Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed - Trouble Selling a TT bike

Options
  • 29-10-2017 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Looking to sell my tt bike
    Its a great bike but just no one biting
    Need a smaller bike
    Any advice on how to go about getting a very fair price
    Size s/m boardman air 9.0

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Do some research on similar bikes and prices on the used market then put some actual ads up. You might get someone who needs a bigger one and could trade too

If you want to put it in the ads section here, you can't advertise it anywhere else.

Otherwise try, Adverts, Donedeal or some of the Facebook cycling ad pages and prepare yourself for a lot of time wasters.

Edit: you could also try the triathlon forum here. Think they allow selling and might be a more captive market.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You could try a more specific thread title instead of 'advice needed'. You'll get more views and responses if you are specific about the kind of advice you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 island lass

You could try a more specific thread title instead of 'advice needed'. You'll get more views and responses if you are specific about the kind of advice you need.

Dumb question .. like what kinda title...
    I've done all the advertising in past few mths just nothing biting

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

On this thread, something like 'TT bike won't sell at decent price - advice needed to make the sale' would get more views and responses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've edited your title, and deleted your other thread. In future don't repost an already moved thread and ask the mods if you need it renamed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Any link to your ad, the spec of the bike, the price you're looking for?

There can be a vast difference between what a bike stands you, what you consider a fair price for it, and the price that it will sell for. Ultimately, the last one of those is the only one that counts. If it's not selling at the price you consider your lowest then your choice is very simple, you either keep the bike or you drop the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Maybe you could start a thread asking why it hasn't sold. Oh, you did :pac:

Usually things don't sell because the price is too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Yep, Lumen has hit the nail on the head. Pricing is key.
    As well as that the market for high end TT bikes in Ireland is real small- have you considered eBay? Not a big deal to box and ship a bike, just factor it into the price - the advantage is you are reaching a much bigger market

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Looking to sell my tt bike
    Its a great bike but just no one biting
    Need a smaller bike
    Any advice on how to go about getting a very fair price
    Size s/m boardman air 9.0

Is the Boardman Air 9.0 strictly a T.T. bike?
    If not, describing it as a T.T. bike might put prospective buyers off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this is your bike, yeah? you've mentioned before on the forum about being from westport. probably fair to call it a TT bike as it's got TT written all over it.
    http://touch.adverts.ie/road-bikes/boardman-tt-air-9-0/13115320

• Advertisement

You can buy that model new with wheels for about 1850.

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/605-y1415-air-tt-9.0.html

Its a 2/3 year old bike.

The offer of 1000 is reasonable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the one you linked to is kitted out with 105 rather than ultegra though.

the one you linked to is kitted out with 105 rather than ultegra though.
    Yes, worse than that it has manky FSA cranks.

Still, I've sold a couple of nearly new bikes for 50% of undiscounted list price. Bikes are eventually worthless, and they have to get there sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I tend to take the approach that if it hasnt sold for the asking price within a few weeks, then it is time to split and sell as parts, especially TT bikes, as folks in the market for one will want to have their own configuration of parts etc. You may only sell 60-80% of the parts, but you can generally re-use some bits. Sell the frame, followed by the cockpit as they are very specific, then more general stuff line wheels, saddle, group etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

It's a nice bike but it's a very niche market.
    The price is an issue definitely, if its too high people simple look elsewhere.
    Splitting it up and selling the parts will get you more but its a lot of hastle.
    Target the triathletes as thats the sort of bike they use, most cyclists don't ride many TT's (even if like me they have a TT bike in the shed !).
    Anyway good luck with the sale and ignore the negative comments and sarky vibes ;)

Take off the duct tape too ! looks bad ......

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

For a 4 year old entry level TT bike I would have thought 1500 to be a little steep. Closer to the 1000 mark would be more my thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

this is your bike, yeah? you've mentioned before on the forum about being from westport. probably fair to call it a TT bike as it's got TT written all over it.
    http://touch.adverts.ie/road-bikes/boardman-tt-air-9-0/13115320

I'd have bitten the hand off that €1000 offer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭boomdocker

It's way overpriced - not surprising the OP is having difficulty selling

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I'd think 750 is more what you would get and that's an honest opinion. Ask 8-900 but settle for that.
    If you still have that offer of 1k Jesus go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

You can buy a bike that used to cost 3k for about 800. I think a price for your bike should be 700

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Kinda in the market for a TT bike (well always looking), but not for that size. It's way over priced, without wheels, imo.

Few TT bikes have loads of miles on them, so even that would differentiate it much tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

The Irish secondhand market was ruined by the "bike to work" scheme: buy a new bike whose price is inflated, but with a huge govt subsidy - you're happy, bike shop is happy, traffic gets better, people get healthier - it's all good. Then, you sell the bike in 2 or 3 years at 40% it's value, and the secondhand market is flooded with inexpensive bikes. Great for buyers, terrible for sellers (unless you got the subsidy to buy it in the first place).

If you accept the market for what it is, you'll be happy to sell it at all. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

You have no trouble selling, you just have trouble accepting 1000 euro.

Take the money and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I'm looking for something like this for the missus at the moment. Probably a non-runner as you're in Westport and logistics would probably kill us. Echo what the others have said about pricing - 1500 is the kind of territory where people will expect to see high-end Cervelo frames with good quality finishing kit unfortunately.

€1000 was a very good offer. At that price I would start to be interested myself and looking to talk.

Advertisement