Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER

Options
  • 27-10-2017 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

Was looking at a detached house which was built circa 2005 but the BER was a D1, which I thought was very low. I thought it would have been a B rating. Its a lovely house apart from this. Has anyone bought similar?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

B rating in 2005. Not a chance u less someone went way above and beyond during the build.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

The BER on a 2nd hand house is a meaningless piece of information when you consider the way the rating is generated. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

It's a complete joke and money racket. There are so many elements to it, that it gives no indication what is lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

MicktheMan wrote: »
    The BER on a 2nd hand house is a meaningless piece of information when you consider the way the rating is generated. :(

Can you explain what you mean by this?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Its guesswork based on guessing the efficiency of heating/lighting; insulative values etc. They don't actually perform testing for any of that.

A bad assessor can cause a result to go wrong in either direction at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rossmores

complete and utter waste of time got a place rated before an apartment it got a bad rating according to the tenant it the coziest place they have ever lived and require minimum heating different people are effected by temps as well maybe we all should be rated its just a money racket i make them up dont bother getting them anymore.
    dont have to be told to insulate do it even before these stupid rules came aaaaahhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rossmores

complete and utter waste of time got a place rated before an apartment it got a bad rating according to the tenant it the coziest place they have ever lived and require minimum heating different people are effected by temps as well maybe we all should be rated its just a money racket i make them up dont bother getting them anymore.
    dont have to be told to insulate do it even before these stupid rules came aaaaahhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

I totally agree its not a test, its more of a guess-timate.
    A proper test would involve turning all the heating on for 24 hours and taking thermal images to see where its leaking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

I used to own two apartments, bought from new right next door to each other. When the ber rules came in I got the first one done on the next change of tenant. Then 6 months later I got the other one done when changing that tenant.
    The apartments are the mirror image of each other with the exact same furnishings.
    One got a E rating and the other a C.
    Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

L1011 wrote: »
    Its guesswork based on guessing the efficiency of heating/lighting; insulative values etc. They don't actually perform testing for any of that.

A bad assessor can cause a result to go wrong in either direction at that.

Wow I would have presumed there was some tests which could have been performed to determine this as this can have a big effect on the price.

So these "A rated homes" are just someone's opinion then.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Yes, quite simply, too many assumptions are made based on property / extension(s) age. No quantitative testing required.

Wow I would have presumed there was some tests which could have been performed to determine this as this can have a big effect on the price.

Higher ratings need further testing including air tightness. Think this even goes as low as a B, maybe just B1.

You can still have a high rated houses that is high rated due to how it looks on paper and has severe construction issues that make it cold and damp, such as cold bridging. Also, I believe that on a housing estate they can get some houses tested and not all of them - clearly you get the ones that you know were built best tested...

The difference between maybe two full notches below B - so B->D, C->E and so on - could be down to a bad assessor or extremely minor differences that have absolutely nowhere near that impact in real life.

I've got a re-test on Thursday after replacing a boiler (grant requirement) and I'm fairly certain that the existing cert is at least a full notch if not two too low due to being a work of fiction - the house it is describing isn't anything like the house its issued for! Lazy fecker didn't even stick a head in to the attic for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

tina1040 wrote: »
    It's a complete joke and money racket. There are so many elements to it, that it gives no indication what is lacking.

Bought a house last year with a C2 rating. Have recently gotten the boiler upgraded and the new rating is a D2.

Most of the A rated homes are new builds. Therefore the full build up of the buildings are observed, certified and put on paper.

That means the A rating in a new build at least carries some merit.

kceire wrote: »
    Therefore the full build up of the buildings are observed, certified and put on paper.

Allegedly. We see how useless the building control was in the boom for instance.

Allegedly. We see how useless the building control was in the boom for instance.

Building Control is irrelevant. This is a private sector contractor engaging a private sector BER assessor so if any corruption is or has taken place then its private sector corruption.

Building Control is irrelevant. This is a private sector contractor engaging a private sector BER assessor so if any corruption is or has taken place then its private sector corruption.

A contractor engaging an engineer who signed off on stuff that wasn't checked was also private sector corruption!

A contractor engaging an engineer who signed off on stuff that wasn't checked was also private sector corruption!

Ohh I know. That’s my point.
    Self certification here since 1990 and the implimentation of the Building Control Act.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

__..__ wrote: »
    I used to own two apartments, bought from new right next door to each other.  When the ber rules came in I got the first one done on the next change of tenant.  Then 6 months later I got the other one done when changing that tenant.
    The apartments are the mirror image of each other with the exact same furnishings.
    One got a E rating and the other a C.
    Make of that what you will.
    I find it strange that there would be such a huge difference if they build together. The BER is only a guesstimate but its formulaic so there should be a clear reason for the difference.

robp wrote: »
    I find it strange that there would be such a huge difference if they build together. The BER is only a guesstimate but its formulaic so there should be a clear reason for the difference.

Crap assessors. Bad input = bad output when something is formulaic.

The software is downloadable from the SEAI website but I don't know if you need logins to use it. If not, give it a go and see what horrors you can create by bad input - messing up imperial-metric area conversions would be a damn easy one.

• Advertisement

You don’t need a log in to use it but you need an assessor Number to save the data against an address and to output a result/rating.

Some assessors will be better than others, even simply making mistakes with measurements can skew the result.

You also have to be able to work out the u-value of each element build up and insert it.

You also have to be able to work out the u-value of each element build up and insert it.

Which is basically guesswork on an existing build and utterly reliant on it being done right/consistently.

The granularity is nuts considering how clearly flawed it is. "Good" "OK" "Bad" is about all it can give really.

Which is basically guesswork on an existing build and utterly reliant on it being done right/consistently.

The granularity is nuts considering how clearly flawed it is. "Good" "OK" "Bad" is about all it can give really.

Pretty much. Unless you have detailed drawings you are guessing based on the style of construction.

BER on existing stock should be added with an air tight test but this will drive up the costs associated with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

robp wrote: »

Anyone who knows how this stuff works would expect it never mind find it strange.

Advertisement