Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

heaters

• 27-10-2017 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi all.
    how you's doing...

Any of you got or used/use the Dimplex Q-Rad.? on any size.

this link is to the unit im talking about.
    https://www.dimplex.co.uk/q-rad

Is it any good?
    is it a storeage heater or a any time any day or night heater.

can you say good & bad points on what you think of the unit/s.

thanks all.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

giesha wrote: »
    can you say good & bad points on what you think of the unit/s..

Good Points

1) Each heater is a stand alone unit. So the failure of one heater will not impact on the other heaters.

2) They are cheaper to install than a proper central heating system with a boiler.

Bad Points

1) Heating a home electrically is by far the most expensive way to heat it.

2) Very poor control with storage heaters. Frequently people find that they are providing too much heat or too little. Supposedly this newer generation of heaters provides better control but the reality is that the properties that make these units good at storing heat (large time constant) make them difficult to control.

3) The heat from these units is a dry heat, so not as pleasant.

The general idea is that the storage heaters heat up at night using cheaper rate electricity and release the heat during the day when it is required. Unfortunately this generally results in homes being too hot at night (when the units are heating up) and cold during the day. Even at the lower night rates these units cost more than gas. Simply put, 1kW of heat from a storage heater will cost more than 1 kW of heat from a gas central heating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭giesha

hi 2011..
    thanks for your reply mate.

so these heaters are storeage heaters.?
    & not the normal any time switch on convector heaters.?

thanks for your time,

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

giesha wrote: »
    so these heaters are storeage heaters.?
    My mistake, they are not storage heaters. I mixed these up with another new type of storage heater, apologies.

So revised answer, better control than storage heaters but even more pricey to run.

hi ya 2011..

how you doing.
    ye mate no prob's..no apologies nesasery. thanks for the info.

we have a 2.5kw dimplex convertor, its a great unit, it as a full & half setting with a temp' control knob for even a bit more control. & a timer (only 24hr).
    the unit is a nice few yrs old, it does its job quite good, im 99% happy with it, but these new units would they be better on fuel (electric) ...like the old petrol cars are fairly gas guzzlers & the new 1's today are abit leaner... or would these units not stand up to there old good name.

thanks...

Theoretically the new units will provide better control and some cost savings as a result of this. However these savings (if there are any) are unlikely to cover the cost of the new heaters. Remember if the new heaters use less electricity this is only because they are providing less heat, they will not provide "cheaper heat".

It is best to avoid electric heaters due to their high running costs, however people don't always have that option.

• Advertisement

hi ya mate.. thanks for you reply & info. il keep this in mind / ears & eyes open.
    thanks 2011...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭andreoilin

We have storage heating in our house and I turned it on for the first time the other day and the smell was horrendous. Any idea what's causing this/what I can do about it?

hi andreoilin, how you doing..

couple weeks ago i took our convector heater off the wall & opened it up, there was about 6 little screws on it which took off the back panel & the amount of dust inside, dont forget its a few yrs old, but this was the 1st time ive ever took the back off it.
    i vac'ed it & cleaned it all out. dont make any difference to its work better or not, but there's no smell when 1st put on this yr.
    perhaps this could be what needs for you.? i dont no... but if you do please make sure its safe to do.
    thanks...

andreoilin wrote: »
    We have storage heating in our house and I turned it on for the first time the other day and the smell was horrendous. Any idea what's causing this/what I can do about it?

This is normal for the first couple of times that you use storage heaters. Don't worry this problem generally resolves itself quite quickly.

Advertisement