Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Spurs 12:30 Sky Sports

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Lukker- wrote: »
    *Wing back in a back 5*

lol. What about Conte and Poch? They play with 5 at the back too and play defensive every game? Talk about clutching straws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Grayditch wrote: »
    I feel like Spurs were missing something, but I can't put my finger on it.

As I keep pointing out there were in similar form last year as was kane and he didn't get a look in at OT.

United were missing.

Ibra,Pogba,Fel,Carrick,rojo

Just our top goal scorer last year and our most creative mids.

Lets keep harping on about kane though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Ah jaysus lads relax saying spurs were the better side first half isn't that crazy. I thought they did shade it, what does it matter utd won.

limnam wrote: »
    As I keep pointing out there were in similar form last year as was kane and he didn't get a look in at OT.

United were missing.

Ibra,Pogba,Fel,Carrick,rojo

Just our top goal scorer last year and our most creative mids.

Lets keep harping on about kane though..

Are utd missing ibra and carrick. I don't think they would start if everyone is fit.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I feel like Spurs were missing something, but I can't put my finger on it.

They missed a player who had one shot on target in 3 game at Old Trafford.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    lol. What about Conte and Poch? They play with 5 at the back too and play defensive every game? Talk about clutching straws.

But we aren't talking about that? Jose pretty much trying to emulate Conte's system.

It's clearly defensive football, it is when Chelsea and Spurs do it too, it just doesn't get the fanbase holier than thou when it's suggested they setup that way.

So insecure

niallo27 wrote: »
    Ah jaysus lads relax saying spurs were the better side first half isn't that crazy. I thought they did shade it, what does it matter utd won.

Considering they didn't touch the ball for the first 15 minutes, how did they boss it exactly?

limnam wrote: »
    Considering they didn't touch the ball for the first 15 minutes, how did they boss it exactly?

Do you think utd were the better side in the first half.

But we aren't talking about that? Jose pretty much trying to emulate Conte's system.

It's clearly defensive football, it is when Chelsea and Spurs do it too, it just doesn't get the fanbase holier than thou when it's suggested they setup that way.

So insecure

Keep digging. So Chelsea play defensive game every game? Juventus played 3 at the back against almost every team, so they played defensive game too?

Emulating Conte's system? You know 3 at the back was used much before Conte stepped into PL and he himself copied Mazzarri's system? We didn't even play 3-4-3, it was 2 strikers with Mihitaryan behind them.

No, we are not insecure. It's just we are calling out **** posts.

Meh, good day. Can't be arsed anymore in match day threads. It's full of **** posts. You made a bs post and now keep on digging deeper.

• Advertisement

Do you think utd were the better side in the first half.

Spurs were marginally better in the first half.

That's a big difference from "bossing" the first half.

Nalz wrote: »
    Yeah, Spurs "bossed" the first half according to you. Nice choice of word.

What I would say to that is that is "lol".

?

You'll be better when Kane returns without a doubt. Hard luck today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

So you thought they "shaded" it, which I can see why, they had more chances, more of the ball (I think) and ran more ... But you don't see anything wrong with someone saying Spurs "bossed" it?

Very very different things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

So insecure

It's called picking the best team available for the match in hand. With a lack of good midfield options available atm it made total sense to go with a 5-3-2 / 3-4-3

It got the result. I don't know how any United fan could have issues with the tactics used today. It's the players that need to step it up.

Jose was spot on tactically today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Shading and bossing are two entirely different things though.

That's all people are having issue with.

Keep digging. So Chelsea play defensive game every game? Juventus played 3 at the back against almost every team, so they played defensive game too?

Emulating Conte's system? You know 3 at the back was used much before Conte stepped into PL and he himself copied Mazzarri's system? We didn't even play 3-4-3, it was 2 strikers with Mihitaryan behind them.

No, we are not insecure. It's just we are calling out **** posts.

Meh, good day. Can't be arsed anymore in match day threads. It's full of **** posts. You made a bs post and now keep on digging deeper.

I mean it's not wrong to say Conte introduced the system to the PL. Before he came, no team played. Now Spurs, Arsenal, United occasionally, City the same, and a whole host of smaller teams play it week in week out.

You feel like you were calling me out on it, good for you, I stand by my posts.

Good to see the Jose siege mentality is strong, literally get offended by anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I mean it's not wrong to say Conte introduced the system to the PL. Before he came, no team played. Now Spurs, Arsenal, United occasionally, City the same, and a whole host of smaller teams play it week in week out.

Good to see the Jose siege mentality is strong, literally get offended by anything

You think that that formation is a defensive one by default?

You think that that formation is a defensive one by default?

No formation is defensive by default, unless you are playing with 4 CB's and 2 wing backs or something.

It comes down to tactical approach, player instructions. A 4-3-3 can be more defensive than a 3-5-2 etc

Then you need to do some google to see who used it all their career. Conte didn't even start with that formation, only when he lost games against Liverpool and Arsenal he switched to 3 at the back.

Seige mentality? Keep them coming. Most of the game was played in Spurs third and you think Jose played defensive game, says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

No formation is defensive by default, unless you are playing with 4 CB's and 2 wing backs or something.

