Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepay electricity bord gais

Options
  • 27-10-2017 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Sorry if I’m wrong section so mods please move if not
    Just got a letter from bord gais saying my electricity is going up by 5.9% on 1st Nov .It already seems expensive per week to run with them so I’m wondering if anyone know a cheaper company to go with ?( I’m not sure of total charges with them sorry )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭cml387

If you are on pre-pay you already are paying over the odds.

This site allows you to compare prices, but you need to do some work upfront (your annual consumption, night rate? etc.) to get the best out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you can get off prepay that will save substantial amounts immediately in most cases and allow a proper comparison as prepay rates are usually has higher with a higher standing charge also

If you must stay prepay, BG and Electric Ireland are the only reasonably priced options

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

Thanks I actually prefer prepay to be honest because my bills were always erratic and I never got same bill twice so it’s easier just to top it up as needed I just don’t like the idea that a few days before they send a letter with price hike

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

Thanks I actually prefer prepay to be honest because my bills were always erratic and I never got same bill twice so it’s easier just to top it up as needed I just don’t like the idea that a few days before they send a letter with price hike

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭cml387

Well you pays your money and you takes your choice. Notice of a few days or a few weeks is immaterial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved toAccommodation & Property

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

You can go on level pay with all of the energy companies which means you will pay the exact same amount every month and you will avoid the high charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Sinbad311

Been looking into switching from PPP myself, did a bit of research and Energia were working out the cheapest for me. I went for fix pay (level pay), they ask you some questions (how many people in house, how many rooms) etc. and they suggest a figure to pay every month.
    For me it will work out anywhere from 25 - 30 euro pm cheaper compared to PPP. I am like you in the fact that I like being able to top up when needed, but thats a big price to pay... choice is yours!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Sinbad311 wrote: »
    Been looking into switching from PPP myself, did a bit of research and Energia were working out the cheapest for me. I went for fix pay (level pay), they ask you some questions (how many people in house, how many rooms) etc. and they suggest a figure to pay every month.
    For me it will work out anywhere from 25 - 30 euro pm cheaper compared to PPP. I am like you in the fact that I like being able to top up when needed, but thats a big price to pay... choice is yours!!!!

had prepaid myself costs around 90 eruo a month removed it back to bill pay its much cheaper a 56 euro a month
    Prepay never again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I have a prepay meter with Bord Gais. I top it up with €10 a week. When I had bills I couldn't keep on top of them and they'd go into arrears.
    Same with the gas.

So we had the meters installed and we find it a much easier way of managing our money and not worry about big bills coming in.

I also find you're more savvy and switch off plugs and appliances not being used, so that's a bonus.

I know people have their doubts about the meters but for me I really can't afford to be getting myself into debt (and I'm not just talking financially; mentally too).

• Advertisement
Advertisement