Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Ironman 70.3 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Diego Murphy

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/tipping-point-how-bored-do-you-have-to-be-to-think-ironman-is-a-good-idea-1.3608227#.W4OghVBE0sk.facebook

He must have been watching the ones who were pushing their bikes uphill :pac:

Bizarre article and really sums up the thoughts of the lazy amongst us who think that people who manage to find the time to train for things like this must have too much time on their hands rather than just the ability to pull themselves off the couch and away from the TV to do something more productive with their time.
    14 hours of training a week is two hours a day. Really not that hard to find 2 hours a day over 7 days, don't even need to do 2 hours on workdays to hit that with the extra time you've got on days off.

Yes it is a bizarre article. Especially when all we hear about in the media is ppl not being active. Some people think that 2 hours of training in the evening is in sane, yet they'd think nothing of watching 3 or 4 episodes of a box set..... At the end of the day, each to their own. Triathlons etc are a healthy pursuit and aren't doing any harm to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Yeah very strange article, taking a pop at people for exercising, mad.

Id say he was just completely pi55ed off that he couldn't drive out of his house.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

jester1980 wrote: »
    Yeah very strange article, taking a pop at people for exercising, mad.

Id say he was just completely pi55ed off that he couldn't drive out of his house.

And possibly wouldn't have anyway during that period, but the fact he couldn't at all was what bothered him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 1982

"This requires dedication of a sort most of us who fill our days with fripperies like scraping a living or raising families simply can’t fit in"

I liked this line the most.

As Arnold Schwarzenegger once said "just sleep faster".

5am starts mean your job and your family don't even have to know you're training. If you have time to binge watch boxsets, then you have time to train for a 70.3. IF that's your bag of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Can't quite figure out who he is trying to slag off - seems to switch between overweight MAMILs and FTP/Watt nerds....

Also, did he not see any of the '00s of females out there on the day?

#buzzkill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 1982

Izoard wrote: »

Also, did he not see any of the '00s of females out there on the day?

If he had said similar about women, he would have been sacked for misogyny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/tipping-point-how-bored-do-you-have-to-be-to-think-ironman-is-a-good-idea-1.3608227#.W4OghVBE0sk.facebook

He must have been watching the ones who were pushing their bikes uphill :pac:

Bizarre article and really sums up the thoughts of the lazy amongst us who think that people who manage to find the time to train for things like this must have too much time on their hands rather than just the ability to pull themselves off the couch and away from the TV to do something more productive with their time.
    14 hours of training a week is two hours a day. Really not that hard to find 2 hours a day over 7 days, don't even need to do 2 hours on workdays to hit that with the extra time you've got on days off.

How many of the participants trained 14 hours a week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I thought it was actually a well written article the only correction I would make is it's not just male egos out there. ;)

As for his facts regarding exercise they're a bit of a broad brush stroke but there's truth in his stress and fatigue comments. I know several long term triathletes and runners that are either considering or have had some form of joint surgery carried out on their bodies.

Most athletes that train properly for a race of any sort will admit there biggest concern is that niggling injury that they're trying to push through. The rest that train "properly" don't train nearly enough and make up the majority of entrants who are looking to tick a box and stroke an ego of sorts. Their biggest concern is the cut off times.

I'd take it for what it is a tongue and cheek article with some truths and a bit of jealousy.

A good chance he'll sign up next year I'd say. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

tunney wrote: »

Which would disprove him even more. If they are training less than that they have even less time to find from their busy schedules which obviously don't include working or raising children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,417 ✭✭✭Shedite27

tunney wrote: »

I barely did that for a full IM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

He has some decent point, for most it is a vanity race... the reason they race an "Ironman" and not some other unbranded race is probably to get the M Dot tattoo afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

mloc123 wrote: »
    He has some decent point, for most it is a vanity race... the reason they race an "Ironman" and not some other unbranded race is probably to get the M Dot tattoo afterwards.

Why does anyone aspire to challenge themselves be it by completing a masters, doing a cookery course, write a book or run a marathon, well its an attempt to feel more fulfilled and push their boundaries. The reason many choose to complete the Ironman is because it has the highest profile and is seen as the greatest challenge in triathlon and I see nothing wrong with luxuriating in the accomplishment of finishing an ironman by getting a tattoo if that appeals to you.

As for the article its typical of that particular journalist to criticise a sport from the sidelines. He's a professional troll who would rather attribute neuroses to triathletes than commend them that they might try to establish a goal and through hard work attain it. In short he's an idiot spouting bile.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

For me it was simply a nasty article from someone with a chip on his shoulder. I bet he's forever complaining about cyclists taking up "his" road and admonishing anyone doing marathon training for "ruining their knees". Clueless , lazy idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

This applies to pretty much any race of scale.

