Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon cam and key

Options
  • 27-10-2017 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone see the new system from amazon. Pairing up a cam with a smart lock. The plan is to allow delivery drivers to get access to leave parcels in your house. Sounds good in theory

The camera is an internal, another subscription service God I hate subs.

What use is a cloud based camera if you it only stores 24 hours and doesn’t allow downloads.

If you go away for a weekend and the house is broken in. The footage is gone and if it’s there you can’t even download load it.

As for a smart lock I think it’s good been waiting for a good one

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

This was discussed on another thread. I think the Amazon key idea is great and could work well. Solves a major issue of getting deliveries while you are at work.

The Amazon cameras don't need a subscription, you get 24 hours of recording on 3 cameras for free. That is pretty good.

In my experience 24 hours is plenty. I've a logictech circle camera that gives you the same. You have to remember that these cameras immediately send you a notification when they detect motion, so you should be aware of a burglar almost immediately and you can then download the footage (obviously after calling the Gardai). You shouldn't need to wait 7 days to discover you have been burgled. So you really don't need 7 days IME.

Where you might need 7 days or 30 days is where you have a campers in a shop, keeping an eye on the till, etc. Where you might have to review the footage later. Or maybe you want to check which housemate stole the milk from the fridge! But in a normal domestic setting I don't think it is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is 24 hour enough especially if you can’t download?

If I’m away for a weekend house is broken into on the Friday by the time I’m home on Sunday the footage is gone.

I believe it’s 24 hour continuous as oppose to snippets

If in away i may often have my phone off

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

For me 24 hours is plenty, as I never have my phone off *

It however sounds like it might not be for you. So you'll just have to get a subscription if you want more time.

In fairness I think for 99% of people they almost never have their phone away from them for more then a hour or two. So you are an extreme outlier IMO

Ideally with these cameras, the most value is getting the notification of the burglary as it happens and being able to confirm it isn't a false alarm and calling the Gardai straight away so they get caught in the act. Maybe also talking to the thief over the cameras mic to try and scare them away " hey mate I can see you and have called the Guards!"

There really isn't much value in coming home a week later and finding your home burgled. If you check your camera then, all you are likely to see is that the burglar had his face covered anyway as they commonly do these days.

As an aside I think it is a bit much to expect more then 24 hours of recording for free. 7 or 30 days of full HD footage from multiple cameras would eat up insane amounts of storage space and bandwidth. You really couldn't expect that for free, if you need that, you are realistically going to have to pay for it. I think 24 hours free is perfectly fine for most people.

BTW I believe you can download the videos during the 24 hour period. It would be easy to record them either way.

* As I wrote that I realised I go multiday hiking about once a year in places like Norway and end up with zero coverage. Though in that case my other half would have the app and notifications on her phone and if needed I could also give my extended family temporary access to the app and notifications so that they could keep an eye on the place while we were away.

That is better idea IMO then trying to rely on the video showing you anything after you come back.

I believe you can download the videos during the 24 hour period. It would be easy to record them either w

Amazon don’t allow downloading from their free service.

I believe you can download the videos during the 24 hour period. It would be easy to record them either w

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »

I just double checked and you are right! I'm surprised by that. My Logitech Curcle camera allows you to download clips for 24hours for free.

Having said that, it wouldn't be hard to record the video if needed (worst case scenario just use another phone to record it as you play it back).

Also maybe you could contact Amazon in an actual burglary and ask them to keep the video or only subscribe then when you actually need it.

Though again in my head, I don't think the actual video will help much anyway. It is more of a case of confirming the burglary is happening and acting on it as it is active.

Advertisement