Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting to rigid

Options
  • 27-10-2017 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi all,

I’m looking for some advice on where to buy a set of rigid forks for a hybrid. I’m converting it from a suspension fork. I’m just finding it difficult to source the fork that i need.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Has the bike disc brakes?
    Whats the diameter of the steerer tube?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Has the bike disc brakes?
    Whats the diameter of the steerer tube?

Hi,

Yes, it has disc brakes. The steerer tube is 1.1/8”
    It’s also a 700c wheel. I’ll have to measure the axle to crown length tomorrow.

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one issue might be it spoiling the geometry, i guess - a pair of rigid forks would probably drop the front of the bike a couple of inches?

Would something like this suit?
    I have one on my "going to the shop bike". Still going strong after about 7 years.
    Number two son has one on a fairly light 29 inch commuter bike, has had no problems.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/MOSSO-FK-M5-MTB-fork-29-Post-Mount-Disc-AL-7005-Black-Blue/142467280426?hash=item212bb62e2a:g:a6AAAOSwnDxUiVb6

There are loads of sellers on EBay. This was the cheapest, I could find.
    One seller offers a headset with the forks for about 15 yo-yos extra.

one issue might be it spoiling the geometry, i guess - a pair of rigid forks would probably drop the front of the bike a couple of inches?

Just seeing this post now.
    No, the forks are the same length as the suspension forks, that they replaced.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. A little embarrassing that I didn’t even consider looking on eBay!

The one in the link says in the description that it’s for a 26” wheel, though it could be a typo?
    But yes, that’s exactly the type of thing I’d be looking for.

Thanks again for the help!

The description says 26", 27.5" and 29"
    I'm almost 100% sure, that it will fit a 29" hybrid.

It says that the distance between axle and crown is 44.5cms.
    Measure that distance on your bike. You'll know then whether or not it'll fit.
    I've just checked mine. It would take a 29" wheel without a problem.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    It says that the distance between axle and crown is 44.5cms.
    Measure that distance on your bike. You'll know then whether or not it'll fit.

Thanks again for the help. I’ll post back tomorrow if it’s the correct size or not.

Advertisement