Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have letters go missing?

Options
  • 27-10-2017 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering if many people have letters go missing in the postal system?

I posted a business size envelope from inside Cavan Post Office to an address in Co. Carlow on 12th October.
    It never arrived.
    Now, foolishly I had inserted two 50 Euro notes into the letter, a deposit on a shotgun I am buying.
    The loss of the money is annoying enough, but now some light fingered employee within the An Post organisation knows that the addressee has that firearm at their address.

I have complained at the counter of the P.O. and filled and despatched the relevant complaint form.

Has anyone here ever got a reply or satisfaction from this process?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if many people have letters go missing in the postal system?

I posted a business size envelope from inside Cavan Post Office to an address in Co. Carlow on 12th October.
    It never arrived.
    Now, foolishly I had inserted two 50 Euro notes into the letter, a deposit on a shotgun I am buying.
    The loss of the money is annoying enough, but now some light fingered employee within the An Post organisation knows that the addressee has that firearm at their address.

I have complained at the counter of the P.O. and filled and despatched the relevant complaint form.

Has anyone here ever got a reply or satisfaction from this process?

How do you know it wasn't delivered?

Maybe it was delivered and the recipient lied?

They still have a gun and E100.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

Y_S!

I apologize, I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

F1ngers wrote: »
    How do you know it wasn't delivered?

Maybe it was delivered and the recipient lied?

They still have a gun and E100.

I know the chap and am 100% confident that it was not delivered.

It was only the deposit, balance would not be paid untill licence was approved by the Gardai. This can take between 3 weeks and 5 months, so it's not a normal donedeal type transaction, there are very very few scams you can operate within such a small community.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Well I got an acknowledgement of my complaint, and a follow up letter to say that no trace of the letter or it's contents can be found .
    A paragraph or two about the size of the organization, how many millions pieces of post daily, etc, etc, plus a warning about sending cash in the post.

However, I have been told by someone who had a similar problem that An Post have scanner type machines in all main Post Offices for security purposes.
    However, as well as showing up wires etc. in letter bombs (their intended purpose) they also apparently show up the metallic security strips in cash.
    So an employee who is less than honest can easily see which letters contain cash....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

Original proof of no claims bonus, sent to new insurers, went missing on me a couple of years ago. Pain in the butt to get replacements. An Post took the line that they didn't lose it they were no help at all.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Had a small package go missing recently. The contents were worth less than a tenner and of absolutely no use to 99% of people so am fairly confident it wasn't stolen.

I raised it with An Post, they could find no trace of it but they sent me on some stamps as a gesture of goodwill which I thought was fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Stuff sent to me goes missing all the time or is damaged when it arrives. I hate An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Original proof of no claims bonus, sent to new insurers, went missing on me a couple of years ago. Pain in the butt to get replacements. An Post took the line that they didn't lose it they were no help at all.

I haven't been sent an "original" NCB in years. PDF that's infinitely reprintable. May have been a change in response to problems like this of course

I can't think of the last item that I didn't receive that was domestic; ditto for sending. Have had a small few parcels not received over the years but all were international so could have never reached Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Never have I sent an item that failed to arrived. The only items to go missing coming to me were a couple of books, over a number of years, being sent from the UK.

I send and receive all sorts of post on a daily basis and find An Post excellent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement