Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Ironman 70.3 2018

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

GeraldineN wrote: »
    !! Any more words of support!! ??
    :ermm:

I’m not really one for sugarcoating. I did only get 2 hours sleep last night and fell while runningyesterdsy leaving my knees and hands in agony, so all that can’t have helped my interpretation of the route, I’m sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Not clear from your original post, but have you done any shorter triathlons? If not, I would suggest doing so before the half-iron. I am signed up for the half-iron and did my first Olympic triathlon last Sunday...I felt totally ready for the race but found it pretty challenging. To say I learned a lot from the experience is an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

It's grand, some people just don't like a bit of a challenge.
    There are a couple of tough climbs but sure you get to recover on the downhill bit. Try cycling the route or at least part of it a few times and see what you think after a few goes, it'll get easier.
    If you don't want to start with the full thing, you could maybe head direct to Enniskerry then cut across to Sally Gap, go right and back to Dublin via Hell-Fire.
    On the plus side, it's a very scenic route.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

It's grand, some people just don't like a bit of a challenge.

a little ironic given rq has a few full ironmen done.

it is better to know what it's like so you know going in fully prepared and don't get thrown by unexpected factors on race day. if you're any way worried, then my advice would be to make sure and cycle it yourself before the race so you know exactly what to expect

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

I'm just back from covering 80 k of the route. Its every bit as evil as one could imagine. I would defo recommend cycling it at least once or in stages. I had to stop a few times to check the map and stupidly followed a group of riders I presumed were doing the same as me. They weren't , but feel much more confident of getting the job done now.
    What time is the bike cut off ? ( maybe not that confident )

• Advertisement

dickidy wrote: »
    I'm just back from covering 80 k of the route. Its every bit as evil as one could imagine. I would defo recommend cycling it at least once or in stages. I had to stop a few times to check the map and stupidly followed a group of riders I presumed were doing the same as me. They weren't , but feel much more confident of getting the job done now.
    What time is the bike cut off ? ( maybe not that confident )

From the FAQ. That will give most people 4:30+ to do the bike.
    What are the cut off times?
    Swim: 1 hours 10 minutes + a further 10 minutes from the swim cut off to start the bike

Bike: 5 hours 30 minutes (after you cross the swim start timing mat) + a further 10 minutes from the bike cut off to start the run

Run: 8 hours 30 minutes (after you cross the swim start timing mat)

Originally from: http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman-70.3/dun-laoghaire/athletes/faqs.aspx#ixzz5HGqyyfhS

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

From the FAQ. That will give most people 4:30+ to do the bike.

So am I right in saying you basically need to be on the run by 5.30 yeah?

jester1980 wrote: »

Pretty much. My understanding is that, with the rolling swim start, your personal cut-off time will be dependent on when you cross the swim start mat, but if you aim to be on the run by 5hr 30mins from official race start, you would be safe

cool thanks, id obviously like to be on it a long time before then but good to know

You actually have 5:40. You need to be back in transition 5:30 after crossing the swim start mat then they give you 10 mins to transition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rxchxy

In the facebook live chat with the RD they said that they would allow an extra 10mins for the bike.... Does that give you 5:40 to be back in transition and then 5:50 to be out on the run?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Susieqw

I have been doing a good few hills in the Slieve Blooms in preparation Wolf Trap, Cut and Glendine, I haven't been down the course yet but am hearing about ramps on the Climb at Sally Gap being 12%, should I panic and is it 12% and for how long!! Could anyone confirm the cut of?

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭syntheticjunk

You can use mapmyride as they have option to see elevation with grades. Few sections on that course are 12%.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

Susieqw wrote: »
    I have been doing a good few hills in the Slieve Blooms in preparation Wolf Trap, Cut and Glendine, I haven't been down the course yet but am hearing about ramps on the Climb at Sally Gap being 12%, should I panic and is it 12% and for how long!! Could anyone confirm the cut of?

Thanks in advance

The real steep parts are no longer than 100metres. None of the climbs by themselves will cause anyone too much heartache. It’s the combination of them that might. That can be trained for though.

I went out on sat and did 65km of the course, from enniskerry all the way around and back to enniskerry, Maybe 3/4 parts of that 65 km where you can put the foot down.

The climbs where tough but we all knew it wasn't going to be easy being in Wicklow. Had never done any of them before, Sally Gap was tough but sharp climbs, I did find some descents very fast and could be dangerous on the day,

The hardest part for me was the hill before glencullen, I think strava clocked it at 8.5 km long, I wouldn't be the fastest cyclist but boy where my times down. For me personally if I could get anywhere near 24/25 km/h on the day id be delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Susieqw

I am hoping to do that route soon. I am very nervous of the descents too. What would you say is the total climbing for the 65km I have nightmares like 50km of climbing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Irish_Alan

What are peoples thoughts on what type of bike to use ?
    I don't know the area at all

Road bike or Tri bike ?

Compact gearing ?

Susieqw wrote: »
    I am hoping to do that route soon. I am very nervous of the descents too. What would you say is the total climbing for the 65km I have nightmares like 50km of climbing!

HI Susie, Strava calculated it as 1,228M

Only dangerous descents I felt where after doing sally gap you take a right and then nice road for a while and then you come down form there, very fast and some sharp turns.

Randomly bumped into someone doing the course too and he warned me just to take it easy first time

I hope to go up twice more and hopefully will have a proper bash at it next two times

Irish_Alan wrote: »

Road bike or Tri bike ?

Compact gearing ?

Ill be using my road bike, two people out on front of me with tri bikes and looked liked they struggled with climbs.

But me personally I find I handle my road bike better on climbs.

Road bike or Tri bike ?

Compact gearing ?

I've tried it on both a tri and road bike, preferred the road bike. Personally think it felt more comfortable handling on the descents

• Advertisement

Ill be using my road bike, two people out on front of me with tri bikes and looked liked they struggled with climbs.

But me personally I find I handle my road bike better on climbs.

Thanks for that,
    Looking at the elevation profile the TT bikes wont have much flat to claw back time lost on the hills

rxchxy wrote: »
    I've tried it on both a tri and road bike, preferred the road bike. Personally think it felt more comfortable handling on the descents

Did you notice any difference in time ?

Did you notice any difference in time ?

I was 10 minutes (i think) quicker on the tri bike but how much of that was down to the bike and how much of it was down to me on the day I'm not sure. I don't think there are many sections of the course where the tri bike really pays off tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

I'd go with road bike too tbh...along with whats been said i trust my road bike on descents FAR more than the tt

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

is there anywhere in ireland that sells enervit gels, cant find anyone on amazone that delivers to ireland.
    or am i just better off using something else

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Not familiar with those gels but just get them delivered by parcelmotel / addresspal

dickidy wrote: »
    is there anywhere in ireland that sells enervit gels, cant find anyone on amazone that delivers to ireland.
    or am i just better off using something else

At one point you could get them in some of the bigger Boots. Boots website says they're discontinued now but may still pick them up in the stores

If you contact Ironman or enervit they might send you some samples. Someone in pulse did that and they sent boxes full of them.

Has anyone been up on the bike course recently? I’ve heard quite a bit about gorse fires up near the gap and was wondering if anyone has any first-hand knowledge of whether it’s ridable at the moment? Was planning on heading over next week for a trial run

• Advertisement

OH WOW didn't realize this, was hoping to do the course tomorrow from start to finish, interested in feed back.

Advertisement