Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Ironman 70.3 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

EDit wrote: »
    Neither had I...that explains why, after it was getting closer and closer, suddenly it wasn’t and then everyone just turned left and started swimming towards the second large red/orange buoy. I guess someone from the support staff indicated this (I couldn’t hear anything, but just followed the crowd :D)

I followed the yellow Buoy's as the MC advised & when I got to the 3rd, I couldn't understand why the Red one was so far to the right.
    I saw people skipping it & just turning left but I thought they were just cheating.
    Sorry, I didn't do it myself now as I ended up swimming 2300 meters & it took me 50 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

terrydel wrote: »
    The amount of discarded water bottles and gel wrappers left on the way down from kippure to around glencree was a bloody disgrace, I must have seen around 200 when I cycled up there yesterday. How about sticking them in your pocket and keeping the bottles on the bike?
    Never see this carry-on on any of the many sportives I do, must be a triathlon thing :rolleyes:
    Its a beautiful area so a bit of respect for it wouldn't kill anyone.

While I agree with your sentiment and agree that it was totally unnecessary to litter when the organizers went to every effort to provide rubbish areas* (I carried everything back with me, even my banana skins...which was lovely when I cleared out my nutrition bag this morning:pac:) I do laugh at this attitude that seems prevalent on boards whereby “triathlon cyclists” come a rung or so down the cycling hierarchy from “proper sportive cyclists”. Also, I have done a few sportives myself and, while I haven’t seen that many water bottles, I have seen quite a bit of gel wrapper littering, which is pretty poor considering cycling jerseys have at least 3 pockets.

*i actually got a bit miffed when on the run I saw a bloke ahead of me pick up a cup of water, drink it and then throw it on the floor right in front of one of those enormous black wheelie bins...seriously, you don’t have to be Michael Jordan to be able to throw a small paper cup into a hole the size of a single mattress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

EDit wrote: »
    I do laugh at this attitude that seems prevalent on boards whereby “triathlon cyclists” come a rung or so down the cycling hierarchy from “proper sportive cyclists”.
    Thats just the chip you have on your shoulder mate :D

Who mentioned 'proper sportive cyclists'? I made no assumption about triathlon cyclists, I dont care how good, bad or indifferent they are, I merely made a point (factual based on my own extensive experience) that I've never seen so many bottles discarded like that, thats why I asked is it a triathlon thing? I dont know as its the first one I've ever encountered It was obvious who'd done it given the event was on and 99% of the bottles where from an event sponsor. It isnt on at all, and saying so is not having a go at triathlete cyclists, or an elitist attitude from another type of cyclists, its just saying what needs to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭The Machine

terrydel wrote: »
    I've never seen so many bottles discarded like that, thats why I asked is it a triathlon thing?

At the three feeding stations I would have expected lots of bottles on the ground. But they should have been all picked up by the Ironman support team. Outside of these three areas, there's no excuse to be ditching bottles, gel wrappers etc.

In fairness to the organizers, they really drilled home the idea that "there should be no trace left behind" during their race briefings. Also that anyone seen littering would be automatically disqualified.

Won’t derail the thread by getting into a pointless spat about cycling politics...needless to say I agree that it was unnecessary. Trouble is (as someone else said) people are at it everywhere (just go to a beach after a sunny day and you’ll see the total disregard for our environment). I hope the Ironman lot will have scoured the route picking it all up afterwards, otherwise they might struggle putting on the event next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Nope not a triathlon thing, see the Rock and roll half marathon thread for more examples, it's just a person thing. It just happened that these people were doing a triathlon, same as not all cyclists break red lights, some do, some don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

How realistic is it that Ironman will have both Ironman 70.3 in Dun Laoghaire and Ironman Cork next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭The Machine

TriFirst wrote: »
    How realistic is it that Ironman will have both Ironman 70.3 in Dun Laoghaire and Ironman Cork next year?

If they keep roughly the sames date for the 70.3 in 2019, they would have a two month gap between the events. So logistically it seems possible to me.

I think the bigger question might be whether they will get the entry numbers to make two events in Ireland financially viable. A large number of the entrants will be from Ireland. I'd say quite a few of the Irish finishers yesterday might eye up Cork as their challenge for next summer and therefore might be less likely to go for a 70.3 afterwards.

I could be totally wrong but that is my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jnk883

If they keep roughly the sames date for the 70.3 in 2019, they would have a two month gap between the events. So logistically it seems possible to me.

I think the bigger question might be whether they will get the entry numbers to make two events in Ireland financially viable. A large number of the entrants will be from Ireland. I'd say quite a few of the Irish finishers yesterday might eye up Cork as their challenge for next summer and therefore might be less likely to go for a 70.3 afterwards.

I could be totally wrong but that is my guess.

