Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we over the annual poppy thread?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Another clear and blatant lie from you! There is evidence in this thread and many other threads where Republicans/pro IRA supporters not only refuse to condemn the murder of innocent civilians but do in fact claim that the killing of innocent civilians was justified collateral damage.

Straight up question..

A:Do you think there will be a United Ireland in the next 25 years.

B:Do you think Ireland should be United.

sounds like it is straight from a shinner manifesto.

Good Catch, I copied and pasted it from the little green book ;)

not yet wrote: »
    Straight up question..

Timberrrr, Timberrrr......you there ???

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Another clear and blatant lie from you! There is evidence in this thread and many other threads where Republicans/pro IRA supporters not only refuse to condemn the murder of innocent civilians but do in fact claim that the killing of innocent civilians was justified collateral damage.

it's not a lie. i don't tell lies.
    ira supporters condemn the killing of civilians. the only potential people who some ira supporters believe to be collateral damage were touts (informants)
    i don't agree with that viewpoint and believe there was another way to deal with touts. they didn't have to be, or need to be killed.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

it's not nonsense. britain did stand by and let germany get on with it, until it was about to effect them.

It is nonsense because the claim was Britain just watched Germany invade France and the like without doing anything when in truth they declared war in 1939 and started bombing Germany in 1940, even before they invaded France.

So it's just untrue, I don't know who taught some of the people on this thread about WW2 history but they must be terrible historians or really bitter Irish Republicans. 

Ehhhhhh, are you contradicting yourself? :confused:

• Advertisement

By all accounts their are only 22 countries The Empire have not invaded..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Straight up question..

Do I think ireland should be United?

Yes I have always said it should be.

Do i think it will happen in the next 25 years? (Have you changed your position from 10-15 years?)

No I don't think it will happen in that time (I hope I'm wrong) simply because I believe it.will take at least another 2 generations for the wounds to heal between both sides of the divide and for the people of both north and south to come together in unity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

it's not nonsense. britain did stand by and let germany get on with it, until it was about to effect them.

It is nonsense because the claim was Britain just watched Germany invade France and the like without doing anything when in truth they declared war in 1939 and started bombing Germany in 1940, even before they invaded France.

So it's just untrue, I don't know who taught some of the people on this thread about WW2 history but they must be terrible historians or really bitter Irish Republicans. 

Ehhhhhh, are you contradicting yourself? :confused:
    The quoting system on this forum is horrific at times. I didn't say that, I was disputing the claim.

it's not a lie. i don't tell lies.
    ira supporters condemn the killing of civilians. the only potential people who some ira supporters believe to be collateral damage were touts (informants)
    i don't agree with that viewpoint and believe there was another way to deal with touts. they didn't have to be, or need to be killed.

Obviously it is a lie because there is multiple instances of IRA supporters openly justifying the murder of innocent civilians as collateral damage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Obviously it is a lie because there is multiple instances of IRA supporters openly justifying the murder of innocent civilians as collateral damage!

Hmm

• Advertisement

Hmm

And your point is?

I'm not (and never have) condoned the murder of innocent civilians, that post was pointing out that (unfortunately) every army thatbhad ever gone to war has killed innocent civilians. That it has happened does not make it right though.

And your point is?

I'm not (and never have) condoned the murder of innocent civilians, that post was pointing out that (unfortunately) every army thatbhad ever gone to war has killed innocent civilians. That it has happened does not make it right though.

But the fact that GB invaded dozens of countries means they murdered more then their fair share...

Thoughts..?

But the fact that GB invaded dozens of countries means they murdered more then their fair share...

Thoughts..?

I don't condone the murder of 1 or 1 million innocent people, you on the other hand refuse to condemn your heroes for thier blatant murder of innocent civilians.

it's not a lie. none of the ira supporters on here have ever condoned the killing of innocent civilians.

it's not a lie. none of the ira supporters on here have ever condoned the killing of innocent civilians.
    If ever you needed an example of an oxymoron statement.

Proof you are lying ;)
    No I wouldn't, It's justified in some cases.

Edit:

Whilst I do believe the killing of civilians is wrong, it happens in a war.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

are you including jean mcconville in that list of innocent civilians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Depends...do you believe the lad that says adams ordered her killing?

