Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5000 Euro electricity bill

Options
  • 27-10-2017 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all, looking for some help as I'm desperate. I have paid all of my electricity bills, but never able to get a reading as the meter is in the house above me that my landlord doesn't Alli me access to. I have been paying estimated bills therefore, and didn't realise it would be this big an issue as I'm from another country and this is not how we do things. I had told my landlord there needed to be a meter reading done and he always said he'd sort it out and never did. He is quite negligent, but I always overlooked things is all windows being painted shut, the power cutting all the time and being unable to fix it as the unit is upstairs in the house we have no access to, dodgy plugs etc, and I always overlooked these things as the place is quite cheap(not the case now as I now have a 5000 bill). Just wondering what to do?

Bill details:
    Correction of previous reading 02/04/2014 - 04/07/2017 : 3941.50 euros
    Current reading: 36031 c
    Previous reading: 35608 e
    Unit usage: 423
    Unit price: 0.1513

Then charges for this period adds up to over 4800 euros.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

How long have you been getting estimated bills? How long were you there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

mary17xx wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for some help as I'm desperate. I have paid all of my electricity bills, but never able to get a reading as the meter is in the house above me that my landlord doesn't Alli me access to. I have been paying estimated bills therefore, and didn't realise it would be this big an issue as I'm from another country and this is not how we do things. I had told my landlord there needed to be a meter reading done and he always said he'd sort it out and never did. He is quite negligent, but I always overlooked things is all windows being painted shut, the power cutting all the time and being unable to fix it as the unit is upstairs in the house we have no access to, dodgy plugs etc, and I always overlooked these things as the place is quite cheap(not the case now as I now have a 5000 bill). Just wondering what to do?

Move House. Tell your landlord it’s his problem as he made no option to rectify the problem despite being asked numerous times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

How long are you there ?
    Is a €5000 bill even possible based on your usage?

Sounds to me like you're paying a lot more than just your electricity bill, particularly if you have absolutely no idea where the circuits are going and have no access to the meter.

That's €416 per month if it were 12 months and whatever else you were paying for the estimated bills too.

Is the bill in your name?

I would actually blame ESB Networks for this too. The supply should never have been connected if there was no access to the meter and the fuse board. It's being caused by very poor regulation and no inspection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Find out if there were ever any actual readings for your bill, either immediately before you moved in or since you moved in.
    If not, the usage may relate to a previous tenant.
    Otherwise, you are responsible for your own bill. Perhaps electric heaters caused the high use. whether you're from another country or not doesn't come in to it- you'd be the very one crying discrimination if the landlord refused you based on your nationality.
    Side note but i know a landlord whose asian tenants received a gas bill of over eur1000 after leaving the central heating on 24/7. Apoarently in malaysia it's normal to wear shorts and flipflops around the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

flaneur wrote: »
    How long are you there ?
    Is a €5000 bill even possible based on your usage?

Sounds to me like you're paying a lot more than just your electricity bill, particularly if you have absolutely no idea where the circuits are going and have no access to the meter.

That's €416 per month and whatever else you were paying for the estimated bills too.

Is the bill in your name?

I would actually blame ESB Networks for this too. The supply should never have been connected if there was no access to the meter and the fuse board.

How did you work that out? Op didn't say how long they were there?

• Advertisement

@Tenigate That is a totally unhelpful and frankly xenophobic reply!

The OP is being presented with a ludicrous situation in Ireland where they are being expected to pay an electricity bill without any access to the meter and without any access to even their own fuse board by the sounds of it.

They're saying that they're new to the country because they have no idea whether this is the norm or not in Ireland. Clearly it is not the norm and the setup is totally substandard, but it does not mean that they cannot express the fact that they're surprised by it / confused by it because they're from another country.

Maybe they didn't realise that such an unregulated rental market was even possible in the EU in 2017?

How did you work that out? Op didn't say how long they were there?

How did I work what out?
    I asked a question.

From what the OP has said they have neither access to the circuit board or the meter, which means they have no idea what they're paying for.
    It's a completely ridiculous situation and probably not remotely complaint with the wiring regulations either as the fuse board MUST be accessible for safety reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

How did I work what out?
    I asked a question.