Now if only they doubled up and did the 70.3 in Cork as well. haha The course would work for it. Ironman don't do that very often so wouldn't expect it to happen here. It would be the only way I'd get involved in Ironman race as travel expense is huge factor when wanting to target 70.3 Ironman branded race, so would be handy right outside my door. But I'll just have to stick to my non branded races :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

I don’t think the conditions on the bike were as bad as people have been making out. It wasn’t cold for a start.

I would say the descent into glencree from the sally gap was very dangerous due to wind. No Marshall there at all which was a bit of an oversight. Also a lot of competitors either took or missed the finishing shoot at the wrong time. Just needed a big sign at bottom of ramp up.

Overall the race was magic though. Drafting from what I could see was very minimal due to course. I wonder how many missed swim due to cut off? And how many dnfs in total.

Looking at the first red buoy at the swim start, it seem clear to me that the yellow bouys were much to far to the left to be using them as guide. I sighted just for the red bouy off the lighthouse behind. I was in the water early so wasn’t aware of the bouy drift some people have been talking about. Swam 2k according to my garmin.

Surely this race makes more sense financially for IM. It could turn into a real gem if promoted correctly. Due Laoghaire is a great venue in every respect. People’s Park was bliss afterward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Judging by their the page race is definitely on next year. Good to hear too as I hope to be fit enough for it to be my first 70.3

I’d agree with bopperr that this is probably a good finincial undertaking for ironman. I’d also imagine that there would be different target market between the full race in Cork and a half in Dun Laoghaire...let’s hope they see it that way

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    Judging by their the page race is definitely on next year. Good to hear too as I hope to be fit enough for it to be my first 70.3

Where are you seeing that? I can’t see anything on the IM site (although it doesn’t work very well on mobile devices)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

Race director comments on Twitter would make you think it’s on again next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

TriFirst wrote: »

Luckily there's a calendar full of quality half Iron man races in Ireland that you can choose from :p
    It's a pity that people couldn't see what we went through up there because it was like a different world.

Well done on your result yesterday. Not having a go but I think you are overestimating other people's interest in your hobby!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Diego Murphy

EC1000 wrote: »
    Luckily there's a calendar full of quality half Iron man races in Ireland that you can choose from :p

Well done on your result yesterday. Not having a go but I think you are overestimating other people's interest in your hobby!
    I wasn't saying anything in relation to people's interest in what we were doing. I was merely referring to the fact that the weather seemed perfect in dun Laoghaire, so spectators wouldn't have been aware of how bad the conditions were up the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I wasn't saying anything in relation to people's interest in what we were doing. I was merely referring to the fact that the weather seemed perfect in dun Laoghaire, so spectators wouldn't have been aware of how bad the conditions were up the mountains.

Or wouldn't care...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Well done to everyone who Completed the event! I was there to support Mrs Lapierre and it looked tough out there!

Well done again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Have to say that was the most enjoyable race I have ever done. Loved how challenging the bike was. My swim time was way way down on what I was realistically expecting. Still, happy with my finishing time and place. Finishing with triathlon so it was a sweet one to end on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Any % on the DNFs? Few people went by where we were spectating covered in blood and heard of a few more out after crashing.

Had considered doing this after dropping out of Sheephaven, figured the cost would be the same since I wouldn't have travel/accommodation costs for Dun L but still can't get my forearms onto my TT :pac:

• Advertisement

Any % on the DNFs? Few people went by where we were spectating covered in blood and heard of a few more out after crashing.

Had considered doing this after dropping out of Sheephaven, figured the cost would be the same since I wouldn't have travel/accommodation costs for Dun L but still can't get my forearms onto my TT :pac:

From what I can gather, about 170 out of the 1400 didn't finish. A lot of bad crashes and a friend of mine said that a lot of people got pulled out of the water during the swim. Others just ran out of time. Interestingly, 3 ppl were disqualified. I'd love to know what for.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Really enjoyable race as a first timer at 70.3, only getting back racing this year after 6 years off with ankle issues and surgeries I was delighted I finally accomplished my goal.

Swim - Swim started off terrible as was stung by jellyfish 300m in, I had been stung a few weeks before for the first time in a leinster sea swim race so knew it wasn't going to affect my race, 100 m or so later I barely missed one colliding with my head, thanks god didn't see anymore ha, was hoping for about 35/36 mins but finished in 43 and again clocked 2200 so cant complain too much.

