Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving into deceased uncles house.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭orionm_73

They all have their own houses so wouldn't need to move in themselves
    They might not NEED to move in but might want to sell the house and pay a chunk off their mortgages, extend or renovate their own homes.
    I know 1 of them will not want the house sold and would be very open to the idea i think
    You think or you know? Maybe they will buy the others out and move in themselves thus keeping the house in the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

If the will stated that the house is to be sold, and proceeds divided amongst his three children, then the Executor must follow those wishes and sell the house. It may be that the three come to an arrangement and the one reluctant to sell buys the others out, but the wishes of your uncle must be carried out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

MouseTail wrote: »
    If the will stated that the house is to be sold, and proceeds divided amongst his three children, then the Executor must follow those wishes and sell the house. It may be that the three come to an arrangement and the one reluctant to sell buys the others out, but the wishes of your uncle must be carried out.

The will does not say the house is to be sold. It simply says that the house is to go to 3 beneficiaries. The beneficiaries can do what they like with the house. They could let the o/p in as caretaker for a period while they get around to selling it. It is entirely a matter for them.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The will does not say the house is to be sold. It simply says that the house is to go to 3 beneficiaries. The beneficiaries can do what they like with the house. They could let the o/p in as caretaker for a period while they get around to selling it. It is entirely a matter for them.

From the op “His will read that the house was to be left to his 3 kids and sold.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

You have great memories of your uncle.

Any possible squabble over property could ruin those memories.

Short term it may be beneficial to you, but long term it would not be especially as there seems to be disagreement already between the three beneficiaries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Who in their right mind would allow someone move in.

The op could just sit tight not pay a thing and they would be extremely hard moved on.

The whole thing sounds bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Is their a danger the 3 children will have seen you as someone angling for a cut of their fathers will. Rightly or wrongly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

backspin. wrote: »
    Is their a danger the 3 children will have seen you as someone angling for a cut of their fathers will. Rightly or wrongly.

Framing it in terms of 'the child he never had' doesn't help either.

The thread title is a bit misleading for the season that's in it!

From the op “His will read that the house was to be left to his 3 kids and sold.”

The O/p hasn't seen the will. A will never leaves property with a direction that it be sold. It leaves the property to named beneficiaries to do with as they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

A will may very well direct property or assets of the Estate be sold. It can be a wise move if conflict is anticipated.

• Advertisement

MouseTail wrote: »
    A will may very well direct property or assets of the Estate be sold. It can be a wise move if conflict is anticipated.

It would only happen if a trust was being created. How would it avert conflict? It may just as well cause conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Maybe this house is worth more to the OP than anyone else?

If I were the OP I would speak to the executor and ask what plans there are and if there is any interest in renting it to the OP with a view to a sale.

There is no harm in registering an interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

At the risk of being blunt OP, if you were as close as you believe to your uncle then why did he give you the shaft in the will?

There's no reason he couldn't have included you or left instruction for you to be allowed to stay in the house.

Admittedly I don't know all the details, maybe you were taken care of financially or something but if you were thought of as the 4th child then why do you think he didn't give you any share?

That said, old people are odd sometimes. Wills tend to be made purely on tradition and what is the done thing. Personally I don't give a hoot. I don't have kids but I have got nieces and nephews but I'm also including some non blood relatives too.

Advertisement