Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Ironman 70.3 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

dickidy wrote: »
    Heh all. So this question is about the swim. Have done the distance a few time and average around the 45 min mark, but one day I was obviously against the tide and didn't move for about 10 min. Is the race timed to go out with the tide. I got a bit nervous after that swim that if I'm against the tide coming in I'm screwed . First timer starting to panic

Tide will be on the way out on the day, high tide is at 6.23am, swim start is 8am. I've always found there's a few weird currents on that swim course whenever I've been doing it before raceday, but never notice it on the day. It might be something to do with tidal changes, but you'll be fine if you're doing the distance in 45 minutes, race day energy could well knock time off that. Best things would be to try and swim the course sometime 1.5 to 2 hours after high tide, that should in theory replicate the tidal/current conditions on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Yeager101

Anyone got the GPX of the bike course handy?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Apologies if this has been covered already but what's the situation regarding parking?
    Will it be possible to park close to race start on the morning? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

rxchxy wrote: »
    For anyone looking to do the route in full Ballybetagh road through to Killegar Lane is closed from 08.00 a.m. to 18.00 p.m. Monday to Friday from 16th July to 17th August 2018. This is the road from Johnnie Foxes down towards Kilternan. They're resurfacing it which is great because that whole section through Glencullen village is a bit of a nightmare with the potholes at the moment

FYI, they haven’t started this yet as I did the route today and no roadworks to be seen anywhere. As the original end date is 2 days before the event I hope this doesn’t screw up the bike route by being delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

folks is the swim start a rolling start or mass start, cant sea on the website but maybe looking in wrong place

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Yeager101 wrote: »
    Anyone got the GPX of the bike course handy?

I did the majority of it back in April if this is any use to you.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1555911596

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

http://m.eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman-70.3/dun-laoghaire/athletes/faqs.aspx#swim_facts

Rolling waves according to the FAQs page.

Edit, I meant to quote your post, not like it. I'll let you keep it, I am a benevolent God. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Great thanks, was right there on front of me and missed it.

I like the rolling starts so that's good

Apologies if this has been covered already but what's the situation regarding parking?
    Will it be possible to park close to race start on the morning? Thanks

There's a multi storey car park in the old Dun Laoghaire shopping centre on Marine Road, just a stone's throw from T1, another in the Bloomfield shopping centre further down George's street. There's plenty of on street parking around the area but between road closures and whatever way the pay and display parking will work on the day I'd say a carpark is the hassle free option.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭WattsUp

Just recovering from injury and thinking about signing up as should be okay by that race day. €320 + processing fee is pretty steep. Anyone know of promotion codes etc ? 
    Is this race likely to sell out? 
    Does anyone know the last date to enter assuming it does not fill ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

Is it true the bike course has changed?? Hearing LOTs of rumours it has! (The last major climb taken out of it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭syntheticjunk

Looking at the map now - looks like they removed it and added few extra miles in Glenageary.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Milk_Tray wrote: »
    Is it true the bike course has changed?? Hearing LOTs of rumours it has! (The last major climb taken out of it)

They've a new map on their website. That wasn't a major climb though :pac:
    It's also down as 87km now

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

They've a new map on their website. That wasn't a major climb though :pac:
    It's also down as 87km now

Well it was one of 3 'major' climbs on the day.. I for one am glad I dont have to do it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What climb is gone?

Looking at the map, we will still need to do part of the climb up to Glencullen, but only the last third/quarter vs the original route...better than the whole hill though 🙂

They’ve made a few changes to the routes in and out of DL as well, but doesn’t look like it will make a huge difference overall

Shedite27 wrote: »
    What climb is gone?

The final long, winding hill up to Glencullen. As has been said, this was not one of the “major” climbs, but was a bit of a ****ter so far into the cycle. Can’t say I am disappointed to not be doing that full climb tbh

Shedite27 wrote: »
    What climb is gone?

No longer goes down by hellfire and DSPCA and back up Cruagh. Now turns sharpish right at viewing point, down part of cruagh and then right up to Glencullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I cycled the old route with the climb up to Glencullen today.
    A very testing route.
    Running a half marathon after that will be a challenge for me anyway.

Will do the newer route on Friday and try to do it as a brick with a run afterwards.

28 days to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Disappointed they removed it but its down to road works not being completed seemingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Disappointed too, had psyched myself up for it after doing the route a couple of times. I'm sure I won't regret it on the run though...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reidman

You'll be fine on the swim, it's usually beautiful at sunrise with minimal or slight current. Use the lighthouse for sighting on the first leg and aim left on the way out, usually plenty of room tight to the buoys. As you swim down in line with the pier on second leg the white bath house was usually a decent line and from there you're on the home stretch. You'll swim better than you think, enjoy it, was always a great start to the event. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

miller82 wrote: »
    Disappointed they removed it but its down to road works not being completed seemingly.

That’s bull the road works are not on the course. It’s more an excuse than anything. The old route would take a right on Mount Venus road and the road works are left of it.

Makes a big change with a major decent taken out followed by a 100 degree right turn is more why they took it out I’d say. That was where I was going to go view it on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

It’s more an excuse than anything
    Makes a big change with a major decent taken out followed by a 100 degree right turn is more why they took it out I’d say.

Is that not a good thing for the participants (and the St John's Ambulance guys to save on plasters?)

That’s bull the road works are not on the course. It’s more an excuse than anything. The old route would take a right on Mount Venus road and the road works are left of it.

Makes a big change with a major decent taken out followed by a 100 degree right turn is more why they took it out I’d say. That was where I was going to go view it on the day.

Not sure if it was confirmed or not but I'd say residents in the area were pretty pissed at the concept of being blocked in for a day as they have limited ways out as it is because the 'roadworks' have had the road closed for months even though no actual work is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I live in the area myself and it’s part of my daily commute so I’m fairly familiar with it. I think that could have part to do with it but a straight answer as to the reason would be better I feel to people that I’ve been training on that particular section of the route for months already.

As above the local residents/emergency services having limited access in the event of extra road closures is probably the genuine reason. The residents have been (understandably) increasingly vocal about the 'roadworks' (or rather lack thereof), so I'd imagine the council/organisers have realised they're only stirring up a hornet's nest trying to close more roads around them.

Hope I'm not tempting fate but interestingly all the road closures for the race are still at the 'proposed' stage.
    http://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news-public-notices/ironman-703-proposed-road-closures-dlr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Statler wrote: »
    As above the local residents/emergency services having limited access in the event of extra road closures is probably the genuine reason. The residents have been (understandably) increasingly vocal about the 'roadworks' (or rather lack thereof), so I'd imagine the council/organisers have realised they're only stirring up a hornet's nest trying to close more roads around them.

Hope I'm not tempting fate but interestingly all the road closures for the race are still at the 'proposed' stage.
    http://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news-public-notices/ironman-703-proposed-road-closures-dlr

i would not spend too much energy on the precise course it will be roughly as outlined but changes can and will always happen. its not getting any easier planing a course (the opposite is true its getting harder and harder)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Diego Murphy

Statler wrote: »

I'm not from the area so the road names mean nothing to me. How close will ppl be able to get to the town for parking on the morning of the event? I'm not staying too far away but need to get the car in a bit closer. Any suggestions as to where to park?

• Advertisement

I'm not from the area so the road names mean nothing to me. How close will ppl be able to get to the town for parking on the morning of the event? I'm not staying too far away but need to get the car in a bit closer. Any suggestions as to where to park?

There's plenty of carparks in DL town centre, doubt any of the roads will be fully closed before the swim start so you should be fine.

Advertisement