Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackrock Station up for rent (including the booking office)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Maybe this is a stupid question and I apologize for being naive, but they're actually renting the whole stations, rather than just some land in it, including the ticket office, gates and passenger areas?

If so it just goes to show along with the recent advertising of sidings near stations that running public transport is the least of the concerns of CIE and is merely an inconvenience for what is actually a property company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Renting, and just the station building. But with vacant possession

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I wonder How much the actual savings/income will be.

Presumably they will have less station staff and this will be as much of a saving if not more than the rental income.

Rental income will presumably go to Group Property not Irish Rail. I don't know if they have to pay rent to the group currently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

no indication of how the passenger facilities will be provided after the station buildings are rented out? They'll still need ticket machines and turnstiles. Greystones is apparently going to be staffless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ah but begod shur itl be grand something something don't you know!!

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

ah but begod shur itl be grand something something don't you know!!

That's the most legible post you've ever made here:pac:

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

L1011 wrote: »

Blackrock is the oldest station building in Ireland, and it still functions as a railway station.

Is nothing sacred?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

With increased automation (ticket machines, barriers etc) there is little need for physical buildings bar some shelter/toilets. I'm sure in this case that can be catered for trackside and they will rent the rest of the building rather than leaving it idle as per most of the railway stations nowadays, especially smaller ones. Makes sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A boutique pub probably seems like the most appropriate use of the space; a hotel beside a railway line is no use and as a restaurant it's a bit tucked away.

Interesting to see what someone comes up with as a use for it, and whether the terms of lease will require that the platform(s) are still accessible from the building.

Licences for pubs in railway stations are 'free' (solicitors/licencing court time still required) at that - the requirement for customers to have a ticket is only enforced on Good Friday. Think Howth was the last time one was generated for an Irish Rail station when the Bloody Stream opened. Gerry Robinson got one for the tea rooms at his mini railway though!

However, with the pub in Bray station sitting empty for donkeys years at this stage there may not be the demand out there. Blackrock has other empty pubs in it already for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Brothel?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

road_high wrote: »
    there is little need for physical buildings bar some shelter/toilets.

Apart from Bray, Pearse and Connolly, I do not think any of the suburban stations have toilets any more.
    It is a shameful inconvenience, especially since DART emus do not have any toilets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Licences for pubs in railway stations are 'free' (solicitors/licencing court time still required) at that - the requirement for customers to have a ticket is only enforced on Good Friday. Think Howth was the last time one was generated for an Irish Rail station when the Bloody Stream opened. Gerry Robinson got one for the tea rooms at his mini railway though!

However, with the pub in Bray station sitting empty for donkeys years at this stage there may not be the demand out there. Blackrock has other empty pubs in it already for one.

Bray no longer has one because of security issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Be great if they stuck in another wetherspoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 clemop

Grassey wrote: »
    Be great if they stuck in another wetherspoons.

Would two be enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Theres a pub in Bray railway station? Any more info on it?

Thargor wrote: »
    Theres a pub in Bray railway station? Any more info on it?

Not a lot to be said - it was to the left of the station entrance with platform entrance too. Nice old fashioned looking pub but probably would have been more successful as a station buffet but not serving alcohol. Operated for several years in the early part of the 21st century.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Bray no longer has one because of security issues.

Suspect CIE Group Property would willingly let it out again with suitable security staffing guarantees from the lessor

• Advertisement

tabbey wrote: »
    Apart from Bray, Pearse and Connolly, I do not think any of the suburban stations have toilets any more.
    It is a shameful inconvenience, especially since DART emus do not have any toilets.

Maynooth has toilets on the platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Nenagh station too is for let.

https://touch.daft.ie/tipperary/commercial-property-for-rent/offices-for-rent/part-of-residence-at-nenagh-station-nenagh-tipperary-123054

Makes sense to convert these buildings into some sort of student accommodation instead of offices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Blackrock is the oldest station building in Ireland, and it still functions as a railway station.

Is nothing sacred?

The vast majority of the population wouldn't know, the rest couldn't care less if it was demolished in the morning and replaced with a bus-shelter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

The vast majority of the population wouldn't know, the rest couldn't care less if it was demolished in the morning and replaced with a bus-shelter.

You'd be surprised, if it was to be demolished ( which isnt going to happen) many people would protest.

Maynooth has toilets on the platform.

Maynooth has mainline services to Sligo, and is a university town, so probably has them on these grounds.
    Are they clearly signed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You'd be surprised, if it was to be demolished ( which isnt going to happen) many people would protest.

Outright demolition isn't going to happen, right enough, but we have a p*ss-poor record as regards built heritage compared to other places... 'listing' a disused building involves allowing it to rot away until such time as it is deemed unsafe. Then the windows are blocked, the palisade fences go up and it continues to rot until such time as the roof caves in or fires lit by persons unknown claim it.

If by chance, it is to be redeveloped, gutting the interior and leaving just the façade intact is the usual thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I think Dun Laoghaire still has them (though its been many years since i was on a train at that point) i remember the warm glow of the anti-junkie lights.

I think Dun Laoghaire still has them (though its been many years since i was on a train at that point) i remember the warm glow of the anti-junkie lights.

Dun Laoghaire still has them AFAIK but the last time I enquired I was warned off by a staff member - junkies.

DunLaoghaire toilets were closed several years ago, apparently because of vandalism. Given the poor lighting, this was not surprising. But any excuse for IR to close them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

And the best way for it be preserved is for it to be used and have an economic value... And if that includes facilities for the traveling public then so much the better...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/braypeople/news/irish-rail-assures-members-it-will-not-close-station-36574964.html
    A deputation from Irish Rail confirmed that the station will not be touched.

They told members that the station will continue to operate, and be managed from Bray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

DunLaoghaire toilets were closed several years ago, apparently because of vandalism. Given the poor lighting, this was not surprising. But any excuse for IR to close them.

Junkies and Vandalising scumbags are the reason noone can have these toilets. We simply dont have effective deterrents against these kinds of lowlifes so thats why you cant have nice things.

Infini wrote: »
    Junkies and Vandalising scumbags are the reason noone can have these toilets. We simply dont have effective deterrents against these kinds of lowlifes so thats why you cant have nice things.

This is true, but not a good enough reason for closing them. People have human needs, which should come first.

Forty years ago virtually every station had toilets. In those days vandalism was rare, but I recall the ticket checker in Dun Laoghaire stopping a suspicious passenger at the barrier, the latter was found to have a toilet seat under his coat, stolen from the Gents.

Nowadays no DART train has a toilet, so station toilets are needed more than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 friday one

The junkie issue is the overiding one. 40 years ago, they were the exception. Today in Dublin they fear nothing. The Gardai have given up even pretending to try and do something (whether it's laziness, fear or the knowledge there are no punishments handed out I don't know).

Advertisement