Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting motor from Hydraulic Pump on log- splitter

Options
  • 28-10-2017 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭

I have an old Powercraft electric hydraulic Logsplitter that I bought in Lidl. I also have a spare for parts.

My original one got flooded last year and I'd left it aside when it wouldn't work afterwards. I have now established that the electric motor is toast- full of water and rusty as be-damned. I have a good motor on the spare that I want to transfer. When I was checking out the bad one, it was held on to the housing for the hydraulic pump by three 8mm screw-bolts that removed easily. However, removing the actual motor from the hydraulic housing was an absolute nightmare! I got it removed eventually using a lot of brute force and ignorance.

Now when I went to the spare, the 3 holding screw-bolts removed easily. I was able to move the motor about 1-2 mm out from the housing then it stuck. I don't want to use the same level of brute force and ignorance on this motor as I bent the shaft of the old one while removing it.

Is there a trick to removing these type of motors that I might use? I suspect a steady pull, with slowly increasing force would split it, but setting that up would be a bit tricky.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭biblio

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I have an old Powercraft electric hydraulic Logsplitter that I bought in Lidl. I also have a spare for parts.

My original one got flooded last year and I'd left it aside when it wouldn't work afterwards. I have now established that the electric motor is toast- full of water and rusty as be-damned. I have a good motor on the spare that I want to transfer. When I was checking out the bad one, it was held on to the housing for the hydraulic pump by three 8mm screw-bolts that removed easily. However, removing the actual motor from the hydraulic housing was an absolute nightmare! I got it removed eventually using a lot of brute force and ignorance.

Now when I went to the spare, the 3 holding screw-bolts removed easily. I was able to move the motor about 1-2 mm out from the housing then it stuck. I don't want to use the same level of brute force and ignorance on this motor as I bent the shaft of the old one while removing it.

Is there a trick to removing these type of motors that I might use? I suspect a steady pull, with slowly increasing force would split it, but setting that up would be a bit tricky.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Remove the motor fan cover and try attaching a slide hammer to the protruding motor shaft.
    You may have to drill and tap the motor shaft to attach the puller/slide hammer.
    Or could you swop over the good motor and hydraulic unit as one unit to the splitter body

Advertisement