Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this and how do I prune it?

Options
  • 29-10-2017 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

We moved house last year and I'm trying to get my head around some of the garden maintenance.

This was a very tightly bunched plant when we moved in, almost spherical. It's now blown out into several clumps.

Can this be reshaped, and when should it be pruned?

Thanks

UCfoLMK.jpg
    0iqpHrd.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Doesn't look like anything that you can prune. A close look at the leaves might tell us more about it. Looks like a large dwarf conifer but could also be a hebe. The problem is neither will regrow if you cut into the old wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Yes it does look like a dwarf Conifer. If so you won't be able to prune it. You could use rubber tree ties to pull it back into it previous shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Oldtree wrote: »
    Yes it does look like a dwarf Conifer. If so you won't be able to prune it. You could use rubber tree ties to pull it back into it previous shape.

More and more I'm thinking its one of the whipcord hebes but same applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

my3cents wrote: »
    More and more I'm thinking its one of the whipcord hebes but same applies.

Learn somthing new every day. I had to Google that and you could very well be correct. I was going by the very old looking gnarled bark. Would need close up of leaf to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Thanks all. Will get a close up later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement