Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transplanting Holly Tree

Options
  • 28-10-2017 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for a little bit of advice ...
    Last October I transferred a Holly tree from a pot (where it was homed for years) into the ground, and since then it's doing mighty!
    So good, I would love to move it to a more prominent area of the garden. I was wondering was now a good time to do it?
    Googling it, it seems to be, but should I take into account it was transferred last year. Last thing I want to do it stress it out!

Any thoughts??
    Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Hi,
    I'm looking for a little bit of advice ...
    Last October I transferred a Holly tree from a pot (where it was homed for years) into the ground, and since then it's doing mighty!
    So good, I would love to move it to a more prominent area of the garden. I was wondering was now a good time to do it?
    Googling it, it seems to be, but should I take into account it was transferred last year. Last thing I want to do it stress it out!

Any thoughts??
    Thanks in advance...

Time of year is good - young trees can be moved sucessfully. Tree nurseries regularly move young trees whilst growing them on for sale just make sure you use a tie and stake- or it may suffer from been blown with the wind as it will take some time for the root system to anchor itself ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Too early yet. It would be best to wait until winter really sets in and then move your holly on a day that the ground is not frozen. Take as large a rootball as you can.

Stake the plant, useing an angled stake like this: (will avoid damage to the roots in the future)

PUB0006272_551363.jpg

And use a rubber tie. The rubber tie needs to have the corrugated bit next to the Tree bark, not on the outside as in photo.

rubber-tree-ties-Soft-Plastic-Rubber-Garden.jpg_640x640.jpg

Aftercare, esp watering, will be important for a few years with a holly. Depending on the size u would also consider using a wind break mesh around it.

But if it's doing so well why move it?

Just a heads up - as an evergreen Holly is best moved anytime during October or Late March Late. (This differs for deciduous trees: see above) So If you wish to move best go ahead now or wait till March

Here is a reputable guide on transplanting methods

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=293

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Very good advice for a different hardiness zone with a much lower rainfall than here.

The main thing with moving hollies is to ensure that they have sufficient water to continue to be able to function in their new spot over the winter and our winter provides that in abundance.

As stated on the Rhs site Holly is evergreen and has different replanting requirements to decidious trees and bushes. That does not change here btw. So sooner the better for planting. Regarding hardiness - Holly is an extremely hardy tree. There is little variation between Ireland and the UK. You can checknout your own location here.

See:[url]
    http://www.trebrown.com/hrdzone.html[/url]
    &
    http://www.gardenandgreen.co.uk/british-isles-plant-hardiness/4592117927

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Holly is indeed very hardy: your plant will survive, even if it mopes for a while. (Yes, I have known hollies to sulk!)

Bear in mind: why move a plant that has found a place it is happy in?

Holly grows slowly at first, you may need years of patience. (not true of all, but, something to remember)

They are one of the trees that thrives in low light - good for a dark spot - a very useful quality in a garden.

Finally, holly loves lime, or alkaline soil: and may turn yellow and starved-looking on acid soil, eg bog, which they really don't like much.
    They also like rich feeding so a dollop of your good compost now and again will cheer them right up.
    And if the plant is an awkward shape, you can prune them: use the cut branches for Christmas decoration. (Caution: highly flammable!)

Advertisement