as you avoid all the setup around new accounts.

In an existing account, change the payment method to Revolut for the better exchange rate. Then, leave your subscription expire. Once expired, connect via Turkey using whatever method and sign in with the existing account. You’ll be then asked to reactivate with Turkish prices. No extra steps beyond a single click. Worked fine for me.
    Don’t get the free trial, but my watch history is more valuable than an extra months trial anyway. (if you really have to get that “extra” 30 day trial just create a new irish account with a different payment card, then do the above swap to turkey once that expires)

Tried this on my existing account, won't accept either my virtual or physical revolut card to change payment details. Is this a lucky hit at the moment because I can see some people are getting it through?

Might try on my phone just in case it works on that instead.

I didn’t need to use an existing account I just set up a new one and used aib as payment and job done, if you can’t do it then it’s nobody else’s fault.
    Time to leave this thread I think

Where did I say it was anyone's fault?

We're discussing this in the thread to help each other out and maybe figure out if there is a solution.

Coming in with an attitude and suggestion it's not working because we're idiots is not contributing to the discussion.

Time for who to leave the thread, me or you?

Btw if you log in to Turkish Netflix using an existing account that has a mobile number for password recovery then Netflix won’t ask for it again lol

How are you logging into Turkish Netflix using an existing account? It is not possible to login to netflix via Tor or a VPN. Let me guess, works fine for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

How are you logging into Turkish Netflix using an existing account? It is not possible to login to netflix via Tor or a VPN. Let me guess, works fine for you?

When you say " It is not possible to login to netflix via Tor or a VPN" what do you mean? Are you using an existing account? Are you attempting to login via a browser or some other device? Are you getting an error? What does the error say?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I had an Irish netflix account for years. Cancelled account, when the month ended (day after actually) I used tor to access netflix via Turkey and signed back up - used Revolut to pay. Easy peasy, I posted the exact steps I followed here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110498236#post110498236. So that 100% works. What I can't comment on is following those steps for a new user account..

• Advertisement

Edit: I forgot to mention - logging into Netflix on the Turkish netflix (via Tor at least) doesn't work, but if you click sign-up, follow the prompts and get to the bit where you enter your email address, if that address exists already you just get logged in. It's going to be slow, but just tested and works fine.

dulpit wrote: »
    Edit: I forgot to mention - logging into Netflix on the Turkish netflix (via Tor at least) doesn't work, but if you click sign-up, follow the prompts and get to the bit where you enter your email address, if that address exists already you just get logged in. It's going to be slow, but just tested and works fine.
    Thanks, this approach let's me login while on a vpn. But it doesn't help me signup for a turkish membership. Alk I can do is restart my existing Irish membership.

Thanks, this approach let's me login while on a vpn. But it doesn't help me signup for a turkish membership. Alk I can do is restart my existing Irish membership.
    Try my tor method that I linked above. VPN never worked for me, tor worked first time.

Anyone have issues with Revolut on the site that they since resolved?

I kept trying like someone else said before but no luck. This is on Irish Netflix as well, nothing to do with Turkish Lita yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Did this yesterday for a friend on an existing account no problems.

New accounts must be the issue. What VPN are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Strange thing happened this morning. Netflix was prompting me to restart my membership, and I couldn't watch anything. I was in the middle of my month's subscription, having last been billed on 30 August, so there should be another two weeks left. Maybe they detected that I'm not in Turkey?

Anyway, on with the Turkish VPN again to restart my membership, but after entering my credit card details I reached the mobile number step. I was able to skip it back in July, but couldn't this time. So I restarted the process, entered my card details again and then disconnected my VPN before submitting and getting through to the mobile number page, in the hope that that it would ask for a local number instead of a Turkish one. Unfortunately this didn't work, and my card was billed in euros when I submitted, even though the page showed Turkish lira.

Hopefully Netflix isn't cracking down on this and I will have better luck next month.

dulpit wrote: »
    Try my tor method that I linked above. VPN never worked for me, tor worked first time.

Outcome is the same using Tor or Vpn.

Here is my situation which at this stage I don't think is fixable. Strange that people are having different outcomes, there is obviously another factor under the hood:

1. For a new account I can get into Netflix, register, get the price in Lira, it accepts my payment details but then asks for a Turkish mobile number to text a verification code. It is not possible to skip this step An irish number let's you continue but the text does not arrive.

2. For an existing account I can login to my existing Irish account via vpn and Tor by clicking the try free button and registering with my existing Irish account credentials. But the prices are in Euro and there is no option to switch to a Turkish membership.

Ah well, c'est la vie. It was worth a try.

P.s Revolut does not work at all. "There was a problem with your payment" every time. My Irish cards work no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ddubs

Outcome is the same using Tor or Vpn.

Here is my situation which at this stage I don't think is fixable. Strange that people are having different outcomes, there is obviously another factor under the hood:

1. For a new account I can get into Netflix, register, get the price in Lira, it accepts my payment details but then asks for a Turkish mobile number to text a verification code. It is not possible to skip this step An irish number let's you continue but the text does not arrive.

