Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out for a spin? Be aware of who's behind.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

John_Rambo wrote:
    Wait. I wasn't looking for a response. I was merely asking people to be more aware. And I certainly wasn't expecting some of the more moronic posts that some people came up with. This one included.

Why ask a random group of Internet users to be aware of an issue you experienced caused by a different specific group? Would you not contact the club directly to make them aware?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You keep saying it's not a big deal. If it's not a big deal to you, then why post a dedicated thread to it. It may seem civil, but to me it came across as more than a bit patronising.

It took a few posts to discover you were on about Clontarf cycle path too so people rightly jumped on it and pointed it's not their job to move out of your way.

We've a dedicated thread for these types of musings too, or one that has morphed into it, it's also a favourite of mine.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80997171

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

May I suggest a solution?.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Hi Grassey, can you read through the thread before jumping in with questions already answered?

I'll quote myself from previous posts.
    Grassey wrote: »
    Why ask a random group of Internet users to be aware of an issue you experienced caused by a different specific group?
    John_Rambo wrote: »
    I started this thread because I know there's a good few sportsmen and women on the forum. I told the story and asked could people be a bit more aware
    Grassey wrote: »
    Would you not contact the club directly to make them aware?
    No, firstly I'm not sure what club it is, secondly I didn't think it was that big a deal.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    You keep saying it's not a big deal. If it's not a big deal to you, then why post a dedicated thread to it. It may seem civil, but to me it came across as more than a bit patronising.

It took a few posts to discover you were on about Clontarf cycle path too so people rightly jumped on it and pointed it's not their job to move out of your way.

We've a dedicated thread for these types of musings too, or one that has morphed into it, it's also a favourite of mine.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80997171

I'm sorry you feel patronised. That wasn't my intent. I'm not sure if I agree with you regarding people rightly jumping in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Just a quick respectful post.

If you're out on a spin, please be aware of who's behind. On more than a few occasions I've been held up by club cyclists (all over 30's adults) on a spin. No amount of bell ringing or gentle shouts seem to shift slow moving packs of club cyclists on spins. On two occasions myself and other commuters have been purposefully been held up by cyclists on spins taking up the full cycle lane. On one occasion laughing at us drafting. (we weren't)

You've got to realise that there's faster moving commuter cyclists trying to get home from work. They may have a much shorter journey than your 100k + spins and for that reason can afford to go faster. Some of the flat bar bikes are surprisingly fast.

So, if there's commuters behind you hitting speeds that don't match yours it would be appreciated if you'd just let us by.

Thanks.

I experience this frequently on the Clontarf bike lane. Taking up the full width of the bike lane is pure ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

I thought they’d make room for me and let me by. That’s what I would have done, but then again, different folks - different strokes.

I’ve a pretty short commute, I can belt home. I’d say these guys were heading to Howth, they’d a lot more work ahead of them than I did.

If that cycle path (for people of all abilities) is too slow you can still use the road. There’s still a cycle lane.

If that cycle path (for people of all abilities) is too slow you can still use the road. There’s still a cycle lane.

Why should faster cyclists be forced to detour onto a more dangerous pockmarked stretch of road thats barely fit for purpose, just to accommodate a bunch of lads that want to take up the full pathway so they can have a chat?

When I cycle on that lane with my mates we cycle in single file just for this purpose.

Common courtesy should prevail. Simples.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Why should faster cyclists be forced to detour onto a more dangerous pockmarked stretch of road thats barely fit for purpose, just to accommodate a bunch of lads that want to take up the full pathway so they can have a chat?

When I cycle on that lane with my mates we cycle in single file just for this purpose.

Common courtesy should prevail. Simples.

On weekends that cycle path is full of slow, family groups. It’s also got pedestrians. On summer evenings, similar. I suggest that fast cyclists take the road.

On weekends that cycle path is full of slow, family groups. It’s also got pedestrians. On summer evenings, similar. I suggest that fast cyclists take the road.

The family groups are quite good at keeping to the left in most cases.

Pedestrians, though thankfully rare now, don't take up the full width of the path and are easily overtaken without danger.

I've cycled the road several times when the path is blocked during flood warning periods and its horrific in comparison to the smooth surface of the bike lane. Pockmarked concrete slabs and cars pulling out in front of you.

The path should be treated as any two way road is: keep left unless as you need to overtake. If it was wider, then sure there's no problem cycling in parallel.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Seems like a fairly unlikely scenario all round;

1) Club spins would be Saturday or Sunday mornings, right? So this person would have to be commuting to work on Saturday or Sunday. Yes, I know that some people do work weekends, but most people don't.
    2) Club spins don't generally ride on cycle lanes, or have cycle lanes for most of the duration of their rides - so this would only apply to a small percentage of their spin
    3) Most commuting cyclists would be slower than most club spins.

