Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jerry Kiernan is trolling again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Trolling or not he talks a lot of sense. He’s old skool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Chivito550 wrote: »
    A real selection box here. Gym sessions not being real training, the GAA, and Rugby are on his shopping list.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/dublin-marathon-why-we-are-running-out-of-irish-winners-1.3271566?mode=amp

Obviously he never comes across well in these things but alot of the points he makes are valid (regarding specificity etc) and isn't the first to make them as a few top managers have made similar points regarding the GAA aspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Obviously he never comes across well in these things but alot of the points he makes are valid (regarding specificity etc) and isn't the first to make them as a few top managers have made similar points regarding the GAA aspect.

If he thinks gym work is a waste of time for GAA then by default he must think it's a waste of time for sprinters, hurdlers, jumpers and throwers. Laughable stuff.

Also somebody needs to tell Mo Farah that he's wasting his time squatting in the gym!

The rugby quote comparing it to bowls is a real cracker though.

I think he has a valid point.

Gyms nowadays seem to be full of people with no interest in running faster or longer, but obsessed with looking better and losing weight/sculpting their figure. I'd say 2 or 3 of us in the local gym hit the treadmills with any intensity (not that I like it, but sometimes needs must). The most popular gym and fitness trainer here couldn't run a bath, I think he runs Tuff Mudder type stuff because, you know, Pat Divilly and charidee. I wouldn't bother asking him a running specific question, he wouldn't have an iota. The whole message he sells is body body body, and people flock to him because he is tanned and toned, the men want to look like him and the women want him to notice them.

Don't get me wrong, I see proper courses in gyms like Fitnessworx in Cork with real strength and conditioning stuff by people who know running. But in rural Ireland, it's hopeless.

If he thinks gym work is a waste of time for GAA then by default he must think it's a waste of time for sprinters, hurdlers, jumpers and throwers. Laughable stuff.

Also somebody needs to tell Mo Farah that he's wasting his time squatting in the gym!

The rugby quote comparing it to bowls is a real cracker though.

I don't think he is saying that it's a waste of time but more that it doesn't replace the need for actual sports specific training. His comments are that GAA players are getting bigger but not too much fitter similar to the way Rugby was about 20 years ago.

This is a view that the likes of O'Dwyer and other managers have made recently as well. Micky Ruben (Bolt's S and C coach) made similar comments regarding Irish and UK runners not doing enough sprint practice as part of there training as being a major difference to the Caribbean and US approaches.

He doesn't always get his point across in the best way but I do think there is alot of validity to what he is saying if you look objectively at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I don't think he is saying that it's a waste of time but more that it doesn't replace the need for actual sports specific training. His comments are that GAA players are getting bigger but not too much fitter similar to the way Rugby was about 20 years ago.

This is a view that the likes of O'Dwyer and other managers have made recently as well. Micky Ruben (Bolt's S and C coach) made similar comments regarding Irish and UK runners not doing enough sprint practice as part of there training as being a major difference to the Caribbean and US approaches.

He doesn't always get his point across in the best way but I do think there is alot of validity to what he is saying if you look objectively at it.

Gaa is played at a quicker pace now than ever.
    Mayo train just as hard as dublin.

Instead of moaning he should look at the athletes he trains and why some perform poorly this year.

Instead of moaning he should look at the athletes he trains and why some perform poorly this year.

Mayo and top 4 do but further down you see many of the teams getting bigger but running out of steam in matches as many of the S and C coaches as part of the gym culture tend to dismiss the value of cardio fitness.

As a whole his group is one of the most successful in the country and many of them had pretty good years (Christie,Moran, Dooney, possibly Ciobanu, Dunleavy) Ciara and Travers are not the only athletes in that group.

Mayo and top 4 do but further down you see many of the teams getting bigger but running out of steam in matches as many of the S and C coaches as part of the gym culture tend to dismiss the value of cardio fitness.

As a whole his group is one of the most successful in the country and many of them had pretty good years (Christie,Moran, Dooney, possibly Ciobanu, Dunleavy) Ciara and Travers are not the only athletes in that group.

Measuring success in Ireland is not that high.
    He claims there is flaws about every other sport or club training in Ireland, maybe he should look at his own and where they fallen short.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Who in their right mind would pursue athletics over GAA (if lucky enough to have the option)?

A top athlete will be the best in the country of their generation, qualify for the Olympics (say top 100 in the world), will likely just miss out on a semi final (top 30) and be considered a failure but huge swathes of the country. A Dublin GAA player who might only be one of the top 50 / 100 players in the country walks away with an All Ireland medal and is considered a super star.

🀔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

He claims there is flaws about every other sport or club training in Ireland, maybe he should look at his own and where they fallen short.

???

There is no suggestion in the piece that Kiernan exempts his own athletes from the criticism. Or that he thinks he has all the answers himself. There’s a lot of reasons why people train differently 30years after the 1980s. Lifestyle is one. Sports science is another. Relative affluence yet another. Ireland has changed a lot in that time, and it’s an objective fact that our best marathon runners have gotten slower, a similar situation to many affluent countries. All he is doing is ruminating on changed training habits, and the fact that they have not resulted in better performances at the sharp end.

• Advertisement

Ah come on!

Look at the distance national championships this year

National 10k Road - Christie
    National 10,000m - K Dooney
    National HM - K Dooney
    Marathon (2016) - Ciobanu

Look at the only sub 14 clockings over 5k this year - Travers and Christie

You might not like the man but he is arguably on of the most successful coaches in the country at the moment.

Hahahaha love the way you say measuring success in Ireland is not that high, yet appear to be an advocate of an indigenous sport. Hypocrisy much.

Hahahaha love the way you say measuring success in Ireland is not that high, yet appear to be an advocate of an indigenous sport. Hypocrisy much.

That's because the other sport can only be measured at a irish level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The thing is, some people seem to equate winning an all-Ireland medal in GAA with winning an Olympic or World medal in athletics.

They are not even remotely close to being the same.

No doubt there's somebody on a Swiss forum saying the same about Hornussen and trying to compare the achievements of some nobody who plays this indigenous sport with Roger Federer.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornussen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Pherekydes wrote: »
    The thing is, some people seem to equate winning an all-Ireland medal in GAA with winning an Olympic or World medal in athletics.

I don't think many would in fairness, even the most die hard GAA fans are a bit more realistic than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

A real selection box here. Gym sessions not being real training, the GAA, and Rugby are on his shopping list.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/dublin-marathon-why-we-are-running-out-of-irish-winners-1.3271566?mode=amp

Actually don't think he's trolling. Reckon it's just an honest opinion. Interesting article.

Winning an all-Ireland medal is the pinnacle of County GAA playing and is treated as that as it should be.

No doubt there's somebody on a Swiss forum saying the same about Hornussen and trying to compare the achievements of some nobody who plays this indigenous sport with Roger Federer.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornussen

In fairness, I never compare a gaa achievement to an athlete winning an international medal.

That's because some people are just silly. An all Ireland is a great achievement but an Olympic medal is a global achievement.

I have never met anyone saying an all Ireland is bigger or same as Olympic medal. Have you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I sometimes wonder what JK hopes to achieve with these rants. I mean I share a lot of his views or at least I relate to them but what actual good does it do to go to war with other sports. Then I think maybe hes just giving his honest opinion right or wrong on a given topic. In this bull **** world we are so acustomed to people tip toeing around topics or alternatively going overboatd aka trolling that maybe we cant evaluate honesty for what it is. And I still cant spell.

• Advertisement

ultrapercy wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder what JK hopes to achieve with these rants. I mean I share a lot of his views or at least I relate to them but what actual good does it do to go to war with other sports. Then I think maybe hes just giving his honest opinion right or wrong on a given topic. In this bull **** world we are so acustomed to people tip toeing around topics or alternatively going overboatd aka trolling that maybe we cant evaluate honesty for what it is. And I still cant spell.

Is he not the Eamonn dunphy and Joe brolly of the sport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Who in their right mind would pursue athletics over GAA (if lucky enough to have the option)?

A top athlete will be the best in the country of their generation, qualify for the Olympics (say top 100 in the world), will likely just miss out on a semi final (top 30) and be considered a failure but huge swathes of the country. A Dublin GAA player who might only be one of the top 50 / 100 players in the country walks away with an All Ireland medal and is considered a super star.

🀔

And that's his point GAA is the easy route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Is he not the Eamonn dunphy and Joe brolly of the sport?

I dont think so. Hes not doing it for profile or status so whats in it for him ? An ego boost? Maybe. I think hes just Jerry being Jerry and taking no prisoners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

🀔

You are right on the face of it, but most people choose the sport they love doing. If it was a choice between Dublin footballers and Dublin hurlers I would agree with you as they are quite interchangeable for a 15 year old. The worst footballers can be the best runners, and vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

When Jerry talks easy route he means how physically challenging...running and training for running is tougher...takes that extra special person to be able to do it and excel at it..GAA players are ten a penny! For every on one of you guys logging 60-70 quality miles per week there are 50 or so GAA players logging..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ultrapercy wrote: »
    I dont think so. Hes not doing it for profile or status so whats in it for him ? An ego boost? Maybe. I think hes just Jerry being Jerry and taking no prisoners.

Yeah, I don't think he's saying anything in that article that he wouldn't say to you in person,he's not being controversial for the sake of it.

And he is one of a gang of people who held down full-time jobs,trained their arses off, and ran faster times than anyone is running today...

Advertisement