Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Ironman 70.3 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

This is what it says on the website

07:00 IRONMAN 70.3 Dun Laoghaire Rolling Swim Starts

9:10 Swim Completed & Final Cut Off

18:30 Transition Closes & Event Finish.

Originally from: http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman-70.3/dun-laoghaire/athletes/schedule.aspx#ixzz5Nzn7Kcnk

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭s_gr

What is the verdict on using road bike v TT

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Diego Murphy

s_gr wrote: »

I've never cycled the route but I've done similar ones and I've tried using a TT bike. It's doable but takes a lot more out of you on the climbs, so I'm my opinion it would be a lot more comfortable on a road bike. I certainly wouldn't be going near it on a tt.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rxchxy

Milk_Tray wrote: »
    Red flags up at Sandycove due to Lions mane being spotted! Lets hope they clear it soon!!!

Swim ban lifted already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

I've never cycled the route but I've done similar ones and I've tried using a TT bike. It's doable but takes a lot more out of you on the climbs, so I'm my opinion it would be a lot more comfortable on a road bike. I certainly wouldn't be going near it on a tt.

Cycled the route again yesterday.

Roadbike
    • Better to climb
    • Better to descend
    • More comfortable overall riding position

TT Bike
    • Faster on flat
    • Lighter
    • More aero, perhaps less energy usage

I'm leaning towards Roadbike because I feel much more comfortable descending on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

s_gr wrote: »

You are a week before the race.

Whatever you have trained on use.

Figuring out which bike should have been done before you did the training

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I don’t own a TT bike.
    I have a road bike and an aero road bike with Tri bars.

I’ve now done the route three times and I can’t imagine being in the tuck position on a TT bike going up some of those climbs or indeed going down some of the descents.

I’m happy with aero road bike with Tri bars and that’s what I’ll be using.

The road surface going down from Johnny Foxes is now complete.

The route will prob come in at 86km with 1360m elevation or at least that’s what I clocked today.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Have done the route on both Road and TT bike, and for me it's a Road bike course (with clip on aero bars). But the best advice is this:
    mossym wrote: »
    You are a week before the race.

Whatever you have trained on use.

Figuring out which bike should have been done before you did the training

I notice that the registration for parking is also closed. I'm not familiar with the car park that they are talking about at the ferry terminal? Is it possible that it's sold out or will it still be possible to buy the €12 parking space at registration? Just want to have a plan B in place if necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

I notice that the registration for parking is also closed. I'm not familiar with the car park that they are talking about at the ferry terminal? Is it possible that it's sold out or will it still be possible to buy the €12 parking space at registration? Just want to have a plan B in place if necessary

I drove to DL last year and parked no issues - maybe 15 min walk then to bike area. Depends on what time you wanna be there but if race starts 7AM and guessing you may wanna be in the area for 6:15AM then don't think you should have issue getting parking in local area. Major road closures start at 6:30AM so reckon get parked before then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Statler wrote: »
    Have done the route on both Road and TT bike, and for me it's a Road bike course (with clip on aero bars). But the best advice is this:

Would't fancy some of the descent's in TT position... the one over Lough Tay is a tight descent on a bumpy surface, similar for short descent at top of Enniskerry too - I always gotta remove my bottle and put in back of my jersey on that descent as it invariably works its way up out of bottle cage.. :D

Cruagh Rd is a very fast descent too and surface is not too bad.. There really are not that many points on the course where you can really get the head down for a long distance and burn up major miles in TT position.

My thoughts of course.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Younganddumb

Just wondering will there be a bag drop for the practice swim on Saturday morning? On my own and no where to put car keys...I’m leaving towards no, the briefing doc is fairly comprehensive and there’s no mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭WicklowTiger

Just wondering will there be a bag drop for the practice swim on Saturday morning? On my own and no where to put car keys...I’m leaving towards no, the briefing doc is fairly comprehensive and there’s no mention.
    Lifeguards in Sandycove kept my keys last week when I went for a swim, try that if you're stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

Stupid question but will they do any sort of reccie of the swim and remove any jellies if they can before the race (from the surface)? Or will noting be done? Curious as a lot have been spotted recently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Stupid question but will they do any sort of reccie of the swim and remove any jellies if they can before the race (from the surface)? Or will noting be done? Curious as a lot have been spotted recently

I believe they do that after they pick the pebbles from the sand and right before they heat the water :D

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I believe they do that after they pick the pebbles from the sand and right before they heat the water :D

I know its a stupid question but thought they might do something :o

I know its a stupid question but thought they might do something :o

Sure they'd easily float by at anytime. :) Put some vaseline on your face and hands if you're overly worried and avoid lads that are screaming in the water (It might be a shark ;) but more likely a jellyfish)

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Sure they'd easily float by at anytime. :) Put some vaseline on your face and hands if you're overly worried and avoid lads that are screaming in the water (It might be a shark ;) but more likely a jellyfish)

hahaha, the screams might be me!

hahaha, the screams might be me!

The first soldier out of the trenches usually gets the worst of it. Don't be the first soldier ;)

You'll be grand. :)

I'll be well at the back, so hopefully all the stings are used up and its a clear path to freedom!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

You’ll be in a wetsuit so very little exposed flesh to sting. You’ll be grand.

Should try the Leinster Open Swims, no wetsuits and lots of flesh for stinging 😎

Had a bad race couple of weeks ago in Malahide where a barrel jellyfish of some sort (Lions mane??) stung me from foot to shoulder all along my left side. It’s sore but manageable. Stick an antihistamines in your T1 bag and if you get stung take one before the bike.

The fear of being stung is worse than being stung.

Looks from the forecast that the last of the rain will be passing through during the swim. Hopefully it doesn't impact on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm not coming out to support yee if it is raining.

Don't cycle over pain on the road, while going downhill if road is wet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

i will throw an absolute hissy fit if they shorten the swim

miller82 wrote: »

BIGTIME......all the toys will be thrown out of the pram

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Do posters here write up race reports? Havent seen any and I would really love to read some about this weekends race. Thought I might get up to the start to enjoy the atmosphere and do some supporting but it's looking less and less likely.

Targetting 2020 for this race :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

miller82 wrote: »

Genuine question: why would rain cause them to shorten swim? Or is it the likely wind/swell that would accompany the rain that would cause an issue?

TBH, I’d be more concerned about the cycle in the rain (some of those descents could be hairy!) but it looks at the moment that the rain will ease off by the time most people are up in the mountains

EDit wrote: »
    Genuine question: why would rain cause them to shorten swim? Or is it the likely wind/swell that would accompany the rain that would cause an issue

Wind/Swell. Sea is flat calm now but could be some swell Sunday morning according to magic seaweed

https://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-Surf-Chart/1/?type=wind&spot_id=694&timestamp=1534507200

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

This may also be a stupid question. Do people wear tri suits throughout or change after the swim to something warm ( long sleeve cycle top). I'm gonna be on the bike around the 4 hour mark.
    Some day I hope to ask which bike to use or best advice for aero helmet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭The Machine

I'll be wearing a Tri Suit under my wetsuit for the swim. Once swim is done I'll just wear the Trisuit for the rest of the race.

It looks like it might be wet on Sunday but still quite warm so I'm currently not planning on wearing a cycling jersey.

The padding on the trisuit isn't as good as a proper pair of cycling shorts but for the 90km I think it will do.

Advertisement