Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oven Tripping Switch

Options
  • 27-10-2017 6:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a relatively new oven which is plugged into wall with a standard plug. (I thought this was odd myself but apparently it's ok).

The oven keeps tripping the switch. It's not the fuse as I switched it already and no joy. I can't open up the plug as there are no screws.

Any ideas what this might be?

Note: I have no knowledge of appliances and presume I need to get an electrician out to service. Just wondering what I am likely to have to pay.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,442 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How big is the oven? Is it the size of the one on a typical cooker or one the size of the grill on a typical cooker.

What are you using at the same time as the oven?

What make / model is it? Alternatively, it should list something like "230V ____W" or "230 Volts ____ Watts" or "____ A socket" or "____ Amp socket" on the label on the back / box. What are those numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

What rating is the MCB that is tripping?

Do you have an exact model number for the oven?

13A plug is unusual alright but could be correct of the oven is approx 3000w or under

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

The oven is 2400w so a plug is fine, its a problem with one of these three:

The oven. If its less than 2 years old its covered under EU law
    The circuit that supplies electricity to the oven. What rating is the MCB that trips? Does anything else not work when it trips?
    The MCB that protects the circuit. New MCB is less than €10 but a pain to install and not really lightly, they are quiet reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

The oven is 2400w so a plug is fine, its a problem with one of these three:

The oven. If its less than 2 years old its covered under EU law
    The circuit that supplies electricity to the oven. What rating is the MCB that trips? Does anything else not work when it trips?
    The MCB that protects the circuit. New MCB is less than €10 but a pain to install and not really lightly, they are quiet reliable.

Hi Paul. Nothing else trips. How do I find out the MCB rating?

I'm guessing the best option is to get a spark to call out?

• Advertisement

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Hi Paul. Nothing else trips. How do I find out the MCB rating?

I'm guessing the best option is to get a spark to call out?

On the mcb that is tripping there will be a number above the little switch to the left.

It would need to be at least 16 to cover that oven and probably is tbh but check anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Skihunta13

On the mcb that is tripping there will be a number above the little switch to the left.

It would need to be at least 16 to cover that oven and probably is tbh but check anyway.
    It could be an overload if the oven is plugged in the kitchen socket circuit. Does the rest of the sockets in the kitchen go down when the cooker trips? Is there a loud bang from the mcb or does it just fall down.

Advertisement