Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out for a spin? Be aware of who's behind.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I bet the OP wishes they'd kept that thought to themselves...

No, I'm happy I posted. There's a few on here that understand and see where I'm coming from. The sheep mentality is ok, it's to be expected to be honest and it's present everywhere.

If people can't see my point that's their problem in the main! It's mine if I can't overtake, but I'm ok with that too, it's not the biggest deal in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

TooObvious wrote: »
    At this stage, it's time that this forum reverted back to being about the sport of cycling rather than commuting.
    .... in Dublin

FYP .... :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

The cheek of those over 30's. Shouldn't they be in a nursing home and only allowed on zimmer frames? Disgraceful Joe.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    No, I'm happy I posted. There's a few on here that understand and see where I'm coming from. The sheep mentality is ok, it's to be expected to be honest and it's present everywhere.

If people can't see my point that's their problem in the main! It's mine if I can't overtake, but I'm ok with that too, it's not the biggest deal in the world.

Fair enough....
    But, where would you expect this 2 abreast peloton travelling at under 35kmph to go ??
    And, you can travel home faster than that ?? Chapeau ... as long as its safe etc .. Maybe you should take up cycling ..

greenspurs wrote: »
    Fair enough....
    But, where would you expect this 2 abreast peloton travelling at under 35kmph to go ??

I thought they’d make room for me and let me by. That’s what I would have done, but then again, different folks - different strokes.
    And, you can travel home faster than that ?? Chapeau ... as long as its safe etc .. Maybe you should take up cycling ..

I’ve a pretty short commute, I can belt home. I’d say these guys were heading to Howth, they’d a lot more work ahead of them than I did.

• Advertisement

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    The cheek of those over 30's. Shouldn't they be in a nursing home and only allowed on zimmer frames? Disgraceful Joe.

I highlighted the age factor to show they weren't children, they were mature adults. (most younger than me by the way)

I thought they’d make room for me and let me by. That’s what I would have done, but then again, different folks - different strokes.

But you said you had no room to overtake them, so how could they make room for you? By slowing down, and going into single file ? That is quite dangerous in a group.....
    And why the rush ?? Why not just tag along at the back (at under 35kmph) and overtake when safe and possible? (just like motorists are supposed to do) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Was it in 30kmph are? :D

I actually see op's point. It's unlikely I will ever need to overtake anyone as cyclist especially if 35kph is considered leisurely stroll but I sometimes come across the same when running. People walking three or four abreast in their own little world without noticing they are blocking your way. And it's similar to car drivers constantly driving on overtaking lane. It is a bit ignorant.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

TooObvious wrote: »
    At this stage, it's time that this forum reverted back to being about the sport of cycling rather than commuting.

To be clear. This forum is for discussion of all aspects of cycling.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

The obvious solution here is proper gridding at the start of every commute.

• Advertisement

But you said you had no room to overtake them, so how could they make room for you? By slowing down, and going into single file ? That is quite dangerous in a group.....
    And why the rush ??

It’s a clear path with excellent sight lines in good weather and perfect conditions. There were plenty of opportunities to let me overtake, they were taking up both lanes and found it perfectly safe to move over for cyclist traveling in the opposite direction.
    Why not just tag along at the back (at under 35kmph) and overtake when safe and possible? (just like motorists are supposed to do) :rolleyes:

That's exactly what I did do. Again, I wasn't rude, I didn't draft, I didn't tailgate.

That's exactly what I did do. Again, I wasn't rude, I didn't draft, I didn't tailgate.
    So you did get past them!? How much time did you lose ?? Was your Strava on??
    Jaysis .... its like talking to a motorist ........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

In fairness your post makes a lot more sense to me now that it has been clarified that there was nowhere for you to go to overtake - you were on an off road cycle path and the whole path was taken up by the peleton. As you have pointed out there was nothing rude or disrespectful in your post.

Even so it is probably not realistic to expect a group of cyclists to all pull left to let you pass, much like when you come up behind slower moving traffic in a car you just have to wait until there is a safe spot to overtake. I guess it is just traffic - granted that is far more unusual on a bike than in a car.

Even so it is a reasonably frequent experience to find yourself held up behind a commuter in a cycle lane with not enough room to pass them because of a traffic jam in the car lane to the right of them. Not worth getting upset about - traffic happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

When I read the title I thought 'Ha, he seen me'..

I was riding behind a cyclist yesterday (work commute). He's a rear facing camera, so 51 year old me turned into 10 year old me and I spent a few minutes making all sorts of faces and gestures into the camera (I know, I'm silly).

Anyway I thought it was very amusing at the time :D

Jaysis I wonder if that was me... I didn't notice anyone behind me yesterday anyway! And if it was, my camera wasn't on :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Go around them. They are perfectly entitled to be cycling as they are, and might find bell ringing and gentle shouting a) aggressive, and b) immature for someone over the age of 30.

