Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should player interviews pre match / post match be scrapped?

• 28-10-2017 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭

Win loose or draw there is no point to player interviews
    If English is thier native language you get cliches 'at the end of the day, taking one game at a time'

The interviewers ask elongated questions to try and lead the banal interview into some sort of coherent direction.

With non-native English speakers it is even worse.
    A lot speak in pigeon English.

'Am very happy'

The interviewer then leads the player like they would with a child or an adult with a learning difficulty.

Is this a turning point in your season which makes you happy?

'Yes, very happy'

No real information is divulged both interviewers and interviees are just going through the motions

Is there anyone left who enjoys them?

Or more to the point has anyone ever enjoyed them?

To suffer and listen to the managers should be enough?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Should post match / pre match players interviews should be scrapped? 18 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Win loose or draw there is no point to player interviews
    If English is thier native language you get cliches 'at the end of the day, taking one game at a time'

The interviewers ask elongated questions to try and lead the banal interview into some sort of coherent direction.

With non-native English speakers it is even worse.
    A lot speak in pigeon English.

'Am very happy'

The interviewer then leads the player like they would with a child or an adult with a learning difficulty.

Is this a turning point in your season which makes you happy?

'Yes, very happy'

No real information is divulged both interviewers and interviees are just going through the motions

Is there anyone left who enjoys them?

Or more to the point has anyone ever enjoyed them?

To suffer and listen to the managers should be enough?

Your dead right OP, they offer nothing.

For one Kevin Keegan "I would love it...", You have about 4 million of "always a tough opponent/one game at a time/I am happy..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I added a poll it is probably a better idea

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Manager interviews are far more in need of culling - there is a post match presser so the immediate, and at times confused thoughts of the coach are not needed except for faux dramatic purposes.

• Advertisement

Very rare I'd watch them these days. Watch the game and then usually switch off. Unless it's after an Ireland game on RTE which is good for a laugh.

Footballers aren't generally an intelligent bunch and just talk in scripted cliches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Very rare I'd watch them these days. Watch the game and then usually switch off. Unless it's after an Ireland game on RTE which is good for a laugh.

Footballers aren't generally an intelligent bunch and just talk in scripted cliches.

Couldn’t agree more. The interviewer both asks and provides the answer these days for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I agree most interviews are useless, and I always fsst forward through them if I can. I'd love interviewers to show managers clips from the game and challenge them on their usual one-eyed appraisal of incidents i.e. "now that you can see it, how could you claim that should be a penalty? Because you said this other one wasn't a penalty last week"

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Media training has turned them all into robots. All about the 3 points. Always tough place to come. We came for 3 points but we'll take the point and get ready for a big game next week.

Mind-numbing nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The players can't say anything at that level because anything they say will be blown up by the media and make headlines. Criticize a refereeing decision and they may get fined, say they are unhappy with a managerial decision and the papers say the player wants to leave, give out about a team mates performance and it's "trouble in the dressing room". As the above poster said they are all trained in what to say to generate positive PR and get them in the least amount of trouble. If players and managers could be completely honest then the interviews would be worth watching but the way they are now they might as well scrap them as they are complete rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Gary Lineker's weekly interview on match of the day are so consistently unentertaining it's an achievement in a way.
    Always positive stories with questions that lead to nothing of substance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Media training has turned them all into robots. All about the 3 points. Always tough place to come. We came for 3 points but we'll take the point and get ready for a big game next week.

Mind-numbing nonsense.

And because we live in the era of the 24 hour news cycle we have a chance to hear that mind-numbing nonsense again and again and again and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Haven't listened to one in years......thats the solution. Ignore them.

Advertisement