Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A fcuk you to insurance companies

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I think €45,000 would have probably been 15,000 if it was settled.

Quick and easy settlements are part of the reason we have huge premiums now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Your legal team may have been dragging their feet and been incompetent,so as time moves on 15 goes to 30 and 30 goes to 45 and so on.

Usually takes between 2 and 3 year's to settle a case like this.

Are you sure it was 5 kph as my car would probably do 20kph without even touching the accelerator in first gear....

They had rejected previous offers from my insurers, took the claim all the way to the high court.

As regards the accident - I was in first gear in slow moving traffic, trying to join a roundabout.No damage done to their car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Quick and easy settlements are part of the reason we have huge premiums now

In fairness can you blame the insurance companies. 15k payout. Battle it and you'll be looking at 85k total payout.

I mean come on, how can you go from 15k to 85k. Ireland's justice system is run by lunatics. Its really is.

You have to laugh at the ads the insurance companies run.

Half the claim is heading to the justice system. They are the real crooks in all this.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

trixiebust wrote: »
    I absolutely think they were lying. The report reads like a glorified sore back. A healing time of 3 to 6 months.

Begrudgery?? I had a very, very minor tip with another car, 45k + 45k in costs is the result. This isn't begrudgery, it's common sense. Figures like this are lunacy.
    My report possibly also read like a glorified sore neck but that doesn't mean I was lying.
    You're bitter because you fecked up. Don't make assumptions over the other person though as not everyone is a scammer!
    As for the costs, these would have not occurred if you were more careful. I note that you haven't made any suggestions as to what the expensive legal and medical fees should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Here's the book of quantum, people can decide if awards are over generous or not (I believe they are - massively so)

Thing is the level of these awards is not the fault of companies. Neither are the other factors that have lead to Increased awards when litigation is involved

Insurance awards are like most things in Ireland - other people's money being thrown around. Normally it's the taxpayer's money and as there's so few net contributors in Ireland most people don't care. Is this case it costs everyone who drives

You can't have injury awards way above the norm in other countries and low premiums, it's simply not possible

• Advertisement

Holy ****, so if you break your nose in a crash your up a minimum of 18k for a minor injury.

So get a hit in the back of the car folks, get someone to give you a quick slap across the face.

Reading over that document the more I read it, the more I am thinking that the person who wrote that was either drunk or high on drugs..

E. Hand

Minor up to €21,700

Minor sprains are mild injuries where there is no tearing of the ligament, and often
    no movement is lost, although there may be tenderness and slight swelling which
    has substantially recovered.

Is that for real, €21,700 for spraining your wrist?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

When I was heavily pregnant I wanted to get into my car and I parked in a temporary parking spot where the road wasn't great, there were a lot of potholes. I actually didn't see properly of course because huge bump and tripped, almost fell and sprained my ankle that I had struggles walking until the baby was here.
    I jokingly said I should totally sue the council for some money. Now that I read that and the more I read about these payouts it's scary to think I probably would have won. It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

TallGlass wrote: »
    Holy ****, so if you break your nose in a crash your up a minimum of 18k for a minor injury.

So get a hit in the back of the car folks, get someone to give you a quick slap across the face.

Reading over that document the more I read it, the more I am thinking that the person who wrote that was either drunk or high on drugs..

E. Hand

Minor up to €21,700

Minor sprains are mild injuries where there is no tearing of the ligament, and often
    no movement is lost, although there may be tenderness and slight swelling which
    has substantially recovered.

Is that for real, €21,700 for spraining your wrist?

The book of quantum hadn't been updated since the inception of the injuries board (the old PIAB) in 2004 or 2005 I think

Scanned it a week or two ago and was simply flabbergasted at some of the award levels. Awards like this are why premiums are so high. Yes the nasty insurance companies want to make a profit (just like any private enterprise) but your ire (not specifically aimed at you TallGlass) is misplaced.

Also just to clarify the book of quantum is publicly available. I haven't posted up anything confidential

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

trixiebust wrote:
    The medical report, which I still have, stated a recovery time of 3 to 6 months. It's basically a sore back for a while.Oh, anxiety was also included - client previously suffering, which was exacerbated by the ' crash '.

To be fair, my medical report said they expected a full recovery in 6 months as I have soft tissue damage from a crash coming onto the link from the Kinsale road roundabout, I was in physio yesterday 9 years after the accident, I wasn't at fault and I'm still suffering and probably will be for life so it's not all chancers claiming for tissue damage, I also have nerve damage where if anyone touches me without warning I get vicious spasms, keep your 85k if I could have my back repaired!

There is no doubting that whiplash is a terrible thing. The problem is that it cannot be detected by scans or X-rays, so the level of pain is down to what the person says it is. Couple that with high compensation levels and the temptation is too much for some. The UK is moving to treatment based compensation, something a fraudster wouldn't be interested in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Until such time the legal profession are held accountable for encouraging scammers, getting them to exaggerate their claims, encouraging scum to claim and then creating a near unbelievable bs story of "how this has ruined my life" which creates stupidly ridiculous awards by courts, then the scammers and high awards will continue.

Alan Shatter was the only politician that was willing to take on the legal profession, but was thwarted by the profession and their contacts in the media.

Of course if you call out the scamming legal profession they'll sue you for defamation.

Imagine - there is no independent body you can make a complaint to about a solicitor no matter how incompetent they are.

And that needs to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Claims will keep increasing exponentially and here's my take on it.
    Obviously, the scum will keep the exaggerated claims up and bring more scum into the game. That is one ever increasing circle. (No slight on the genuine claimants)

But I foresee a new group becoming involved. That group are the decent, non litigious type. The type that gets out of the car after a rear end tip and says 'ah there's no damage, go on'. But this type are being ridden senseless every year by the Ins co's so it's only a matter of time before 'enough is enough' and the next chance they get, they go for the claim.

Gen.Zhukov wrote:
    But I foresee a new group becoming involved. That group are the decent, non litigious type. The type that gets out of the car after a rear end tip and says 'ah there's no damage, go on'. But this type are being ridden senseless every year by the Ins co's so it's only a matter of time before 'enough is enough' and the next chance they get, they go for the claim.

We passed that stage a few years back. Every class, creed and colour is tempted

I have to agree I think Shatter was certainly one of the best if not the best Minister for Justice this country has ever seen. Sadly, hindsight is a great thing now. I also think the current Tánaiste we have is quite literally one of the worst Minister for Justices we have ever had. I don't blame her, but it really is a position for someone with a Justice background to know what is going on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

There is no doubting that whiplash is a terrible thing. The problem is that it cannot be detected by scans or X-rays, so the level of pain is down to what the person says it is. Couple that with high compensation levels and the temptation is too much for some. The UK is moving to treatment based compensation, something a fraudster wouldn't be interested in.

That'd be interesting if it ever appears here.

The lawyers would hate it though, which might make it impossible to introduce.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

There is no doubting that whiplash is a terrible thing.

Stop right there.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

That'd be interesting if it ever appears here.

The lawyers would hate it though, which might make it impossible to introduce.

be great news for osteopaths, chiropractors and other practitioners of voodoo.

galwaytt wrote:
    Stop right there.

No

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Op did you post the same thread months back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Gatling wrote:
    Op did you post the same thread months back

Yes - when the claimants figure was awarded. The total paid out arrived & it was doubled. From the injuries described, the payout & fees are extortionate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement