Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone been to the Mach Loop in Wales?

Options
  • 27-10-2017 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭

Its an area in North Wales, not too far from Holyhead where the RAF and fighter jets from other airforces train their pilots. It has stunning scenery and fast planes flying low throughout the valleys, seems like a plane spotters wet dream :D:

Has anyone here been over to see it? If so can you give any tips on times of the year that they are most likely to be out flying? Im thinking of heading over on the ferry for a few days and would love to see the fighter pilots out training.

I could easily watch this stuff all day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got the ****e scared out of me driving down a valley once when three of the bastards came up the opposite direction.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

You know they're low when you're on top of a hill, and end up looking down at them! Even more so when the noise maker is the original real noise maker, AKA Avro Vulcan. A long time ago now, I was on top of the Blackdown Hills, near Wellington in Somerset, flying a model glider, and this massive noise got closer and closer, and there in the valley below me at a little bit above treetop height, not too much, as they were about to go over the top of the ridge, a very hard to see Vulcan was howling its way along the valley floor. They were rare, a lot more common in those days were Hunters from Chivenor, and Phantoms from Yeovilton, and on the right day, the Phantoms were well able to rattle anything that was too close to them.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭stopthepanic

This looks like a useful site: https://machloop.co.uk

Just my opinion but I would say spring or summer would be the best time, for obvious reasons.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

L1011 wrote: »
    Got the ****e scared out of me driving down a valley once when three of the bastards came up the opposite direction.

What a wonderful event!

Advertisement