You said it was €416 a month?

You said it was €416 a month?

If it was a 12 month period, which I did omit but corrected in an edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Tenigate wrote: »
    Find out if there were ever any actual readings for your bill, either immediately before you moved in or since you moved in.
    If not, the usage may relate to a previous tenant.
    Otherwise, you are responsible for your own bill. Perhaps electric heaters caused the high use. whether you're from another country or not doesn't come in to it- you'd be the very one crying discrimination if the landlord refused you based on your nationality.
    Side note but i know a landlord whose asian tenants received a gas bill of over eur1000 after leaving the central heating on 24/7. Apoarently in malaysia it's normal to wear shorts and flipflops around the house.

Why should she be immediately responsible for a bill she can't verify? Maybe her meter is being tapped. It's not unknown.
    The mention of nationality was obviously to explain lack of familiarity with local procedures. So less of the knee-jerk mention of discrimination please.

• Advertisement

OP:

1. Are you a tenant or a licensee? i.e. do you have the tenancy agreement in writing and in your own name?
    Lack of access to the meter and fuse board should be discussed with the RTB https://www.rtb.ie/
    For safety reasons, you need access to the circuit board and the landlord needs to rectify this ASAP. It's not an acceptable situation.

If you are a licensee i.e. just renting a room in a house and have no formal rental agreement, then you've very few rights outside of normal contract law.

2. Is the bill in your name or is it coming from the landlord to you ?

3. If the bill *is* actually owed, you should explain the situation to the power company - i.e. that you have no physical access to the meter and have made every effort to establish correct readings. They will probably allow you to do some kind of payment plan to pay it off over time, unless they're completely unreasonable.

4. If they do behave unreasonably, make a formal complaint to the CER (Commission for Regulation of Utilities) https://www.cru.ie/home/complaint-form/

I would suggest that you stop your direct debit too to avoid your bank account being cleared. Contact your bank about this.

For future reference:

NEVER, EVER move into a house in Ireland without physically inspecting all of the meters and taking readings (and I would usually take a photograph too).

I would absolutely never accept a landlord's or previous resident's word that this has been done.

You should have at the very least any readings for electricity and gas. Water's less relevant as the fee is capped anyway.

The normal process is:

1) Take reading.
    2) Select an energy supplier and give them these readings and the date they were taken.
    3) Anything from that point is your responsibility and not the previous resident.
    4) When you move out, take a final reading and submit that to the gas/electric company.

If you don't do that there's all sorts of potential chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I have been paying estimated bills...

the unit is upstairs in the house we have no access to,

How much were these estimated bills.

Does someone live in the upstairs place.

Also, if you suspect that you're paying for someone else's power, you should contact ESB Networks https://www.esb.ie/contact

From a mobile call 021 238 6555 (the 1850 number will cost a lot more)

This is the company that is responsible for the wires and the metering and supply to your home. They are separate from your energy supplier who actually sells you electricity.

They should be able to advise you on how to get verification that the meter is only connected to your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mary17xx

How long have you been getting estimated bills? How long were you there?

I added bill details, thanks

How much were these estimated bills.

Does someone live in the upstairs place.

I added more details of the bill, can supply more if needed. No one lives upstairs the landlord does leave a light on constantly (for "security") but can't see that making a huge difference?

Move House. Tell your landlord it’s his problem as he made no option to rectify the problem despite being asked numerous times.

I'd love to but the bill is still in my name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

I added bill details, thanks

423 units
    That's €63.45.. plus vat and standing charges.. even with the correction you claim appears on the bill it still doesn't add up to the amount you specified. Your maths are wrong.
    It's clearly not just an adjustment relating to estimate v actual.
    You're going to have to call the company for clarification. Cancel your DD in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

423 units
    That's €63.45.. plus vat and standing charges. How exactly are you coming up with the ridiculous amount?

She’s showing what they are showing. The ESB bills are a mess, a joke, when you move from estimated to actual. They are not showing in that bill the previous estimated reading - the one that was in the last bill, but their best guess at what they now think her reading would have been last month.

We would need to see the old bill.

