Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 217: Bisping v GSP (Plus Garbrandt v Dillashaw & Jędrzejczyk v Namajunas)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

mdwexford wrote: »
    It's defo GSP vs Conor for all the money.

Be some task for GSP to make weight. Too much muscle gone on and i dont see McGregor fighting at 170 again anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

mdwexford wrote: »
    Anyone who doesn't want to see that fight is mental.

I’d like to see some titles being defended first

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

I wonder if Bisping will headline the London card as his retirement fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

That performance by GSP was good, but not a chance he's "better than ever". Was hoping he'd have a bit of ring rust and maybe slowed up a bit more to allow Mike to get the win, but fair play, he beat what was in front of him.

Don't think he'll be champion long though. I'd fancy a good few middleweights (Whittaker, Rockhold, maybe even Weidman, Romero would be interesting) and welterweights (Woodley, Lawler, Thompson) to beat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

There is nothing like an MMA card that's stacked to the gills.

The fight night cards can be a bit of a slog the odd time but I love this sport at it's pinnacle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Namajunas via KO/TKO
    Best port of call for Bisping would be to fight in London and ride off into the sunset. Feed him Machida or someone similar. There's no point in matching him up with a contender at this stage of his career.

He has made his money including a very well deserved big one tonight, and has been a champion.

Job very much done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Talk of GSP Conor is absolute nonsense. GSP is far too big in size for it to be a fight worth taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Namajunas via KO/TKO
    LastLagoon wrote: »
    I’d like to see some titles being defended first

Conor v Georges >>> Conor v any LW

Namajunas via KO/TKO
    I think GSP will see Whittaker as similar to Bisping as beatable in the sense that they're similar size.

He and Dana have said he's contractually obliged to defend the middleweight belt if he won it but we all know the UFC can't be trusted (or more specifically Dana) so who knows what will happen.

I agree with Rogan in that it's hard to see GSP fighting a larger middleweight like a Rockhold or a Weidman as an example, so I highly doubt he'll be staying around at 185lbs.

Most likely scenario: GSP v Whittaker on the Perth card in February. GSP vacates and/or leaves the division whether he wins/loses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Jędrzejczyk via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Namajunas via KO/TKO
    Georges v Conor at 170, all the cash, no belts on the line.

Chalk it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Be some task for GSP to make weight. Too much muscle gone on and i dont see McGregor fighting at 170 again anyway

Anybody who has followed Conor's career knows he takes fights with minimal risk/maximum reward. He fought Nate, Eddie and Floyd at various weights & sports, knowing if he lost any of those fights he had an in-built excuse.

"Not my sport".
    "Not my weight class".

Fighting GSP at middleweight fits perfectly in Conor's method of operating. He gets his minimal risk/maximum reward conditions. It's also the biggest money fight available to him in MMA and would smash the 2 million PPV mark for the first time in MMA.

Anybody thinking they'd fight at 155lbs or at a catchweight isn't paying attention. It'll be at middleweight because the upside of a win is vastly higher for Conor if he could win a 3rd title.

There is very little downside for Conor if GSP ragdolls him at middleweight.

For the record, regardless of weight, it's an extremely winnable fight. Anybody thinking Conor CAN'T knock GSP out is delusional. A bloated 5' 6" lightweight with a 68" reach KO'd GSP already, so of course Conor CAN do it.

Whether he does or not, who knows, but he absolutely can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Namajunas via KO/TKO
    You can't buy it through the app.

I used to always buy the PPVs legit through the app for 25 euro but BT have bought the exclusive rights, so now they have blocked off the ability to buy the ppv through the app in Ireland.

Sorry, i didn't know that. I haven't lived in Ireland in a few years.

Namajunas via KO/TKO
    For the record, regardless of weight, it's an extremely winnable fight. Anybody thinking Conor CAN'T knock GSP out is delusional. A bloated 5' 6" lightweight with a 68" reach KO'd GSP already, so of course Conor CAN do it.

Whether he does or not, who knows, but he absolutely can.

Yeah it was only 10 years ago.

GSP hasn't improved at all since 2007. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Namajunas via KO/TKO
    She tappppped to strikes "Joanna CHampion"

Person getting punched in the head taps to strikes to prevent further brain damage and you laugh at it. Hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

callaway92 wrote:
    Person getting punched in the head taps to strikes to prevent further brain damage and you laugh at it. Hmmmm

If you break down every comment after the result of a fight like that people will look bad saying they are glad someone won as it often tends to be violent.
    Joanna got her commupance last night so some were bound to enjoy it.
    Even more so when the commentators were looking through Namajunas like she was plucked from obscurity. Joanna acted like a tool at the face off, then was on about making an announcement post fight (which was likely a move up to 125). Part of the reason why some don't like her is clearly that she wants people not to as it's probably the best way of making money from fighting having people pay hoping to see you get hurt. Although she isn't a PPV draw even in 2017's lower UFC standards.
    I enjoyed waking up seeing GSP had won a teeny part of that was over the last year seeing Bisping taking pot shots at contenders from the sidelines losing by KO or decision who he had no intention of fighting anyway as he waited for GSP to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

GSP via KO/TKO
    ROOOOOOOOOOOSSSSEEEEEE!!!!!

