Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arriving at the Airport Early

Options
  • 27-10-2017 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Have you ever arrived to the airport more than three hours before your flight?

My options for when the bus lands to Dublin Airport from Donegal is 12am and 5am.

I ask because I would rather get there at 12am, check in, get the pre-clearance, sleep in the chair from about 1am or 2am-5am, relax in the Executive Lounge for two hours, then aboard my flight rather than arriving at 5am, trying to find where to check in, dealing with the slow process of security, including U.S pre-clearance, and pretty much only having time for a quick cup of tea before boarding time. May seem odd, but I like to taking my time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Absolutely agree with you fields. A breakdown on the bus for 30 mins could leave you too tight particularly if travelling west. Nowadays 3 hours for an American flight would be best anyway. Nice and quiet upstairs too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

If you haven't checked in online and need to physically check in, the check in desk for your flight might not be open at 12am. Might be something to check with the airline before you make a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Unfortunately I doubt you'll be able to check in at that time and also afaik pre-clearance doesn't open until 6am.

If you could afford it, the best option would be to get to Dublin the evening before and treat yourself to a relaxing night in a hotel close to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

It rather depends on the time of the flight, I wouldn't volunteer to spend hours there if I didn't have to. Decent sleep is all but impossible in the Airport, even with lounge access, spending most of the night landside is even worse.

If as above you can't check-in until or go through US immigration until well after the later bus arrives then it is a bit pointless to get the earlier one.

I would say either get the later bus or go the day before and stay in a hotel near the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

We traveled with United to New York a few weeks and we got up to airport early.
    Most of the check ins for flights to the states opened between 6 and 6.30 and then the pre-clearance did not open till after 7...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Yea check in doesn't open till 6 and preclearance dosnt open till 7

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Go up the day before and get a room in one of the nearby hotels. Some decent ones around and they cost around 100-120 for a twin room with a shuttle bus included to the airport. I can't remember all the ones I stayed in but Clayton and Crown plaza were decent enough with good food and a relaxing atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

jester77 wrote: »
    Go up the day before and get a room in one of the nearby hotels. Some decent ones around and they cost around 100-120 for a twin room with a shuttle bus included to the airport. I can't remember all the ones I stayed in but Clayton and Crown plaza were decent enough with good food and a relaxing atmosphere.
    We were going to do this again this year but the prices of hotels had gone mad money, most places looking for 250 quid, while a couple of years ago as you mentioned rooms could be got for close to €100

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

harr wrote: »
    We were going to do this again this year but the prices of hotels had gone mad money, most places looking for 250 quid, while a couple of years ago as you mentioned rooms could be got for close to €100
    except on a busy Saturday night on an all Ireland final weekend or similar, you can get great deals on the Premier inn (i.e. next Sunday night for €48, for example) which has a shuttle bus to the airport starting at 4 in the morning or so

Its just a pity its their only hotel in Ireland.

Advertisement