Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Cards in Pubs

• 28-10-2017 12:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭

Have to say that people using a credit card in pubs for one drink is driving me insane. I seem to be waiting forever to get & pay for my round because the people around me are using cards to buy one drink.
    Does anyone else have this problem?

I remember Smyths used to have an ATM.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

We are becoming a cashless society

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If this slows things down its the pubs fault for not setting up a decent EPOS, not the customers for using the method they use for everything else in their lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭James McNulty

ED E wrote: »
    If this slows things down its the pubs fault for not setting up a decent EPOS, not the customers for using the method they use for everything else in their lives.

Bit difficult to do when you have 4 girls in front of you each paying for their drinks separately by card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Do they not have Contactless payment ?

stuff less than €30 is what it's for

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/bank/current-accounts/contactless/about-contactless/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭James McNulty

gctest50 wrote: »
    Do they not have Contactless payment ?

stuff less than €30 is what it's for

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/bank/current-accounts/contactless/about-contactless/

I was out in a pub when I started the thread. Barman told me you're allowed 3 contactless payments then you have to enter your PIN. Like I said, the 4 girls in front of me were paying for every single drink separately by different cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

They can pay by cash, the same as everyone else and stop acting the prima donna.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gallee

That does not make sense....If the bar is 2 deep and a load of people are using cards...of course it slows the whole thing down. Because the customer wont bother their arse going to an atm on the busiest nights of the week its the retailers fault? Most people I see look for cash back which cant be done by contactless so they have to put a pin in.....more time wasted. I saw it in Nancys where getting a drink on a saturday night is hard enough without waiting for someone typing in their pin. A bar man is Smiths says if all of us had a machine it still wouldnt be fast enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

People still type in their pin? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭listermint

With a proper terminal the contactless is less tha half the time it takes to take cash and count out change.

Not even comparible.

If the terminal is an old chip and pin one its as slow as cash if not slower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Roark

They can pay by cash, the same as everyone else and stop acting the prima donna.

Prima donna? because they want to use their card? Using a card on a night out avoids the worry of losing cash or having it stolen. I'd say that's the attraction.

Saying that, I bring cash with me on a night out but I'd prefer if I didn't have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

Twice I have been attacked and robbed while starting a night out in Limerick. Once 7 years ago walking down Crusies street around 6.30pm and once two years ago while using a busy ATM at 8pm (Aib O'Connell St) Both times, nobody intervened and I was hurt.... so now IF I go out in Limerick I use my card ... if people behind me have to wait then I prefer that to getting punched in the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Contactless is probably quicker than giving cash and waiting for change

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

If I was buying a car, I'd use a bank draft. On eBay, I use Paypal. When I'm paying for a meal, I use my card because I'm in no hurry and if it takes 5 minutes, so be it.

When I'm paying for a pint, I'll use cash so I don't delay myself or others and I can get back to my seat. When you go to a busy bar like Nancys, Smyths and there are 40 people waiting to get served and if half are paying by card, there has to be a delay as there cannot be a system that can cope with large numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

wally1990 wrote: »
    We are becoming a cashless society

indeed,

but anyone who uses a card in a "regular" pub/boozer should be flogged

its like using a card in a chipper ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

fryup wrote: »
    indeed,

but anyone who uses a card in a "regular" pub/boozer should be flogged

its like using a card in a chipper ffs

If you're a business that doesn't use contactless in 2017, it's your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭gotasmoke

My bank charges me for ATM withdrawls but using my card for purchases is free. So I rareley carry cash and use my card for everything from the weekly shop to a pint down the pub. As someone posted earlier, we're becomming a cashless society and it's up to the pubs and shops to facilitate this as painlessly as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gallee wrote: »
    That does not make sense....If the bar is 2 deep and a load of people are using cards...of course it slows the whole thing down. Because the customer wont bother their arse going to an atm on the busiest nights of the week its the retailers fault? Most people I see look for cash back which cant be done by contactless so they have to put a pin in.....more time wasted. I saw it in Nancys where getting a drink on a saturday night is hard enough without waiting for someone typing in their pin. A bar man is Smiths says if all of us had a machine it still wouldnt be fast enough.

You're missing the point.

Shop - enter item, press card button, tap and done
    Pub - enter item, get balance, type balance into terminal, tap card, wait about 14s for it to dial as it's a phone unit, completed.

Cards are only slower because vintners aren't good at keeping with the times.