So really, how often is this going to happen? Seems like a once in a blue moon scenario...

• Advertisement

3) Most commuting cyclists would be slower than most club spins.

I don't find this the case... the average speed of those that cycle in parallel on this stretch (I don't know if they are in clubs as I didn't ask) is usually around 20-25kph. Is that considered fast?

Anyway this is besides the point, the point is that a lot of people cycle the route faster than a lot of clubs.

So... they shouldn't take up the full width of the lane blocking those that wish to overtake.

This thread if anything has emphasised a particularly Irish phenomenon - the super fast cycle commuter. I blame, or give credit, to the bike to work scheme and the strava app.

This thread if anything has emphasised a particularly Irish phenomenon - the super fast cycle commuter. I blame, or give credit, to the bike to work scheme and the strava app.

I found commuters in Amsterdam were scarily fast... I was relieved to return back to Dublin where it's relatively a snails pace

Actually commuters in Spain were faster than here too in my experience... plus their bike lanes often encroach on pedestrian paths.

That's not an issue in this particular situation however where we are talking about purely a bike-only lane so fast commuting isn't a danger to pedestrians etc, unless of course they put themselves in harms way by going where they are not supposed to, just as they would if they were walking along a busy road.

What I would guess happens more frequently would be people coming towards them in the oncoming lane? What happens there if they are 3, 4 or 5 a breast :confused:

What I would guess happens more frequently would be people coming towards them in the oncoming lane? What happens there if they are 3, 4 or 5 a breast :confused:

I have had a few close calls coming in the opposite direction alright, particularly at the section opposite the Dublin Bus depot where your view around the corner is obfuscated by a bunch of palm trees.

I actually wish they would trim those back... another for the wishlist along with concrete wheel stops at the parking area where cars overhang the bike lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Straight through the middle of them and then get up swinging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

with my Tesco bags hanging off the handlebars?
    Try fitting battery operated propeller blades onto the side of each Tesco bag, then you can go through like Ben Hur.

Don't forget to turn off at the first left turn after passing them out.
    That will really pee them off, and also you can get a well earned rest when out of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I've been commuting at pace long before the introduction of the Bike To Work Scheme and long before Strava. I don't have the Strava app. My commute is my secret cardio gym. I did avail of the Bike To Work Scheme, but I'd still be cycling if that wasn't there.
    I suggest that fast cyclists take the road.

I hear you, It's a good point and I appreciate you advice, I'm aware that I can use the road, but I'd happily hang back behind other cyclists than use the road. I used the road to go from the cycle shop to my turn left on Mount Prospect Avenue (a short couple of hundred metres, not worth crossing the road twice to enter the cycle path and cross back over again) and it wasn't appreciated by motorists one bit. Red rage seeing a cyclist using the road beside the new cycle track was the result of that move, won't be doing it again!

Just to reiterate, I don't hate other cyclist as suggested, I like other cyclists, I respect other cyclists and always check over my shoulder for others before I overtake. I love the cycle track and love to see people use it and I think it's fantastic to see groups of club cyclists moving with pace on the dedicated cycle path, it's cool. My kids cycle to and from school and we, as a family use the cycle infrastructure that we're lucky to have in our locality. I teach my kids to use it properly and respect other users.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

I've been commuting at pace long before the introduction of the Bike To Work Scheme and long before Strava. I don't have the Strava app. My commute is my secret cardio gym. I did avail of the Bike To Work Scheme, but I'd still be cycling if that wasn't there.

I hear you, It's a good point and I appreciate you advice, I'm aware that I can use the road, but I'd happily hang back behind other cyclists than use the road. I used the road to go from the cycle shop to my turn left on Mount Prospect Avenue (a short couple of hundred metres, not worth crossing the road twice to enter the cycle path and cross back over again) and it wasn't appreciated by motorists one bit. Red rage seeing a cyclist using the road beside the new cycle track was the result of that move, won't be doing it again!

Just to reiterate, I don't hate other cyclist as suggested, I like other cyclists, I respect other cyclists and always check over my shoulder for others before I overtake. I love the cycle track and love to see people use it and I think it's fantastic to see groups of club cyclists moving with pace on the dedicated cycle path, it's cool. My kids cycle to and from school and we, as a family use the cycle infrastructure that we're lucky to have in our locality. I teach my kids to use it properly and respect other users.

Possibly the same crowd that put you out but there was a badly organised 'touring' group trundling along the cyclepath towards Clontarf on Sunday. An absolute pain to cycle on the same stretch as them.

Advertisement