Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Cards in Pubs

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gallee

listermint wrote: »
    You are confused. Contactless has no pin

Most people are getting cashback - you have to use your pin.

Looks like we'll all be charged for it soon....
    https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/customers-told-dont-let-contactless-cards-out-of-your-sight-in-bars-restaurants-34946590.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭MrLaurel

listermint wrote: »
    You are confused. Contactless has no pin

Actually it is you who is confused. You're allowed 3 contactless transactions under €30 euro. On the 4th use, you have to enter your PIN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Contactless is €30 per DAY (or 24 hrs) not transaction. Once you hit the €30 mark its chip and pin for everything.

If you have 2x €15 transactions that is €30 so all others after that will need the PIN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

We are moving to cashless society, which is much more convenient, providing businesses keep with the times.

In many parts of the world this transition is a lot further ahead. I live in New Zealand and previously in Australia, I can not remember the last time I carried cash. Daily life here is entirely cashless in my experience, and its great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭listermint

MrLaurel wrote: »
    Actually it is you who is confused. You're allowed 3 contactless transactions under €30 euro. On the 4th use, you have to enter your PIN.

That wasn't the question and I'm fully versed in the volume of transactions.

All the best.

Timmyr wrote: »
    We are moving to cashless society, which is much more convenient, providing businesses keep with the times.

In many parts of the world this transition is a lot further ahead. I live in New Zealand and previously in Australia, I can not remember the last time I carried cash. Daily life here is entirely cashless in my experience, and its great!

Great, so why are you posting about a pub in Ireland? Or are you another of the "I was forced to move, blah blah and living down under is so GREAT! crowd?

No doubt you will be back to tell us how many electronic $$$ you get paid being cashless and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

So from all I'm reading, it's simply the pubs fault. If they get proper epos terminal with good connection and stop offering cashback, the whole process moves more quickly.

Maybe I've been in London too long but I very rarely have cash in my pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Timmyr wrote: »

Great, so why are you posting about a pub in Ireland? Or are you another of the "I was forced to move, blah blah and living down under is so GREAT! crowd?

No doubt you will be back to tell us how many electronic $$ you get paid being cashless and all.

Wow... I wasn't forced to move, I would never discuss my pay with anybody and I don't understand why you're so hostile?

I was simply sharing my thoughts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

TheChizler wrote: »
    What bank is that with? Either a bizarre policy or there's something not quite right there.

AIB and BOI. That's a security measure in case the card is lost or stolen. Still think it's bizzare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

One other factor that slows things down in a busy bar is that good bar staff will have 3 or 4 orders on the go at once - they'll put on 2 pints for A, and vodka a coke for B, and a 3 shots for C, take cash from the 3, toddle off to the til and come back with the change. It definitely slows things down having to input the orders separately so that each customer will be charged the right amount and tear up and down the bar with the card machine (even if contactless is being used).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Have to say that people using a credit card in pubs for one drink is driving me insane. I seem to be waiting forever to get & pay for my round because the people around me are using cards to buy one drink.
    Does anyone else have this problem?

I remember Smyths used to have an ATM.

I hate going to the pub and being held up by these cash using prima donnas, waiting round for their change, tying up the barstaff and holding everyone up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Readies is yer only man, wouldn't be without them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Contactless is €30 per DAY (or 24 hrs) not transaction. Once you hit the €30 mark its chip and pin for everything.

If you have 2x €15 transactions that is €30 so all others after that will need the PIN.

This is definitely not true. It's up to €30 per transaction when using a card (not mobile which doesn't have a specific limit) and there's no limit as to how many times per day you can use it. Some banks make you enter the PIN every so often but there's no hard rule. I'm with AIB and I've never had to enter my PIN with it and I use it multiple times a day.

AIB
    KBC
    Bank of Ireland

Hal1 wrote: »
    AIB and BOI. That's a security measure in case the card is lost or stolen. Still think it's bizzare?
    With AIB myself and this isn't true for them. There's no daily limit for contactless apart from the daily debit card limit of (I think) €3,500.

TheChizler wrote: »
    This is definitely not true. It's up to €30 per transaction when using a card (not mobile which doesn't have a specific limit) and there's no limit as to how many times per day you can use it. Some banks make you enter the PIN every so often but there's no hard rule. I'm with AIB and I've never had to enter my PIN with it and I use it multiple times a day.

AIB
    KBC
    Bank of Ireland

Try 3 x €30 contactless transactions (not chip and pin) and let me know how it works out for you...

It does not work like that in real life.

If you read the links that you posted there is no mention of a limit. However I work with a AIB employee and they have said again and again its €30 per day for contactless.

I paid €20 in M&S contactless and tried 2_hours later for €15 in Tesco. Was refused and had to use the PIN for the debit card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I was under the impression it's 30 per transaction and entering the pin is random, not after 3 transactions nessecarily. From my experience anyway

Try 3 x €30 contactless transactions (not chip and pin) and let me know how it works out for you...

If you read the links that you posted there is no mention of a limit. However I work with a AIB employee and they have said again and again its €30 per day for contactless.

I paid €20 in M&S contactless and tried 2_hours later for €15 in Tesco. Was refused and had to use the PIN for the debit card.
    I don't know how I can prove it to you but all I can say is I've done it several times, even over the last weekend.

Needless to say I need to take a little break from the pub to recover financially :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

As above, there is no hard and fast rule.

The pin enter request is random from AIB, Ulster & KBC. Don't know about the others.

This is AIB Merchant services info http://www.aibms.com/help/terminal/contactless-payments/

In terms of places not taking cards these days - they are the losers.

In my business its now 75% card use.

As for fees - taking a debit card is cheaper than bank fees for lodging cash. 0.35% v 0.45% A credit card is slightly more than the cash fees (0.65%) - but we save in time and security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I wanted to pay for something in a shop and the guy took my card and went to stick the card in and I said "no, use contact please it's only 1c for me then" and he said "no, I don't like it" I told him "I'm bank of Ireland and I don't feel like paying 9c more to enter my pin"(is 10c now for entering pin, was 25c when contactless came out to encourage people to use contactless). He said my choice was to enter my pin or leave essentially.

It makes no sense, merchants have to BUY those machines so why buy a machine with the contactless facility only to refuse it. I use contactless where I can and was annoyed one day in a shop who kept asking "would you like to tap". I asked why she asked that and why anybody would refuse it and her response was "some people don't find it secure" so I asked her "so they find it more secure in a room full of people typing their pin into a machine for potentially a thief to see". She hadn't thought of it like that.

I still remember when elderly people started getting chip and pin laser cards and some would call out their pin at the till and get the cashier to enter it. :D

I also remember when Dunnes first got their contactless machines and I paid for something using NFC on my phone. She even called the security guard nearby to ask him was it okay to take money from my phone. I didn't even know where to start explaining to her the money wasn't coming from my phone per se

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Berty wrote: »
    I wanted to pay for something in a shop and the guy took my card and went to stick the card in and I said "no, use contact please it's only 1c for me then" and he said "no, I don't like it" I told him "I'm bank of Ireland and I don't feel like paying 9c more to enter my pin"(is 10c now for entering pin, was 25c when contactless came out to encourage people to use contactless). He said my choice was to enter my pin or leave essentially.

It makes no sense, merchants have to BUY those machines so why buy a machine with the contactless facility only to refuse it. I use contactless where I can and was annoyed one day in a shop who kept asking "would you like to tap". I asked why she asked that and why anybody would refuse it and her response was "some people don't find it secure" so I asked her "so they find it more secure in a room full of people typing their pin into a machine for potentially a thief to see". She hadn't thought of it like that.

I still remember when elderly people started getting chip and pin laser cards and some would call out their pin at the till and get the cashier to enter it. :D

I also remember when Dunnes first got their contactless machines and I paid for something using NFC on my phone. She even called the security guard nearby to ask him was it okay to take money from my phone. I didn't even know where to start explaining to her the money wasn't coming from my phone per se
    I thought Berty didn't have a bank account :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

Berty wrote: »

BOI make you pay to use a card!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Berty wrote:

You should have said something like 'yeah, no probs I can insert the card' then move it towards the pad and bang! Tap that transaction!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Today I used contactless in
    Dunnes Harveys Quay - 14.48
    Debenhams - 22.00
    Boots - 7.87
    Burger King 9.90

Didnt enter pin once. Used it yesterday in Tesco Crescent for 9euro and had to enter pin. Its total random. But you can certainly use it more than €30 worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭swoofer

The reason elderly people don't like contact less is explained beautifully by maz2016. Loose card that is contact less lose money, lose card requires pin loose nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Except it's the opposite, lose cash and it's gone lose your card and the bank will refund fraudulent transactions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

I can't believe people are complaining about waiting for others to use the cards at the bar. I don't drink and i was out the other night. Went to Nancy's, honestly i don't understand what people see in places like this anyway. You wait to get in, you wait to get a drink, you wait to use the jacks, you wait to move, you wait till the smell of sweat and farts is gone, you wait for your supermacs and then you wait for a cab home whats the big deal?

Advertisement