Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Questions about accommodation grant and having a job whilst receiving a grant

• 27-10-2017 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello,

As you may know, living in Dublin is very costly and commuting up from where I live would be quite a pain. I am currently doing a PLC course and I hope to progress to DIT or DCU next year. I received a full maintenance grant (Around €330 a month) as the college I'm attending is 55KM away.

I have heard the maximum you can receive from SUSI is around €3500 a year but then I have heard of people receiving a lot more than that. Does SUSI offer grants that will cover accommodation costs? From where I live, it would be 75KM to DIT and 95 to DCU.

Also, I am going to be starting a part-time job soon enough, will that affect my chances of receiving the grant and the amount I'll receive for the 2018/2019 college year? I will only be earning about €200 per week from this job and there isn't a guarantee for a permanent contract either. I wouldn't be able to afford going to college without the grant even with the job. Would it work out better if I was to decline the job and receive the grant if I am eligible?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement