Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Ironman 70.3 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'm not from the area so the road names mean nothing to me. How close will ppl be able to get to the town for parking on the morning of the event? I'm not staying too far away but need to get the car in a bit closer. Any suggestions as to where to park?
    This year is the first year of the run being in DL too so there might be more road closures than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rxchxy

I'm not from the area so the road names mean nothing to me. How close will ppl be able to get to the town for parking on the morning of the event? I'm not staying too far away but need to get the car in a bit closer. Any suggestions as to where to park?

The athlete guide says there will be parking on the day at the ferry terminal which is about a 5-10 minute walk from where transition will be

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Did the bike route this morning but there are road works in Glencullen so instead of going straight through and down to Kilternan, I went right, down Devil’s Elbow, into Enniskerry and left back to Kilternan which added on around 6km, 200m elevation and around 20 minutes.

Spin took me 4:25 but would have been 4:05 or so without the detour.

Second time doing th route and feeling more confident of making the cut off now.
    Was worried after an appallingly long spin on sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Did the bike route this morning but there are road works in Glencullen so instead of going straight through and down to Kilternan, I went right, down Devil’s Elbow, into Enniskerry and left back to Kilternan which added on around 6km, 200m elevation and around 20 minutes.

Second time doing th route and feeling more confident of making the cut off now.

Good work, I did the whole course yesterday myself, Felt very unmotivated yesterday but got it done in 4.01, so hopefully on the day can get down to 3.50

The legs wee defo feeling it in the end though, nice to be able to spin the legs out on the downhill though. Nice fast course form 65km to transition.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

You can get through the road works, slowly, they've left a small pathway open on one side, I asked the lad manning the barrier nicely if I could make it though, he waved me on and just said to stick right, even if they say no just tell them you're going to Johnny Fox's and off you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Statler wrote: »
    You can get through the road works, slowly, they've left a small pathway open on one side, I asked the lad manning the barrier nicely if I could make it rhough, he waved me on and just said to stick right, even if they say no just tell them you're going to Johnny Fox's and off you go.

Thanks for that.

Gonna do the route again on Wednesday all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Just reading the athletes guide and it has timings for bike racking on Saturday based on race number....should we have our race number by now? I don’t recall receiving mine.

Also, bike cut-off has been extended to 5:45 hours after swim start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

EDit wrote: »
    Just reading the athletes guide and it has timings for bike racking on Saturday based on race number....should we have our race number by now? I don’t recall receiving mine.

Also, bike cut-off has been extended to 5:45 hours after swim start

You should get them this week normally around 2 weeks from race start.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Diego Murphy

Marty Bird wrote: »
    You should get them this week normally around 2 weeks from race start.

I did Dublin last year and you only get your race number once you've registered. You might be allocated your number before then but the physical stickers etc that you need for transition are only allocated at registration. If you're registering on the Saturday, you can just walk straight out of the tent and rack your bike. The time slots for racking are more for ppl that are there in the days beforehand that can register early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I did Dublin last year and you only get your race number once you've registered. You might be allocated your number before then but the physical stickers etc that you need for transition are only allocated at registration. If you're registering on the Saturday, you can just walk straight out of the tent and rack your bike. The time slots for racking are more for ppl that are there in the days beforehand that can register early.

I done this race in 2016 and it was 2 weeks prior to the race that I received my bib number likewise with IM UK it was around 2 weeks from the race start.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Diego Murphy

Marty Bird wrote: »
    I done this race in 2016 and it was 2 weeks prior to the race that I received my bib number likewise with IM UK it was around 2 weeks from the race start.

Yes you'll get your race number but you won't physically receive anything in the post, so you'll need to have registered at the event before you can even think about racking your bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

It said in the race briefing you could buy tickets online for the ferry parking lot. Have they gone on sale yet or has anyone bought them

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭WattsUp

Road Bike with "clip-on bars" or  "TT Bike" ?
    I have done lost sheep a few times and TT bike is certainly best choice for me. Only the climbs+Healy descent are out of the aero positon.  The Adrigole-Glengariff and Tunnel-Kenmare sections have a big advantage with TT bike.
    Looks like Dun Laoghaire has far less kms suitable for TT.  Apart from Kilternan-Enniskerry most of the rest of course is climbing or descending steep+technical. Maybe some advantage too at the Sally Gap if into a headwind. 
    Thoughts ?? What are other planning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

20rothmans wrote: »
    Road Bike with "clip-on bars" or  "TT Bike" ?
    I have done lost sheep a few times and TT bike is certainly best choice for me. Only the climbs+Healy descent are out of the aero positon.  The Adrigole-Glengariff and Tunnel-Kenmare sections have a big advantage with TT bike.
    Looks like Dun Laoghaire has far less kms suitable for TT.  Apart from Kilternan-Enniskerry most of the rest of course is climbing or descending steep+technical. Maybe some advantage too at the Sally Gap if into a headwind. 
    Thoughts ?? What are other planning ?

Not sure how people plan on doing it on a TT bike. I've done it several times and road bike for me 100%. I've done parts of it on the TT bike and it makes no sense in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

dickidy wrote: »
    It said in the race briefing you could buy tickets online for the ferry parking lot. Have they gone on sale yet or has anyone bought them

If you go here http://m.eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman-70.3/dun-laoghaire/athletes/parking-and-shuttles.aspx there is a link to apparently buy tickets in advance. However, the link doesn’t work for me (on iPad). I’ll try it on a proper computer later, but it may be a case of just picking one up at registration on Friday or Saturday

Edit...doesn’t work on windows computer either

Edit #2...you can purchase the ticket via your Active account. Do a search for ‘ironman’ in Dublin and it gives you and option for parking passes. Then you just signup and pay like you would for an event.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sbefort

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KarleyFatz

Would anyone know of a bike shop in the south Dublin area that rents decent road or TT bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

KarleyFatz wrote: »
    Would anyone know of a bike shop in the south Dublin area that rents decent road or TT bikes?

Wheelworx.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Did 40M of the cycle route myself tonight... my main observation was that the road has been done with the dreaded "loose chipping" between Djouce and Ballinastoe Woods... Only a few Km but they may be back to do more in coming 2 weeks. Makes for a rough surface for cyclists and more chance of a puncture.

In general the road around whole route is good quality but plenty of good climbs.. and some tasty descents too..:p

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

So if this heat keeps up how hard will this race be on a scale of 1-10. Really tough bike and a run totally exposed to heat bouncing back up off ground. I hope IM have sponges a plenty like the races on the continent!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Nialler73

Hi, I live in Rathfarnham and thinking of bringing the kids up to watch a bit of the bike part up the hills. Any idea what time (roughly) the bikes will be coming through Tibradden?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Hi NIaller, I believe they will be coming from view point down Cruagh road to zipit and back up to Glencullen.

Hi NIaller, I believe they will be coming from view point down Cruagh road to zipit and back up to Glencullen.

Thanks
    I saw that on the route alright. I was just wondering roughly when. Kids don't like to hang around if there's nothing to see...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Sorry I misread your question. Probably about 2-2:30 hours after the start time not sure when the star time is.

Sorry I misread your question. Probably about 2-2:30 hours after the start time not sure when the star time is.

Cheers for that. Ill tip up and catch some of that..

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

There's an athlete tracker app for Android/Apple, 'Ironman Tracker', if you download it and follow one of the pro athletes you should get a fair idea what time they'll be up that way so you won't be hanging around long.

Statler wrote: »
    There's an athlete tracker app for Android/Apple, 'Ironman Tracker', if you download it and follow one of the pro athletes you should get a fair idea what time they'll be up that way so you won't be hanging around long.

Genius!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

Red flags up at Sandycove due to Lions mane being spotted! Lets hope they clear it soon!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reidman

Milk_Tray wrote: »
    Red flags up at Sandycove due to Lions mane being spotted! Lets hope they clear it soon!!!

Happens each year, focus on your race and what you control

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Lonelyswimmer

What's the start time for this race?

Advertisement