Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out for a spin? Be aware of who's behind.

Options
  • 27-10-2017 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭

Just a quick respectful post.

If you're out on a spin, please be aware of who's behind. On more than a few occasions I've been held up by club cyclists (all over 30's adults) on a spin. No amount of bell ringing or gentle shouts seem to shift slow moving packs of club cyclists on spins. On two occasions myself and other commuters have been purposefully been held up by cyclists on spins taking up the full cycle lane. On one occasion laughing at us drafting. (we weren't)

You've got to realise that there's faster moving commuter cyclists trying to get home from work. They may have a much shorter journey than your 100k + spins and for that reason can afford to go faster. Some of the flat bar bikes are surprisingly fast.

So, if there's commuters behind you hitting speeds that don't match yours it would be appreciated if you'd just let us by.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Jaysus. Now cyclists are giving out about cyclists.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

The best yet lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Just a quick respectful post.

If you're out on a spin, please be aware of who's behind. On more than a few occasions I've been held up by club cyclists (all over 30's adults) on a spin. No amount of bell ringing or gentle shouts seem to shift slow moving packs of club cyclists on spins. On two occasions myself and other commuters have been purposefully been held up by cyclists on spins taking up the full cycle lane. On one occasion laughing at us drafting. (we weren't)

You've got to realise that there's faster moving commuter cyclists trying to get home from work. They may have a much shorter journey than your 100k + spins and for that reason can afford to go faster. Some of the flat bar bikes are surprisingly fast.

So, if there's commuters behind you hitting speeds that don't match yours it would be appreciated if you'd just let us by.

Thanks.

I honestly don't understand what you want the "pack" to do - pull over out of your way? If you are travelling faster than them just pass them?

Is it that they are in double file? I would expect (though i never cycle in groups) that it is easier for you to take the lane and pass them than it is for a whole group to filter into single file when they become aware of you to let you pass. I also imagine that very few of the cyclists int eh group are even aware that you are there.

A club run - are they really slowing your commute down so much that you need to protest? Honestly I am puzzled by this post. Maybe you commute on a popular leisure route - in which case lucky you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This is delightfully absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Them fuppin' over 30s adults...... sure at that age they could only be at a snails pace.....

(Strange to think 6 of the last 7 Tour De France winners were over 30. Must have had particularly fast flat bar bikes).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I will hazard a guess and say that your commute is along the new clontarf bike path?

If so, then slow down. Its not built for speed.

If you are on open road - I dont see what the issue is. You can overtake them just like cars do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

endacl wrote: »

:(

I've lost count the number of times i've seen cyclists on here whinging about exactly the same things they whinge about motorists whinging about..

They usually have a point to be fair but the hypocrisy is astounding..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Yay. It's Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Jaysus, things must be bad when John J Rambo has gone soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

"They forced me to overtake them dangerously."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Jaysus, things must be bad when John J Rambo has gone soft.

Sure he fought with the Taliban, he'll do anything for a bit of controversy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

When I read the title I was expecting a truck driver bitching about a cyclist holding them up on a country road or something like that.

The OP was really the exact opposite.

We’re all members of the “2 wheels good” cycling club whether we’re commuters or club leisure spinners or racers. Do we really need to be giving out about each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Think the OP makes a fair point in measured language. Don't think his comment deserves to be torn apart. I think he's just asking for good manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

At this stage, it's time that this forum reverted back to being about the sport of cycling rather than commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

boombang wrote: »
    Think the OP makes a fair point in measured language. Don't think his comment deserves to be torn apart. I think he's just asking for good manners.

He's asking for a group of cyclists to ride single file in order that he can pass them in the cycle lane.

That's mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭secman

Rambo..... as you approach the slower moving group of cyclists, have a quick look over your right shoulder, when safe to do, place your right arm out straight to indicate your intent to overtake said group of slower moving cyclists. Increase your speed to overtake and having done so , take a quick look over your left shoulder and when safe to do so place your left arm out straight to indicate your intent to move back in safely.

Safe commuting to you my friend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I bet it was an A1 training spin!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You're allowed overtake people moving slower than you. Including cyclists.

We’re all members of the “2 wheels good” cycling club whether we’re commuters or club leisure spinners or racers. Do we really need to be giving out about each other?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I bet it was an A1 training spin!
    :D

Perhaps Anthony was trying out another experiment? The OP might be on You Tube tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

When I read the title I thought 'Ha, he seen me'..

I was riding behind a cyclist yesterday (work commute). He's a rear facing camera, so 51 year old me turned into 10 year old me and I spent a few minutes making all sorts of faces and gestures into the camera (I know, I'm silly).

Anyway I thought it was very amusing at the time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

I thought when reading the OP it was about clearing your nostrils....

A rather unpleasant experience I was nearly on the receiving end of earlier this week...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

How has this anything to do with manners? Just go around them. This is like when someone drives up your ass on a narrow national road and tailgates your car because you're not "polite" enough to let them carry on at 100 kmhr.

Boards has really reached peak ridiculousness.

Goodnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

TooObvious wrote: »
    At this stage, it's time that this forum reverted back to being about the sport of cycling rather than commuting.

You mean you want a sub forum for commuting or sport cycling? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Sport commuting?

Points awarded for:
    - Fastest off the block at green light
    - Most overtakes during traffic light intervals
    - Most experienced looking commuter
    - Best lit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I assume you gave them the 1.5 stay alive distance when overtaking

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Ah I think it's nice that there are so many cyclists about these days that we're causing congestion for each other...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

endacl wrote: »

I started by saying “just quick respectful post”
    Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I will hazard a guess and say that your commute is along the new clontarf bike path?

If so, then slow down. Its not built for speed.

They were safe speeds. No need to slow down, the cyclists were cruising in a group at under 35kph in a group taking the two lanes.
    TooObvious wrote: »

Noted. I'll be mindful of the cycle forum and who it represents in future.
    Lumen wrote: »
    He's asking for a group of cyclists to ride single file in order that he can pass them in the cycle lane.

That's mental.

No, they’re not in single file, I never said that. They took up the two lanes of the cycle lane.
    secman wrote: »
    Rambo..... as you approach the slower moving group of cyclists, have a quick look over your right shoulder, when safe to do, place your right arm out straight to indicate your intent to overtake said group of slower moving cyclists. Increase your speed to overtake and having done so , take a quick look over your left shoulder and when safe to do so place your left arm out straight to indicate your intent to move back in safely.

Safe commuting to you my friend :)

They take up both lanes of the cycle lane. There’s grass and other obstacles on the right hand side of the cycle lane.
    You're allowed overtake people moving slower than you. Including cyclists.

I know, it’s difficult when they take up the full cycle path. I couldn’t overtake safely so I didn’t.
    DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    How has this anything to do with manners? Just go around them. This is like when someone drives up your ass on a narrow national road and tailgates your car because you're not "polite" enough to let them carry on at 100 kmhr.

I tried, but there was no room. I stayed behind them. I wasn’t rude. I didn’t tailgate, I didn’t draft I didn’t say anything rude or disrespectful.
    I assume you gave them the 1.5 stay alive distance when overtaking

There wasn’t any room to overtake so I didn’t .

Thanks for your responding to my respectful post. I'll be careful and more mindful of the forum attitude towards other cyclists when posting in future.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I bet the OP wishes they'd kept that thought to themselves...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

35 km/h? Bloody freds!

Advertisement