It comes down to tactical approach, player instructions. A 4-3-3 can be more defensive than a 3-5-2 etc

And you genuinely, honestly, believe that what you watched today was a defensive set-up? I mean, the football wasn't good from United first half, but that was down to the players more than the set-up. the full backs were asked to get forward, the third in the midfield (Mkhi) was tasked with nothing in defence.

What I think people are seeing is poor execution from players, running it through the Jose ringer and coming out with defensive football. We played the exact same way against Huddersfield last week and we were't set up defensively there either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Good win, United still in the title race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Louis Van Gaal played 3 at the back with United long before Conte played 3 at the back for Chelsea..

It’s amazing all these managers taking LVG system and making it work in their own way. It’s like managers are actually doing what they are paid to do

Then you need to do some google to see who used it all their career. Conte didn't even start with that formation, only when he lost games against Liverpool and Arsenal he switched to 3 at the back.

Seige mentality? Keep them coming. Most of the game was played in Spurs third and you think Jose played defensive game, says it all.

Examples in the PL before Conte?

All I can recall is Wigan under Martinez to very limited success?

Howe credits Conte with starting the 3 at the back trend, called it a revolution for the PL

So? The players wanted to try a 433 so Conte obliged. He changed to his system after that tailored to the players, to wild success. Teams followed suit. Even Jose, after claiming 5 at the back was too defensive

astradave wrote: »
    Louis Van Gaal played 3 at the back with United long before Conte played 3 at the back for Chelsea..

It’s amazing all these managers taking LVG system and making it work in their own way. It’s like managers are actually doing what they are paid to do

Actually forgot about LVG, but you could forgive me for that, it was a forgettable 2 years and his shyster certainly didn’t encourage replication

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

3 at the back has been used on and off for years in football, hell even in England.

It’s fashionable at the moment. These things with formations go in cycles.

It’s laughable to suggest Conte introduced it to the English game. Like it’s a ludicrous thing to say.

Examples in the PL before Conte?

All I can recall is Wigan under Martinez to very limited success?

Howe credits Conte with starting the 3 at the back trend, called it a revolution for the PL

So? The players wanted to try a 433 so Conte obliged. He changed to his system after that tailored to the players, to wild success. Teams followed suit. Even Jose, after claiming 5 at the back was too defensive

Van Gaal played 3 at the back but it was total failure, Rodgers played 3 at the back in few games. Mazzarri at Watford played 3 at the back, all his career he played that and he even accused Conte that he copied his style when both were in Serie A.

Conte is the manager who first won PL playing 3 at the back? Yes. He wasn't the one who introduced it to PL.

For example when someone used the same against Pochettino.
    “Chelsea, when they played here, started with a back four and after 3-0 in the 60th minute they changed to three. But last season we played against Watford, December 28, with three centre backs. Just because Chelsea won 5-0 yesterday, they didn’t discover the system.

“I think it’s a good system to use, dependant on the players. But we didn’t play like Chelsea, we played with two strikers [Kane and Heung-min Son] and Christian [Eriksen] in behind. But I think all the team can play in different systems.

“Nobody owns some system like we played today.”

adox wrote: »
    3 at the back has been used on and off for years in football, hell even in England.

It’s laughable to suggest Conte introduced it to the English game. Like it’s a ludicrous thing to say.

Teams were using it mid 90s in England. It's probably an age thing

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    ?

You'll be better when Kane returns without a doubt. Hard luck today.

What's the question mark all about? You really didn't understand my post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Garzorico wrote: »
    because he can disappear in certain types of game. Suits Utds defensive style though.

Logical fallacy ðŸ˜

Who made it fashionable? Never said he introduced it

Who made it fashionable? Never said he introduced it

You said he introduced it to the premier league which is just plain wrong.

• Advertisement

You said he introduced it to the premier league which is just plain wrong.

I said he started the trend, you can quote my post if I'm wrong.

• Lukker- wrote: »

But he didn't start the trend

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    But he didn't start the trend

Who did?

No offence but I'll take another managers opinion over yours in that regard

• It's like he forgot he posted it :P

I'll hold my hands up on that one!

No reply Mick?

It's like he forgot he posted it :P

Don't assume my gender :pac:

• Lukker- wrote: »
    Don't assume my gender :pac:

Fair enough, he/she

See that wasn't so hard :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Fair enough, he/she

See that wasn't so hard :P

A transphobe as well as a united fan, shameful.

• Advertisement

• GreNoLi wrote: »
    A transphobe as well as a united fan, shameful.

Lol I meant that as in he or a she, I'm no longer assuming lukkers gender!

Lol I meant that as in he or a she, I'm no longer assuming lukkers gender!

And as potential non binary person you continue to offend me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Martinez played back 3 with Wigan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

We're going to win the league. :D

All the signs are good.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Massive result for City. Let's see if they can take advantage.

Gemstone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

BloodBath wrote: »
    It's called picking the best team available for the match in hand. With a lack of good midfield options available atm it made total sense to go with a 5-3-2 / 3-4-3

It got the result. I don't know how any United fan could have issues with the tactics used today. It's the players that need to step it up.

Jose was spot on tactically today.

JAY.

1.6 Waterford. 12 years later :)

• Advertisement

• Tony Martial came from France
    The English press said he had no chance
    50 million down the drain
    Tony Martial scores again

Advertisement