Back in the 80's the average finishing time for DCM was 3:15 or so, now the "box tickers" have pushed that to 4:45 - but why is this seen as a negative? It doesn't diminish the performance of the elites and people at the front end.

Fair play to anyone who gets up off their ar$e and gets around.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Words of an overweight and too fond of a jar hack if you ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

That's not the point he was making at all.

That's your own view and giving him far too much credit to be able to distinguish between tri race brands. He has no idea about triathlons beyond the one literally on his door step.

It's a column from a horse racing pundit designed to wind up a few people. Mildly amusing if a bit muddled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

am i the only one that admits that iam bored ,boring , and socially awkward ? ( i think having more than 500 posts on a forum is a giveaway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭mollser

Irish Times has simply gone to sh!t as a newspaper. It is a constant whingefest, can only find the negative in everything. In a time when obesity / lack of exercising etc are real issues, people finding the time to partake in triathlons etc should only be commended and applauded, not knocked. Some say its a funny article, I didn't find it very funny!

The only people the IT seem to applaud are layabout scroungers, unfortunately. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Djoucer wrote: »
    That's not the point he was making at all.

That's your own view and giving him far too much credit to be able to distinguish between tri race brands. He has no idea about triathlons beyond the one literally on his door step.

It's a column from a horse racing pundit designed to wind up a few people. Mildly amusing if a bit muddled.

Is he not saying that people are doing these races as some form of vanity? He compares it to having a nice house and car etc..?

The Ironman branded part is me following on from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Is he not saying that people are doing these races as some form of vanity? He compares it to having a nice house and car etc..?

The Ironman branded part is me following on from that.

mloc123 i think you are on cocaine to show off money in his mind .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

I highly doubt he has any knowledge of things like Hardman races or The lost sheep, so I suspect he is just slagging off the whole concept of triathlon rather than the supposed commerciality of the IM brand. As someone said, he’s probably just pissed that he couldn’t go out for a few hours last Sunday morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

I found the article just lazy populist tripe. I'm not a triathlete (but I took part in the relay 70.3), but I think you could fill a warehouse with what he doesn't understand about people's lives, circumstances, motivation and reasons for taking part in something like this. It is pure guaranteed Irish begrudgery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The third sentence of the article says it all really.

"Road closures meant effective house arrest for four hours"

Car dependent twit can't leave the house without the wheels. I presume he's not from Dublin or Dun Laoghaire and unused to walking/scooting/skating/running....

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Diego Murphy

I found the article just lazy populist tripe. I'm not a triathlete (but I took part in the relay 70.3), but I think you could fill a warehouse with what he doesn't understand about people's lives, circumstances, motivation and reasons for taking part in something like this. It is pure guaranteed Irish begrudgery.
    Not to mention that mental health is a very serious issue and sport in any form, be it endurance or five a side, is proven to help. Ppl have stressful lives and if doing a triathlon is an outlet, then there's nothing wrong with that. Whatever someone's reasons for partaking, it's not a bad thing.

Not to mention the positive effect on the economy. Youghal is getting the ironman next year and the town could really do with a boost and maybe this will be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

He does make some valid points about endurance racing and health it does take a massive toll on the body when racing with training and then the race.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

So does a week on the piss at Cheltenham

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

he probably spends 10 hours a week playing golf and getting smashed after it.
    the race is just one day, the goal you might say but its the months before of training and getting healthy ( physically and mentally ) that is the real benefit to anyone training.
    im not ashamed to say it that yes the ironman brand was a big draw to me and i will probably try a full ironman in the future, im covered in tattoos and want that fecking red m dot and if thats what it takes to get me out training in the depths of winter and 5 in the morning on weekends then it cant be a bad thing. i will be looking at other events next year though . middle distance probably so if anyone has any recommendations please fire them at me.
    rant over but the lazy git gut under my skin with his article

peter kern wrote: »
    am i the only one that admits that iam bored ,boring , and socially awkward ? ( i think having more than 500 posts on a forum is a giveaway)

You are not boring, I could not speak to the level of your boredom, however you are most certainly socially awkward :)

Marty Bird wrote: »
    He does make some valid points about endurance racing and health it does take a massive toll on the body when racing with training and then the race.

Really?

I used to train a race a bit (20-30 hours a week training)
    I don't train anymore that much.

N=1 - I was alot healthier in everyway then.

Also here is an article on why endurance sports are good for you.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Opinion/The_Risk_Of_Not_Being_a_Triathlete_6969.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Advertisement