Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any bricks and motor shop selling 2GB DDR3 SODIMMs?

Options
  • 27-10-2017 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭

Hi there...

I'm tidying up an old notebook for a friend, it's a Samsung NC110. It's got 1GB in it, I opened it up and it's a 1GB 1Rx8 PC3-10600S-09-10-ZZZ DDR3.

I know the notebook can only go up to 2GB max, and I thought bumping the RAM up to 2GB would help with performance a little for not a lot of money. I've found get the RAM online for around €20 or so, but I was wondering if anyone knows somewhere I could walk in and buy it, ideally in Kildare/Dublin? Would just like to get it tomorrow rather than buy it online and wait for it to be delivered in the middle of next week.

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

jasonb wrote: »
    Hi there...

I'm tidying up an old notebook for a friend, it's a Samsung NC110. It's got 1GB in it, I opened it up and it's a 1GB 1Rx8 PC3-10600S-09-10-ZZZ DDR3.

I know the notebook can only go up to 2GB max, and I thought bumping the RAM up to 2GB would help with performance a little for not a lot of money. I've found get the RAM online for around €20 or so, but I was wondering if anyone knows somewhere I could walk in and buy it, ideally in Kildare/Dublin? Would just like to get it tomorrow rather than buy it online and wait for it to be delivered in the middle of next week.

Thanks...
    €4 in CEX. In stock in a good few places.

https://ie.m.webuy.com/product-detail/computing/ddr3---laptop-204-pin/2-gb-pc10600-ddr3-1333mhz-204-pin-memory/smem2qaa#.WfOoP6nTXqA

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

7 years old, dual core Atom N550, 1gig of ram, Windows 7 Starter and cheap when it was released. I'd say ram is the least of your worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭jasonb

Ah yeah, it’s old alright, but a few euro on some Ram won’t hurt.

Never thought of CEX, thanks! A quick look shows that my local one in Newbridge has a 2GB PC12800 DDR3 for €4. It’s slightly faster RAM compared to the PC10600, but I believe it should work, though it might underclock it a little. Sure for €4 it’s worth a punt, and if it doesn’t work I can drive in to Dublin for the PC10600 one.

Thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

As you say it can't hurt for a few euro and may help with web browsing if you're using a few tabs but overall the CPU is just so ancient and slow I think it's generally just time for a new machine.

I get what you’re saying, to be fair it’s only going to be used for some browsing and iTunes, so it’ll do the job...

• Advertisement

Got the 2GB Ram today. It worked a treat, I can even seen a bit of an improvement in performance, and all for €4. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of CEX...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

that's funny my boss was asking about ram for his NC110 and I also directed him to CEX

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Its a good bet for things like that - which they could have lots, and demand (in general) has completely dried up - so they drop the price to try and shift it.

Yep, I know it's old RAM, and second hand too, but for €4 you can't go wrong really!

Advertisement