Op the numbers still don’t add up. Do you have another reading - nighttime maybe?

OP:

1. Are you a tenant or a licensee? i.e. do you have the tenancy agreement in writing and in your own name?
    Lack of access to the meter and fuse board should be discussed with the RTB https://www.rtb.ie/
    For safety reasons, you need access to the circuit board and the landlord needs to rectify this ASAP. It's not an acceptable situation.

If you are a licensee i.e. just renting a room in a house and have no formal rental agreement, then you've very few rights outside of normal contract law.

2. Is the bill in your name or is it coming from the landlord to you ?

3. If the bill *is* actually owed, you should explain the situation to the power company - i.e. that you have no physical access to the meter and have made every effort to establish correct readings. They will probably allow you to do some kind of payment plan to pay it off over time, unless they're completely unreasonable.

4. If they do behave unreasonably, make a formal complaint to the CER (Commission for Regulation of Utilities) https://www.cru.ie/home/complaint-form/

I would suggest that you stop your direct debit too to avoid your bank account being cleared. Contact your bank about this.

For future reference:

NEVER, EVER move into a house in Ireland without physically inspecting all of the meters and taking readings (and I would usually take a photograph too).

I would absolutely never accept a landlord's or previous resident's word that this has been done.

You should have at the very least any readings for electricity and gas. Water's less relevant as the fee is capped anyway.

The normal process is:

1) Take reading.
    2) Select an energy supplier and give them these readings and the date they were taken.
    3) Anything from that point is your responsibility and not the previous resident.
    4) When you move out, take a final reading and submit that to the gas/electric company.

If you don't do that there's all sorts of potential chaos.

Thank you, and yes I do have a tenancy agreement.

• Advertisement

423 units
    That's €63.45.. plus vat and standing charges.. even with the correction you claim appears on the bill it still doesn't add up to the amount you specified. Your maths are wrong.
    It's clearly not just an adjustment relating to estimate v actual.
    You're going to have to call the company for clarification. Cancel your DD in the meantime.
    They just said over 3900 brought forward from the new reading.

They just said over 3900 brought forward from the new reading.

They are estimating 800 on top of that but that’s not explained by the unit reading.

She’s showing what they are showing. The ESB bills are a mess, a joke, when you move from estimated to actual. They are not showing in that bill the previous estimated reading - the one that was in the last bill, but their best guess at what they now think her reading would have been last month.

We would need to see the old bill.

Op the numbers still don’t add up. Do you have another reading - nighttime maybe?

I don't have another reading unfortunately. My previous bills are all just showing around 100 euros though. I'll attach screen shots of the bill charges.

I don't have another reading unfortunately. My previous bills are all just showing around 100 euros though. I'll attach screen shots of the bill charges.

That’s insane.

Thank you, and yes I do have a tenancy agreement.

If you’ve a tenancy ageeement you need to be talking to the landlord about why the circuit board and meter are inaccessible.

If they’re unwilling to rectify that, you’ll need to get the RTB to help. It’s a breech of Irish wiring regulations for a start and probably of the minimum specifications for rental units.

For safety reasons (being able to isolate the whole supply or a circuit) you need access.

Op. It’s claiming you read the meter. Obviously you couldn’t. Weirder and weirder.

It sounds like the landlord spoted a meter reader card and submitted a reading. Those would be from ESB Networks, not the energy supply companies.

There would have been a card with the MPRN on it. All they’d have to do is ring or text a number with the current reading.

Could you verify that the address on your bill is the exact address for your home and not the landlord’s address or another property?

Like if you’re 1A Homeville and the landlord is 1 Homeville, you’ve a bit of an issue.

This sounds like some kind of conversion to apartments or something?

In my view this is partially the ESB’s fault. They should not allow a meter to go physically unread for that length of time. If they can’t get access they should be ringing people and knocking on doors.

One or two missed readings is one thing, but years is incredibly sloppy and will inevitably cause issues like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It says it's a customer reading. Have you been able to verify it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Guys I run a farm with a milking machine,auto scrapers,compressors and all sorts going aswell as what’s in my home and I’d be hard set to run up that kind of a bill
    It’s clearly,undoubtedly an error

Advertisement