Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out for a spin? Be aware of who's behind.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Lumen wrote: »
    He's asking for a group of cyclists to ride single file in order that he can pass them in the cycle lane.

That's mental.

I read it that he's asking slower cyclists cycling multiple abreast to tuck in momentarily and let faster cyclists by. I think this is perfectly reasonable. I'd be ashamed of myself if I deliberately held up a cyclist behind me because I wanted to keep chatting to my mates without a few seconds interruption.

I don't think the group needs to cycle single file, it just needs to adjust to let the presumably very occasional faster cyclist through.

What is it about sharing road/cyclelane space sensibly that brings out unreasonable attitudes in people?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

John_Rambo wrote: »
    The seafront was empty of people. If there were kids, dogs etc around I wouldn’t be travelling anywhere near that speed.

Tell us, how fast were you going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ah it wasn't me! I turn down Alfie Byrne road direction.

It would have been so funny had it been you, and putting up a clip of me being a sap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Was this group in club colours??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yes, they moved out of oncoming cyclists way.
    I've encountered them several times when I've been going the opposite direction and in my experience, they're only inclined to tighten up at the last minute when the realise the on coming cyclist is not going to abandon the track just to suit them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Tell us, how fast were you going?

I don’t have a speedo so I’d be guessing. I’d say mid 20’s to mid 30’s (kph). I often drive along at 40kph and the cyclists match my speed, but I certainly wasn’t going that fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I though the title highlighted a more important issue of cyclists spitting and snot-cannoning in front. Please people be mindful of cyclists behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I bet this is how they come up with the idea for Russian Dolls.
    The clubs are in front of the commuters, the commuters are in front of the couriers ant the couriers are in front of the Tour De France>> and life goes on and on and on........

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Some folk have little to occupy their minds. If you cannot overtake cycle more slowly until you learn

benneca1 wrote: »
    Some folk have little to occupy their minds. If you cannot overtake cycle more slowly until you learn

I have lots to occupy my mind and you could do with reading my posts. The reason I couldn’t overtake wasn’t because of a lack of ability, but due to the fact that the cyclists were taking both lanes of the cycle lane in front of me. There was grass on my right hand side and a raised kerb on the left hand side.

Nobody could overtake, there were other cyclists there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Take it handy and chill till the opportunity to pass arises

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

endacl wrote: »
    Jaysus. Now cyclists are giving out about cyclists.

:(

Even cyclists don't like cyclists

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have lots to occupy my mind and you could do with reading my posts.
    I did an experiment a few years ago where I proved that nobody reads from the start of a thread once there are more than a couple of pages.

Basically, there was an online opinion poll (not on boards), and I wrote a bot that pushed the 40/60 vote all the way to about 90% in favour. And then I admitted to it a few pages in to the thread. And about fifty pages later people were still speculating about possible reasons the poll wasn't representative. :pac:

benneca1 wrote: »
    Take it handy and chill till the opportunity to pass arises

That's exactly what I did. Again, I implore that you read the thread before diving in.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crippens1

I've just read through this and I feel people have been a bit too harsh on the OP. That kind of thing grinds my gears as well. I've even found myself muttering under my breath in supermarkets every time another shopper absentmindedly stops their trolley in the middle of the aisle blocking the road for everyone !!!

Crippens1 wrote: »
    I've just read through this and I feel people have been a bit too harsh on the OP.
    It wasn't clear in the OP that this was an off-road cycle track situation, which was a rather important detail.

It wasn't clear in the OP that this was an off-road cycle track situation, which was a rather important detail.

If it was a normal cycle path on the side of the road I'd obviously check, signal and overtake and not post here.

If it was a normal cycle path on the side of the road I'd obviously check, signal and overtake and not post here.
    Yeah, but there are loads of threads here where people complain about having to leave a cycle lane to overtake a parked car.

How would we know that you're not that sort of person? :D

Yeah, but there are loads of threads here where people complain about having to leave a cycle lane to overtake a parked car.

How would we know that you're not that sort of person? :D

Good point. I assumed you'd all assume I was a normal sane person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Good point. I assumed you'd all assume I was a normal sane person.

ehh...this is boards :)

• Advertisement

brownian wrote: »
    ehh...this is boards :)

Showing it's true colours in some instances on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Showing it's true colours in some instances on this thread.

Wait, if you knew what response you might receive before posting then why bother? Was it just to say how narrow minded the average boards poster is?

Complaining really only has any effect when it's done with like minded people. Maybe there is a forum for extremely fast Tesco bag commuters where you might feel happier?

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Wait, if you knew what response you might receive before posting then why bother? Was it just to say how narrow minded the average boards poster is?

Wait. I wasn't looking for a response. I was merely asking people to be more aware. And I certainly wasn't expecting some of the more moronic posts that some people came up with. This one included.
    Complaining really only has any effect when it's done with like minded people. Maybe there is a forum for extremely fast Tesco bag commuters where you might feel happier?

Again, I wasn't complaining. I was asking people to be a bit more aware.

As pointed out by the mods this thread isn't exclusively for the sport of cycling.... I'll quote the mod here as you one of these people that jump in feet first without reading the thread.
    To be clear. This forum is for discussion of all aspects of cycling.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭elchupanebrey

I might have missed it but did the OP ask the group to tighten up and let him through?

I'm not saying they had any business being on the track in such a big group, just curious as to whether he asked and was refused? They certainly shouldn't have been taking up both lanes but unfortunately for us cyclists in general a lot of cyclists think they own whatever bit of infrastructure they are cycling on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Hilarious. With an attitude like yours i can't possibly understand why the Cyclists didn't part down the middle and let You pass.

I'm sorry you didn't find the answers you were looking for on an internet forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

<mod hat on>c'mon, it's friday night. less of the incivility; you disagree with his attitude, fair enough, but keep it civil. we probably all have better things to be doing than getting into bad-tempered debates online</mod>

Hilarious. With an attitude like yours i can't possibly understand why the Cyclists didn't part down the middle and let You pass.

I'm sorry you didn't find the answers you were looking for on an internet forum.

Again. Please try to read the posts on the thread. I wasn't looking for answers. Just asking people to be aware in a measured, civil, respectful post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Again. Please try to read the posts on the thread. I wasn't looking for answers. Just asking people to be aware in a measured, civil, respectful post.

Aside from the remarks received on the day, did you follow up with the club in question, assuming it was readily identifiable?

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Aside from the remarks received on the day, did you follow up with the club in question, assuming it was readily identifiable?

No, firstly I'm not sure what club it is, secondly I didn't think it was that big a deal.

People on this thread are making a big deal of it are getting very defensive, argumentative and incensed for some reason.

There were cyclists taking up the two lanes of the cycle lane. A bit like a rolling road block. I came up behind them and matched their speed. I wanted to pass so I rang my bell. They didn't move. I shouted "Excuse me"! and "Can I get by!" in a cheery non-threatening way. They looked back, saw me but didn't move out of the way. So I shrugged my shoulders, hung back and just cycled behind them till I turned off. No angry words, no demands, no arguments. I enjoyed looking at the egrets and herons on the mudflats.

I started this thread because I know there's a good few sportsmen and women on the forum. I told the story and asked could people be a bit more aware.

That's all. No big deal. No need for the rage (not aimed at you Lusk).

Peace. Have a good long weekend everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I can't figure out what ye were all doing in the cycle lane at all!?

Advertisement