I'm so ****ing happy for her, what an epic win, seriously can't express how happy I am for her and Pat.

TJ with the HUGE KO after I thought he was fine with, wow that was unreal!

The epic war between Bisping and GSP... Jesus that was class! I thought GSP was fading and thinking he has done well, I hope he sticks around and fights at we again and then boom. WTF is gonna happen now!

Epic night (morning) and not even work on a Sunday morning can dampen my mood!!

Greatest sport in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Quick thoughts...

Duffy had a shyte fight, but it was a terrible stoppage.

Rose is a sweetheart and Joanna is a nasty cow. Joanna tapping to strikes was perfect.

Cody is a superb fighter and we'll see a rematch of that within 18 months max. Great fight.

GSP did well but he was fading fast. He'll need to do something to address that in the future. Dana said in the post fight show that GSP will be staying at MW.

Cormier is horrible on commentary. Won't shut the fudge up and let others talk. And his "Thug Rose" endless chant was ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Namajunas via KO/TKO
    Just watched all of the fights. Holy crap what a card. Was up on my fight shouting at the Rose and Dillashaw finishes. It took all year but they finally got a great card.

Women's straw-weight has just been given a massive shot in arm. All the people who lost to Joanna will fancy a pop off of Rose now. Joanna herself will probably want to get her belt back but it also gives her a great opportunity to just move straight up to Fly-weight and brings the inevitable fight between herself and Shevchenko one step closer.

Men's bantamweight is nuts now as well. The top 3 have all beaten each other in the past 2 years. I couldn't see Dominic Cruz beating Garbrandt after being thoroughly dismantle by him but he'd certainly have another epic battle with Dillashaw. Be interesting if the UFC allow Dillashaw to have a crack off of DJ. From the flyweight division it makes sense since there are no real contenders down there for DJ but it'd be bad for the bantamweight division to tie that up in the same way that the Lightweight and Middleweight divisions have been this year.

At this stage I'd just like nothing more than for all of the champions to stay in their divisions and defend their damn belts. They created a big rod by letting McGregor fight for a second belt and WMA-IMG are more than happy to beat themselves with it for the short-term pay days.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

There is a great opportunity for a video montage showing the intimidation and abuse dished out by the three losers in the run up to last nights fights and how the three victors smiled through it (or in Roses case, did nothing). Then they come out an let their fists do the talking. Brilliant night of fights. Best card for a long time. Thought Duffy was looking good in his fight. How Vick makes that weight is crazy, he looked two weight divisions above duffy.

• Advertisement

Namajunas via KO/TKO
    Watching the fights back and yeah, Big John is the best around, but what a terrible, terrible stoppage in the Joanna fight. So much so that she had to tap to the strikes when it should have been waved off about 5 strikers earlier.

If that's a different refereee he's getting battered this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Paully D wrote:
    Watching the fights back and yeah, Big John is the best around, but what a terrible, terrible stoppage in the Joanna fight. So much so that she had to tap to the strikes when it should have been waved off about 5 strikers earlier.

Paully D wrote:

Imagine dána if it had been mazagati or yamasaki.

On a side note though big john Has had a few howlers in recent months.

Marc Goddard deserves a shot at some big events Imo,

Think osiris maia is good as well, slightly biased as he has an awesome name though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Thought the Duffy stoppage was right. 4 or 5 big blows with no response is always a stoppage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

EoineyM wrote: »
    Thought Duffy was looking good in his fight.

You reckon? I thought he looked poor even before he got clocked. Took the first round but Vick was just getting stronger.
    The Nal wrote: »
    Thought the Duffy stoppage was right. 4 or 5 big blows with no response is always a stoppage.
    He did respond. He blocked the early shots with his arms and then re-guarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Paully D wrote:

I thought the referees in each of JJ and Cody's case definitely gave the champ every opportunity to recover/show something.

JJ should have been stopped a few strikes previous as you said.

What a card tho, wish the Garbrandt fight had turned out differently, but that's the game and how it goes at times. Certainly makes that division very interesting with 3 top class contenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,863 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

if gsp has any sense he'll stay well away from whittaker, that performance not even close to being good enough

shocked and delighted rose won, figured tj could only win this one on pts myself

duffy was piss poor, costa looks an animal, should get a big name for his next one if anyone is brave enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Jędrzejczyk via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What a corner.

Zahabi, Roache, Danaher.
    It's funny, watching the fight I was thinking the exact same thing. Dream corner.
    cletus wrote: »
    Danaher not in a rash vest either
    Bollox, i bet it was on underneath

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What a great card. The 3 titles particularly. I thought we'd we in for 15 rounds, lol way off.
    I do find it odd people mocking Joanna for talking to strikes. If you're hurt you're hurt.
    It's like when tapping to a choke was supposedly embarrassing for a while after Conor did it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Mellor wrote: »
    What a great card. The 3 titles particularly. I thought we'd we in for 15 rounds, lol way off.
    I do find it odd people mocking Joanna for talking to strikes. If you're hurt you're hurt.
    It's like when tapping to a choke was supposedly embarrassing for a while after Conor did it.

Bisping refusing to tap on the other hand was very foolish and dangerous. There's brave and there's stupid, if you're done you're done and he knew he was going nowhere but to sleepytown

Advertisement