Bike - having done the course 3 times I knew what to expect, my average time was slightly up hitting the sally gap and my nutrition worked well, wasn't great up there with weather but sure that's Ireland for you, was able to claw back a lot of time in last 27/28 km with an average time of 38km p/h so finished in 3.45 and my goal was 4 hours,

Run - With a new found buzz having done well on cycle for me I went out a bit too fast 4.50 km, boom 3 km in awful cramp, was able to get rid after about another k, run went down hill after this, stomach went to shreads on lap twp but cleared up lap 3 but the body went to dirt on lap 3, was run walking this, I know I hadn't done enough running because of being paranoid by ankle but had no trouble with it and think that's because of the run walking, Run took me 2.07 where was hoping for 1.50 ish.

Nearly had tears of joy crossing the line in 6.49 and goal was 7 hours so happy out.

The support all day was amazing, really helped mentally, first one as I said and organization was amazing, everything ran very smooth.

If the ankle keeps improving ill look at a full next year, well done to everyone that completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

From what I can gather, about 170 out of the 1400 didn't finish. A lot of bad crashes and a friend of mine said that a lot of people got pulled out of the water during the swim. Others just ran out of time. Interestingly, 3 ppl were disqualified. I'd love to know what for.

How did you see who was Dq'd?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I didn’t realise until reading this thread that the first buoy had moved looking back on the day half way out I was at the back of the pack I said to myself I’m making good time here. As soon as I said it the red buoy seemed to be getting further away, I now know why. Swam right beside a lions mane he was just floating there waiting. I had sub 40 in my head for the swim was gutted when I seen 48 on the clock. The cycle was fine seen some bad crashes just out of Enniskerry the weather on the gap was poor I found it cold up there. The descents were fast and dangerous I nearly had bad spill on one of the corners with a rogue crosswind gust. Run was very well supported I really enjoyed that final loop 6hr 9mins the finish . Second time at the 70.3 distance and again really enjoyed it was a super event. Roll on Cork 2019 I might even give DL another go if the wife allows it.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Why did the buoy move? Was it sea conditions or was it moved by race officials during the race?

what ive heard is the current was so strong the last buoy drifted, now ive no idea if that's what it was but that's what I heard.

Bear in mind that I was thrashing through the water at the time, but it appeared that the weather started taking the first large buoy out to sea (combination of current and wind, I would imagine). Then, I am pretty sure that, after telling everyone to turn left and swim towards the second large buoy, they started towing that first large buoy towards shore (it seemed that way as every time I breathed on the RHS I could see the first buoy sort of keeping pace with me, which initially made me think that I was not actually getting anywhere :pac:)

FYI, 2019 race is now up on IM site as TBD :D

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

Overall i thought i was a great day out and was very happy with most things. But i do feel sorry for the poorer swimmers at the back and how the moving buoy increased their swim time / swim length. Whilst the extra swim may be bad in itself for some people it had a bad knock on effect for those people as Ironman kept the same road cut off times.

So basically from what i read / heard the bike cut off was 5hr 45 mins after the first person entered the water not when a person entered the water and they pulled a lot of people off the road. At lot of those people giving out that they were told in briefing that if poor swimmer start at back and would make no difference / disadvantage. Would be very annoyed if i was one of those.

As people have said there was a few bad crashed. I was behind a group that crashed at the 90 degree right turn before Enniskerry. There was a good few warnings about the corner but basically bad cycling caused the crash. 1 fellow tried to get in front from back by going up inside and the person in front of group turned into him basically. The innocent fellow had a very bad impact so hope all okay there.

I know some people have said it was too dangerous but we all know what we signed up for especially in the rain. Got passed by a good few people bombing it downhill at speeds that i definitely would not feel comfortable at and cutting corners etc etc so i hope they glad of the 30s that they picked up!!! So not too sure whether you can say the route is dangerous or bad cyclists.

The DJ on the pier was a great idea, id say the pier run would have been a lot harder without him there.
    The only other bad thing is people throwing fecking rubbish everywhere. I saw one lad just throw his bike to side of road like he was in the Tour de France. Was very tempted to report him. There was plenty of official places to throw the bottels / gels etc so cant see. There is a post of ironman facebook from some local who said the route is destroyed in red Enverit bottles!!!! I thought for all that money we pay ironman that they would at least do some kind of rubbish collection and not just the designated areas.

• Advertisement

nok2008 wrote: »
    So basically from what i read / heard the bike cut off was 5hr 45 mins after the first person entered the water not when a person entered the water and they pulled a lot of people off the road. At lot of those people giving out that they were told in briefing that if poor swimmer start at back and would make no difference / disadvantage. Would be very annoyed if i was one of those.

This cant be true can it, I would assume some of the slower swimmers started off 25 mins after the first swimmers, so giving them 5.20 to complete swim and bike and T1??

Sure if they are slow swimmers they could be looking at over an hour with the longer course, even say 1.10 with swim and T1 leaving 4.10 for bike, that's very unfair.

I know some of my team mates were around the 4 hour mark on bike.

Advertisement