If they were at a standstill, or all over the place causing an obstruction, but they are traffic, and should be treated like any other slower moving traffic and overtaken as you would anything else.

In the time it takes them to get into Single file, which they might have to slow down to do anyway, you could have over taken them.

Fian wrote: »
    In fairness your post makes a lot more sense to me now that it has been clarified that there was nowhere for you to go to overtake - you were on an off road cycle path and the whole path was taken up by the peleton. As you have pointed out there was nothing rude or disrespectful in your post.

Even so it is probably not realistic to expect a group of cyclists to all pull left to let you pass, much like when you come up behind slower moving traffic in a car you just have to wait until there is a safe spot to overtake. I guess it is just traffic - granted that is far more unusual on a bike than in a car.

Even so it is a reasonably frequent experience to find yourself held up behind a commuter in a cycle lane with not enough room to pass them because of a traffic jam in the car lane to the right of them. Not worth getting upset about - traffic happens.

I’d be the type of motorist that would slow down or pull in for faster moving traffic. Particularly if I’ve a load on board or towing. I hear you, but again, I’m not upset about it, it was just a respectful request to be aware.
    So you did get past them!? How much time did you lose ?? Was your Strava on??
    Jaysis .... its like talking to a motorist ........:rolleyes:

I don’t have strava.

I turned off home and they carried on, so I didn’t overtake them. I didn’t loose much time, but I wanted to go faster.

I’m actually a motorist too. Most cyclists are. I don't know why you're rolling your eyes and being scornful. It's just a respectful request, I'm not demanding anything.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Go around them

I couldn't they were taking up both lanes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I started writing my post before it was confirmed it was clontarf cycle path and got dragged away to finish it later.

If you want to belt it home, do it on the road. Clontarf cycle path is not for people who want to belt it anywhere to be honest as tempting as that can be.

That said, I don't think it's for people out on group spins taking up both sides of a two way path either

I can sympathise OP. I cycle this route daily, on the 2 lane segregated cycle track, and have had groups coming towards me and not yielding forcing me to stop. There is a problem with larger groups using this route, it's quite narrow at some parts (wide at others to be fair). But given it's not terribly long I would think it wise to go single file. But I'm just a pesky commuter cyclist, what would I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Go around them

Did they meet any oncoming cyclists?

Using both lanes is very ignorant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If it's Clontarf, yeah, I'd agree that club spins should be using the road. But also, if you want to move fast, you should be on the road as well. There's plenty of kids on bikes, dog walkers etc. Not really suitable for lamping it.

ted1 wrote: »
    Did they meet any oncoming cyclists?

Yes, they moved out of oncoming cyclists way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Should've just kept roaring roll up until you got the front and then started half wheeling whoever was there.

Plastik wrote: »
    Should've just kept roaring roll up until you got the front and then started half wheeling whoever was there.

with my Tesco bags hanging off the handlebars?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Fair play to be able to keep up with a group going 35kph with Tesco bags on the handlebars. Have you considered racing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Key point for me is that there was a large group, half of which were on the wrong side of the cycle track.

I've caught up with such a group on the Clontarf track going into towards the city. They were probably doing around 22-24kph and were forcing oncoming cyclists right to the edge of the lane, despite "moving over". On much of that track there is not a lot of room for three bikes in parallel even taking up the two lanes. To me this type of behavior is ignorant at best. Fair play to the OP for waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Jaysis I wonder if that was me... I didn't notice anyone behind me yesterday anyway! And if it was, my camera wasn't on :(

Fairview Park heading into the city, I'd have turned at Edges corner.

Fairview Park heading into the city, I'd have turned at Edges corner.

Ah it wasn't me! I turn down Alfie Byrne road direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I started writing my post before it was confirmed it was clontarf cycle path and got dragged away to finish it later.

If you want to belt it home, do it on the road. Clontarf cycle path is not for people who want to belt it anywhere to be honest as tempting as that can be.

That said, I don't think it's for people out on group spins taking up both sides of a two way path either

Exactly. Folks TTing there is mad. And if 35kmhr was slow to you then hot are basically TTing.

Few months back and a toddler wandered out in front of me from one of the grassy verges (clontarf end). His parents were sunbathing and they mum only went to stop him after he was on the path. Thankfully I was tootling and just slowed until he was scooped up. I didn't even make a remark to his mother I was in such a good mood.

Now, if you are really racing down that path, that's a bigger issue than the inconsiderate mamils you describe.

It's your choice to go 35+ on a path where you are bound to get all sorts of incidents like the one I experienced, but be prepared for the consequences when you do get a clear run!

• Advertisement

The seafront was empty of people. If there were kids, dogs etc around I wouldn’t be travelling anywhere near that speed.

Advertisement