2. For an existing account I can login to my existing Irish account via vpn and Tor by clicking the try free button and registering with my existing Irish account credentials. But the prices are in Euro and there is no option to switch to a Turkish membership.

Ah well, c'est la vie. It was worth a try.

P.s Revolut does not work at all. "There was a problem with your payment" every time. My Irish cards work no problem.

I seem to be in exactly the same boat. I first contacted Revolut and asked was the payment being blocked. They advised that no payment request had been sent and that the issue was with Netflix.

I then rang Netflix (spelling out my longwinded Irish email address to a Turkish woman with patchy English was great fun). Netflix weren't much help. They did tell me that my account was blocked because I had tired too many cards and that the block would lift 24hours after first attempt. But she lifted the block there and then and alas still no join with Revolut. Irish Cards worked then but again I'm prompted for a Turkish Number.

The above was all done via Tor.

I've since tried Argentina with a VPN and again no joy with Revolut but my Irish cards work but request an Argentine number.

Ive tried multiple cards, accounts, and browsers. The ONLY possible anomaly I can think of is that I am Revolut Premium and possibly the Silver cards are a different number series which is blocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭garion

ddubs wrote: »
    I seem to be in exactly the same boat. I first contacted Revolut and asked was the payment being blocked. They advised that no payment request had been sent and that the issue was with Netflix.

I then rang Netflix (spelling out my longwinded Irish email address to a Turkish woman with patchy English was great fun). Netflix weren't much help. They did tell me that my account was blocked because I had tired too many cards and that the block would lift 24hours after first attempt. But she lifted the block there and then and alas still no join with Revolut. Irish Cards worked then but again I'm prompted for a Turkish Number.

The above was all done via Tor.

I've since tried Argentina with a VPN and again no joy with Revolut but my Irish cards work but request an Argentine number.

Ive tried multiple cards, accounts, and browsers. The ONLY possible anomaly I can think of is that I am Revolut Premium and possibly the Silver cards are a different number series which is blocked?

To avoid the need for a Turkish phone number you need to setup an Irish account with Irish phone number. Then cancel, wait 30 days until the account expires. Then connect to Turkey via Tor, click the sign up free button, enter your Irish account creds and it should give you the Turkish payment screen. You shouldn't need to enter phone number and it should start charging you in Lira from that point on. The key thing is to wait for your Irish sub to expire before reactivating via Tor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Signed up a couple of weeks ago followed instructions in this thread and everything went fine. Now my account is not working.

Edit- rang Netflix support who said account closed due to suspicious activity and refund pending

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

carrotcake wrote: »
    Strange thing happened this morning. Netflix was prompting me to restart my membership, and I couldn't watch anything. I was in the middle of my month's subscription, having last been billed on 30 August, so there should be another two weeks left. Maybe they detected that I'm not in Turkey?

Anyway, on with the Turkish VPN again to restart my membership, but after entering my credit card details I reached the mobile number step. I was able to skip it back in July, but couldn't this time. So I restarted the process, entered my card details again and then disconnected my VPN before submitting and getting through to the mobile number page, in the hope that that it would ask for a local number instead of a Turkish one. Unfortunately this didn't work, and my card was billed in euros when I submitted, even though the page showed Turkish lira.

Hopefully Netflix isn't cracking down on this and I will have better luck next month.
    Signed up a couple of weeks ago followed instructions in this thread and everything went fine. Now my account is not working.

Edit- rang Netflix support who said account closed due to suspicious activity and refund pending

Same, signed up a couple of months ago and Sep payment for TRY42 was taken on 1st Sep. All was working well but as of last night it wouldn't stream anything and logging into the app stated that I needed to renew my membership with prices shown at Rip of Republic levels.

No contact received from Netflix about account suspension or refund so I'm not receiving the service I've paid for. Suspect they're clamping down on the foreign accounts but is this on an ad hoc account by account basis or is everyone in a similar situation asking them to renew their membership?

The clampdown has begun, it looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Mine billed last night, I signed up at least a year ago for Turkish Netflix. I'll post here if I lose it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yeah I signed up a year ago and still working as normal. Will keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,081 ✭✭✭✭muffler

adox wrote: »
    Will keep an eye on it.
    Seeing as you are paying for it that would be the best thing to do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Switched to Turkish Netflix (Premium) using a VPN 3 months ago with my Revolut card. Got billed (monthly) a few days ago and still working as of a few minutes ago.

My netflix is fine for now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

It begins it seems, awe well

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Mrdata.

Had a few days left on a sub aswell that I had signed up for with revolut and it was cut off today. Tried to renew with VPN and revolut but could not past needing a mobile number. I then used my AIB debit card and that worked and didn't require a mobile at the end of the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sidd

Would it help to watch via the Tor Browser for a while to show you're actually in Turkey?

Advertisement