Your completely missing the point. Most punters are looking for cash back so contactless is out the window and it only works 3 times before you put your pin in - so for cash back...you have to put your pin in...hence your “14 seconds” is accurate. Keeping up with the times is bull...the whole thread is people 2 deep at nite clubs all trying to pay with cards. I don’t care how many terminals the pub/club has...it’s slower by a long shot than cash. Show me how to buy 3 pints and get €50 cash back in under 20 seconds with your “keeping up with the times technology”.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Wetherspoons have an app that you can order your drinks pay for it and they'll deliver it to your table. The VFI would have the ability to develop a similar type app for their members where you show a receipt on your phone to collect your drink it wouldn't really be worthwhile for every pub to develop their own but that type thing could work well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Contactless is fine, but your only allowed 3 taps a day. So a max of €90 can be withdrawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I've never had to put my pin in when using contactless and I use it all the time, maybe I've been lucky but the 3 times thing isn't a hard rule.

You also get the bizarre step in some pubs where they print both the receipt from the till and terminal and carefully tape or staple them together, before opening the cash drawer anyway to put the receipts under the notes. They should have a proper integrated EPOS in this day and age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Hal1 wrote: »
    Contactless is fine, but your only allowed 3 taps a day. So a max of €90 can be withdrawn.
    What bank is that with? Either a bizarre policy or there's something not quite right there.

cosanostra wrote: »
    Wetherspoons have an app that you can order your drinks pay for it and they'll deliver it to your table. The VFI would have the ability to develop a similar type app for their members where you show a receipt on your phone to collect your drink it wouldn't really be worthwhile for every pub to develop their own but that type thing could work well

Great idea but would it work in Nancies tonight and then in ICON. Remember the op. Using cards in a busy pub/club not like House where that system works well.

More importantly!!! Our neighbor works in the Mortgages section of one of the banks. She said that when John Smith comes in for a mortgage they review all the financial info available to them including your account “activity”. So John- you are spending ??€ in entertainment as she reads through your statement...Nancies 19.00, House 32.40, Teds 16.40 and that was only last Saturday night!! I don’t think we can do that loan John.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I tap mine all the time, takes a second, no getting change etc (which I don't even want to have). No way I'm ever bringing cash again tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

I tap mine all the time, takes a second, no getting change etc (which I don't even want to have). No way I'm ever bringing cash again tbh.

When the sh1t hits the financial fan again like in 2008/2009, you'll be changing your mind on that one. Do you really want a Multinational in Cupertino to be in control of your hard earned cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭MrLaurel

You're missing the point.

Shop - enter item, press card button, tap and done
    Pub - enter item, get balance, type balance into terminal, tap card, wait about 14s for it to dial as it's a phone unit, completed.

Cards are only slower because vintners aren't good at keeping with the times.

This is not true.
    Shop - 3 people in queue, buy a Mars bar, tap the card and go.
    Busy Bar - for me last Christmas on a Company break up night, we have dinner (paid by card), head to a well known bar around 11pm and no word of a lie, about 20 people at the counter trying to get served and about 15 people behind next in line.
    About 10 staff serving with 3 card machines. There is no way they could have kept up with all the card usage and trying to serve at the same time.

Your 14 seconds is fine in a Centra but at 12am with Mary dropping her card and the guy next to her entering the wrong PIN etc etc, it's just a disaster.

For Christmas 2017, I'm walking to the local ATM after lunch and using cash only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭listermint

MrLaurel wrote: »
    This is not true.
    Shop - 3 people in queue, buy a Mars bar, tap the card and go.
    Busy Bar - for me last Christmas on a Company break up night, we have dinner (paid by card), head to a well known bar around 11pm and no word of a lie, about 20 people at the counter trying to get served and about 15 people behind next in line.
    About 10 staff serving with 3 card machines. There is no way they could have kept up with all the card usage and trying to serve at the same time.

Your 14 seconds is fine in a Centra but at 12am with Mary dropping her card and the guy next to her entering the wrong PIN etc etc, it's just a disaster.

For Christmas 2017, I'm walking to the local ATM after lunch and using cash only

You are confused. Contactless has no pin

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭MrLaurel

gotasmoke wrote: »
    My bank charges me for ATM withdrawls but using my card for purchases is free. So I rareley carry cash and use my card for everything from the weekly shop to a pint down the pub. As someone posted earlier, we're becomming a cashless society and it's up to the pubs and shops to facilitate this as painlessly as possible.

There's a reason why your Bank doesn't charge for Contactless at the moment. They'll reel us in and then lash on the charges.
    And I don't get the reason why we should embrace the need to become a Cashless Society as soon as possible either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

Contactless is so much easier than cash.

Also Limerick seems to be a black hole regards cashless society. The university shop refuses to accept any cards.

Advertisement