Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black box detections

Options
  • 27-10-2017 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just read this article about AIG cancelling insurance for people speeding which is understandable.

https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/insurer-cancels-motorists-policies-after-devices-show-them-speeding-36266006.html

My question I want to raise for debate is the below statement

"Telematics involves attaching a device, sometimes called a black box, to a car to monitor the location, movements, status and behaviour of a vehicle.

The device records where it has travelled, how fast it has gone, (how fast the brakes were applied, if the horn was used and whether the vehicle swerved or not.)"

The part in brackets is what I'm questioning

Why on earth does how fast the breaks were applied, if a horn was used or if the car swerved have to do with insurance? And why is it tracked?

Many scenarios occur daily where a horn has to be used. Breaks are applied quick if an urgent stop is required to prevent a crash and swerving can happen to avoid an impact with someone.

Can anyone throw some comments to this as im baffeled they cover this information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

If could help identifying aggressive or dangerous driver.

Especially if it's a regular thing.

I doubt they cancelled someone's policy because he used a horn and swerved once.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

If they are logging 5000 people and say 10 are playing with the horn all the time etc - something is up

Matter of time before the devices are mandatory on everything :

It called for legislation to make these telematics-based devices mandatory for all drivers under the age of 25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I think you answered your own question OP. If you regularly have to engage urgent stops, swerving and sounding your horn, then perhaps that is an indicator that you need to review your driving habits

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Why on earth does how fast the breaks were applied, if a horn was used or if the car swerved have to do with insurance? And why is it tracked?

Slamming on the brakes is a sign of poor driving skills and/or aggressive driving ....
    • driving too close to the guy in front
    • not anticipating events so you have to brake at the last minute
    • speeding up to crash a red light and then changing your mind
    All of which lead to frequent and sudden application of the brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

My question I want to raise for debate is the below statement

"Telematics involves attaching a device, sometimes called a black box, to a car to monitor the location, movements, status and behaviour of a vehicle.

The device records where it has travelled, how fast it has gone, (how fast the brakes were applied, if the horn was used and whether the vehicle swerved or not.)"

The part in brackets is what I'm questioning

Many scenarios occur daily where a horn has to be used. Breaks are applied quick if an urgent stop is required to prevent a crash and swerving can happen to avoid an impact with someone.

I'd agree with you to a point, whether I'm 'heavy' on brakes doesn't say anything. I could just as well have a greater appreciation of how much grip I have and how to exert it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement