Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liam Gallagher Malahide Castle Friday June 15th 2018

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

shakeitoff wrote: »
    The gig was like 50 per cent atmosphere, 40 per cent Liam Gallagher stage presence and 10 per cent the actual music. Kinda why Oasis got popular when you think about it.

Surely the atmosphere is dependent on the music ?

If he played 16 obscure b sides no one had ever heard then there would have been zero atmosphere.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Queues for the bar? I don't get it. How long did people queue for to get to the bar? If you queued, more's the fool you are.

It's been mentioned time and time again on boards about drunk people ruining gigs here, but I can only speak for myself. I go to a gig, maybe get a drink during support, if at all. I won't fall down with the thirst either way.

Usually, because it's Ireland, I've paid enough for a ticket, so don't want to miss any of the gig. I can go 2 hours without a drink. Imagine that....

Judging by the state Malahide was left in, plenty had enough booze on board before going into the gig.

People drinking beer at a rock n roll gig, what is the world coming to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

People drinking beer at a rock n roll gig, what is the world coming to

Would you pay to go to the cinema, and queue for 20 mins in the middle of the film for chocolate and coca cola, then when you finish the coca cola, go out again for more coca cola?

Would you pay to go to the cinema, and queue for 20 mins in the middle of the film for chocolate and coca cola, then when you finish the coca cola, go out again for more coca cola?

No, but if I did want a drink before or during the gig it shouldn't take 20 mins to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

threein99 wrote: »
    No, but if I did want a drink before or during the gig it shouldn't take 20 mins to get it.

True. But I think everybody knows at this stage that for similar outdoor gigs, that for the hour before the main event, that the bars are thronged. That’s just the way it is. I think the point that Seachto was making is that why would you bother. People always blame the venue set-up, and we hear the complaints about the huge queues for drink. But if you had, say 3,000 Seachtos at the gig, to replace 3,000 of the binge drinkers at the gig, there would be no problem with queues. Maybe for a second, that we should hold fire on blaming the efficiency of the bar staff, or the lack of drink facilities. And maybe focus on why, from about 7pm to 9pm, we have to try to cram as much drink into ourselves as possible.

• Advertisement

True. But I think everybody knows at this stage that for similar outdoor gigs, that for the hour before the main event, that the bars are thronged. That’s just the way it is. I think the point that Seachto was making is that why would you bother. People always blame the venue set-up, and we hear the complaints about the huge queues for drink. But if you had, say 3,000 Seachtos at the gig, to replace 3,000 of the binge drinkers at the gig, there would be no problem with queues. Maybe for a second, that we should hold fire on blaming the efficiency of the bar staff, or the lack of drink facilities. And maybe focus on why, from about 7pm to 9pm, we have to try to cram as much drink into ourselves as possible.

I'd smuggled in a hip flask of whiskey so I needed a glass to mix it :D

I'd smuggled in a hip flask of whiskey so I needed a glass to mix it :D

Well done. I was at The National in Donnybrook. I was going to try to get a can in, in each sock tucked under the leg of the trousers, and one can down the jockstrap. Anything to avoid the €6 per pint. But chickened out in the end. I thought for sure they'd give a proper pat down. But I needn't have worried. Hardly laid a finger on me. Had a couple of drinks before the mad bar queues started.

Well done. I was at The National in Donnybrook. I was going to try to get a can in, in each sock tucked under the leg of the trousers, and one can down the jockstrap. Anything to avoid the €6 per pint. But chickened out in the end. I thought for sure they'd give a proper pat down. But I needn't have worried. Hardly laid a finger on me. Had a couple of drinks before the mad bar queues started.

A hip flask down my jocks has never failed me

What type of moron then would queue for at least 20 mins for a drink, missing the gig they shelled out too much money for in the first place... :confused:

It's like people who queue to get in to a pub or nightclub. God knows I did it enough in my youth, and look back wondering why...

Are people THAT desperate for drink in Ireland? Obviously yes. It was even discussed on Matt Cooper last Monday.

What type of moron then would queue for at least 20 mins for a drink, missing the gig they shelled out too much money for in the first place... :confused:

It's like people who queue to get in to a pub or nightclub. God knows I did it enough in my youth, and look back wondering why...

Are people THAT desperate for drink in Ireland? Obviously yes. It was even discussed on Matt Cooper last Monday.

I was in at 7 so I missed none of the gig I paid for. I wasn't in anyway hammered I just wanted a pint, not an unreasonable request

Took 20mins to actually get into the venue as well because of the queues at the gates.

Both those things point to bad organisation.

• Advertisement

I dunno, I just wouldn't bother getting a drink and wasting time queuing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

I got fecked up on some sort of wine they were selling. Just bought a bottle for 35 euro because I didn’t wanna que again. Had a few cans before and a few pints after, then a few cans when I got home.

Gig was great. Didn’t bother anyone. There was one or two greedy guts falling over and waffling the ears off people but in general the atmosphere was great.

Ireland doesn’t have a drink problem it has an
    a hole problem.

Some of them are sober some are drunk. In general everyone else is sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The problem is that you have 20,000 people all wanting pints right before the gig.

To serve them all quickly, you'd need an army of bar staff and an enormous number of taps, tills, security guys etc.

Except you have to rent the taps and pay the staff for the whole night, not just for the 30 minute period in which demand peaks. That's a huge added cost.

So then that cost has to be borne in either the cost of the beer or the cost of the ticket, and people are already very sensitive about both.

That's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

It wasn't just for 30 minutes or before the gig, it seemed to be all the way through.

I got fecked up on some sort of wine they were selling. Just bought a bottle for 35 euro because I didn’t wanna que again. Had a few cans before and a few pints after, then a few cans when I got home.

Gig was great. Didn’t bother anyone. There was one or two greedy guts falling over and waffling the ears off people but in general the atmosphere was great.

Ireland doesn’t have a drink problem it has an
    a hole problem.

Some of them are sober some are drunk. In general everyone else is sound.

???? How desperate were you for a drink during the gig? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Some people can't go 2 minutes without a can of some warm piss in their hands.

Love the "few cans before and a few pints after, then a few cans when I got home" yet Ireland doesn't have a drink problem. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stevie S

Jaysus man. You've been whinging the whole thread and I don't even think you were at the gig from a comment I read few days ago

Stevie S wrote: »
    Jaysus man. You've been whinging the whole thread and I don't even think you were at the gig from a comment I read few days ago

I live across the road, so heard it all. :)

People have stressful lives, jobs, blah blah blah, if someone wants to let off a bit off steam on a lovely sunny day listening to Liam Gallagher while they queue for a beer, what on earth is the problem.

This is not an Irish thing, with an Irish drink problem. It’s the same in every country I’ve ever gone to a festival/gig at

Could you imagine how boring gigs would be if everyone was a dry ****e

People have stressful lives, jobs, blah blah blah, if someone wants to let off a bit off steam on a lovely sunny day listening to Liam Gallagher while they queue for a beer, what on earth is the problem.

This is not an Irish thing, with an Irish drink problem. It’s the same in every country I’ve ever gone to a festival/gig at

That's fine if that someone is happy out queueing at the bar. But this kicked off when some punter said that it was a disaster that there were long queues. The general point is why queue up before the gig, or worse still during the gig, for that pint of watered down plss, when you are missing some of the music that you paid for.
    Whether you like to admit it or not, the mentality of "I really have to have that one extra drink to properly enjoy this concert" does reek of at least a slight drink problem. Not everyone obviously, but yes for a lot of people.

• Advertisement

There are many gigs that I have gone to, where I prayed that everybody there would turn in to a dry shlte for that particular evening so that I could enjoy the music, and not have to ingest everything that was happening in their own private lives

It's not the same in every country. I agree with the previous poster. People complaining about the length of queues to get to the bar. Don't spend 20 or 30 mins queueing at the bar then, and miss 5 songs or so while doing so.
    If you have to pay 35e for a bottle of wine, more power to the bar for getting some idiot to pay that much for it, and more's the fool for paying it...

THe reason the ques happened was because there was a big delay getting in. I turned up for the start of Ashcroft and got in for his last couple of songs.

As for getting drunk. Why not? I like to get a bit typist sometimes so does the wife. The kids were away for the night. Should I stay sober because you are judging me or should I do what I want so long as I’m not bothering anybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

That's fine if that someone is happy out queueing at the bar. But this kicked off when some punter said that it was a disaster that there were long queues. The general point is why queue up before the gig, or worse still during the gig, for that pint of watered down plss, when you are missing some of the music that you paid for.
    Whether you like to admit it or not, the mentality of "I really have to have that one extra drink to properly enjoy this concert" does reek of at least a slight drink problem. Not everyone obviously, but yes for a lot of people.

No one missed anything. It was an outdoor gig there you could see and hear everything from the queue.

Imagine when you went to buy your tickets it said “you have to queue for 20 mins so will miss 3 or 4 songs”

No one missed anything. It was an outdoor gig there you could see and hear everything from the queue.

Rock and roll! Doing the gig in the queue.

Very Irish behaviour. Really only the Irish and sh1thole England who do that. No one else in the world does. Same crew who go to Irish bars on holiday. Paddy on holiday stuff. Ole olers. People who clap when the plane lands.

The Nal wrote: »

Very Irish behaviour. Really only the Irish and sh1thole England who do that. No one else in the world does. Same crew who go to Irish bars on holiday. Paddy on holiday stuff. Ole olers. People who clap when the plane lands.

When people say it only happens in Ireland usually they mean it only happens in the countries they have spent more than a week in. Happens everywhere.

I live across the road, so heard it all. :)

So you weren't even at it ?

When people say it only happens in Ireland usually they mean it only happens in the countries they have spent more than a week in. Happens everywhere.

No it doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The Nal wrote: »

I’ve been to gigs all over Europe and the US. There are queues to the bar in every country.

Advertisement