Proof you are lying

he wasn't condoning it, just saying it can happen in wars. i believe it can be avoided if care is taken.

assuming she was a tout then she wouldn't have been wholey innocent. in saying that whoever killed her didn't need to do so and could have found another less destructive way to deal with her to insure she no longer touted. taking a mother away from her children was unnecessary.

Break her legs? The IRA was a law upon itself.

• Advertisement

The IRA was a law upon itself.

the RUC and BA along with their loyalist friends were more so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

There is evidence in this thread and many other threads where Republicans/pro IRA supporters not only refuse to condemn the murder of innocent civilians but do in fact claim that the killing of innocent civilians was justified collateral damage.

Correct. The IRA claimed 1,778 lives, 642 of whom were civilians, according to the book Lost Lives. Many of the others were people like the census collector shot in Derry, or the cook Patsy Gillespie, who died along with five soldiers after being forced by the IRA to drive a car bomb into a check-point - the cook and census collecor were considered by the IRA to be legitimate targets. As were elected politicians : these were legitimate targets too. Not to mention off duty part time or retired security force members shot in the back while leaving grandchildren to school, or killed by cowardly booby trap bombs under family cars. The 642 who were pure civilians - like the people murdered in the Le Mon restaurant bombing - did not deserve to die, but neither did the over 1000 other people either. It set back Irish unity 100 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,539 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The poppy is doomed to this because of what it is and represents.

Ireland should lead the way with a new neutral symbol that remembers all the dead of wars and conflicts.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/2017/11/10/news/family-of-murdered-raf-war-hero-say-poppy-has-been-sectarianised--1183903/

Ireland should lead the way with a new neutral symbol that remembers all the dead of wars and conflicts.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/2017/11/10/news/family-of-murdered-raf-war-hero-say-poppy-has-been-sectarianised--1183903/

I wuld agree with the woman in the article (whose uncle was murdered ): Ms Evans said the use of the poppy to commemorate killers like McKeag "debases it".

However a few scumbags painted that poppy on to the mural: it was not official.

Its like the tricolour flag was hijacked by extremist Republicans and put on the coffins of sectarian killers during the troubles: that debased the Irish flag. The Irish flag was supposed to symbolise peace between orange and green.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,116 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

maryishere wrote: »
    Correct. The IRA claimed 1,778 lives, 642 of whom were civilians, according to the book Lost Lives. Many of the others were people like the census collector shot in Derry, or the cook Patsy Gillespie, who died along with five soldiers after being forced by the IRA to drive a car bomb into a check-point - the cook and census collecor were considered by the IRA to be legitimate targets. As were elected politicians : these were legitimate targets too. Not to mention off duty part time or retired security force members shot in the back while leaving grandchildren to school, or killed by cowardly booby trap bombs under family cars. The 642 who were pure civilians - like the people murdered in the Le Mon restaurant bombing - did not deserve to die, but neither did the over 1000 other people either. It set back Irish unity 100 years.

What about the woman the BA have shot in the back ? Loyalist and BA killed more civilians that republicans

he wasn't condoning it, just saying it can happen in wars. i believe it can be avoided if care is taken.

assuming she was a tout then she wouldn't have been wholey innocent. in saying that whoever killed her didn't need to do so and could have found another less destructive way to deal with her to insure she no longer touted. taking a mother away from her children was unnecessary.

convicted in an ira kangaroo court no doubt. guilty til proven innocent of course. and these are the people you think are fit to run this country?

you can take my poppy from my cold dead hand. something i'm sure that sinn fein would have no problem arranging.

you can take my poppy from my cold dead hand. something i'm sure that sinn fein would have no problem arranging.

Nowt like a bit of bile.

Nobody will take your poppy away. Relax.

What about the woman the BA have shot in the back ?

All illegial killings are to be condemned.
    Only 10% of the victims of the troubles were killed by the security services. 60% of the victims of the troubles were killed by Republicans.

• Advertisement

convicted in an ira kangaroo court no doubt. guilty til proven innocent of course. and these are the people you think are fit to run this country?

I don't think anyone got 'courts' quite right in the conflict/war.
    Diplock courts and the one that conspired to cover up Bloody Sunday (Widgery). Gimme a break. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement