Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 217: Bisping v GSP (Plus Garbrandt v Dillashaw & Jędrzejczyk v Namajunas)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

Someone posted that Big John was tapping Rose to warn her about something. Is that a mistake from John? I thought that if the ref hit you like that you assumed they were stopping the fight whch is why Rose stopped instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

Great card, lived up to the hype, loads of surprises and controversary.

All Corey Anderson had to do in the 3rd was not think of the pink elephant, i.e. not get ko'd and he would have won, but he got ko'd.

Likewise I have absolutely no idea what was going through Walt Harris' mind with that late kick. He has no defense for it. Ref couldn't have done any more with shouting and jumping in, what a doofus.

Again I was thinking that Duffy just needed to get to the end of the round, compose himself at 1:1 and go out and win and he got caught. FWIW I thought it was a justified stoppage but will look at it again. Shame it stops his momentum, enjoyed the first round but the crowd got restless in the second which doesn't do much for his pulling power.

Indeed Paulo must be on top-notch organic granola alright. He looks chiselled from granite, Hendricks looked like someone competing in white collar boxing.

Wonderboy fight was ok, but not as exciting as the others and he has had 3 non-ish exciting fights in a row.

The 3 title fights were great, I suspected it would be 3 decisions as well. Great excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bisping refusing to tap on the other hand was very foolish and dangerous.
    Dangerous how?
    tinpib wrote: »
    Someone posted that Big John was tapping Rose to warn her about something. Is that a mistake from John? I thought that if the ref hit you like that you assumed they were stopping the fight whch is why Rose stopped instantly.
    If they feel it's best to touch a fighter to enforce the rules, I think they are free to do so.
    A ref will often pull a fighters hand off from the cage if they grab it, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Namajunas via Decision
    Bisping refusing to tap on the other hand was very foolish and dangerous.

No it's not, at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

The refs generally were terrible last night, only perfect stoppage was the Dillashaw one. Bisping was out a second or two too long for my liking.

• Advertisement

Jędrzejczyk via Submission
    callaway92 wrote: »
    Person getting punched in the head taps to strikes to prevent further brain damage and you laugh at it. Hmmmm

Well it is MMA I am watching, getting punched in the head is a big part of it. I am celebrating because I dont like how she acted before fights and how she talked to her opponents, like how she bullied Claudia on TUF (even though Claudia was being nice to her).

Regarding your second part if you are going to be so sensitive then go watch curling or something. What makes the sport great is people laughing/crying/shouting/screaming at what happens and that is what makes the fighters money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Bisping refusing to tap on the other hand was very foolish and dangerous. There's brave and there's stupid, if you're done you're done and he knew he was going nowhere but to sleepytown

As noted above, it's not dangerous to be put to sleep in that manner, recovery is instant with no longterm effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Namajunas via KO/TKO
    I find it very ammusing that for all the bitching and moaning about bisping vs gsp it ends up being fight of the night and a fantatic watch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Finally got a chance to watch it.

Very happy with the results of the 3 mains fights.
    Not a chance in hell I would have thought to put a few quid on those results though!

theteal wrote: »
    Finally got a chance to watch it.

Very happy with the results of the 3 mains fights.
    Not a chance in hell I would have thought to put a few quid on those results though!

Imagine the money you would have made if you put a bet down for Rose KO/ TJ KO and GSP Sub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

MMA is one of the few things that generally lives up to the hype. This card probably exceeded the hype. Unbelievable fights.

Very disappointed for Duffy. Decent first round, poor second. He couldn't figure out Vicks size it seemed. Poor enough stoppage, but I don't know if he would have found a way to win the third anyway. He'll be taking another step back now unfortunately.

Hendricks should have retired two or three fights ago. He's completely done. His mental state this week was so bizarre. Hope we don't see him again.

Thompson showed he still has some of the best stand up in the division. Masvidal had no answers for him. Thompson v Till would be interesting.

Have never been a fan of WMMA but Rose impressed me. Joanna always seems to have a considerable size advanced but Rose shut that down pretty easily. Joanna tapping to strikes is nothing to be ashamed of, as it never is.

Dillashaw impressed me an awful lot, but he was in trouble at the end of round one. The trio of Cruz, Gardbrant and Dillashaw are all so even, if we had the same combination of fights again and all the results were reversed it wouldn't surprise me. Dillashaw would beat Mighty Mouse I think. If that's gonna happen I'd like to see the winner of Cruz v Riviera to fight Gardbrant to decide the next contender at 135.

Lots of people saying GSP wasn't great and would be in trouble against Whittaker. I wouldn't agree. I was very impressed with Bispings guard work, he landed some hard elbows and never let GSP get comfortable. Don't know if Whittaker would be as effective off his back. Serious fight IQ from GSP for the finish too.

Bisping knew he was going out and considered tapping but no harm to let himself go out. Give him one more fight in England against someone he can beat. He deserves to leave the game like Faber did.

All in all one of the best cards I've seen.
    GSP is definitely still a star. He looked so confident and was enjoying himself all week. Bisping will go down as one of the great characters of the game, albeit not one of the great champions.

Dillashaw Gardbrant could fight 3 times a year and I'd watch every time. Hard to imagine not seeing that fight again, but I wouldn't see grounds for an immediate rematch.

As a side note, I think the commentary team is perfect. Anik says what he needs to, DC gives brilliant insight from a fighters perspective and Rogans understanding of movements and techniques is top notch. Hope we get that trio any PPV DC isn't fighting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Garbrandt via Submission
    Anybody who has followed Conor's career knows he takes fights with minimal risk/maximum reward. He fought Nate, Eddie and Floyd at various weights & sports, knowing if he lost any of those fights he had an in-built excuse.

"Not my sport".
    "Not my weight class".

Fighting GSP at middleweight fits perfectly in Conor's method of operating. He gets his minimal risk/maximum reward conditions. It's also the biggest money fight available to him in MMA and would smash the 2 million PPV mark for the first time in MMA.

Anybody thinking they'd fight at 155lbs or at a catchweight isn't paying attention. It'll be at middleweight because the upside of a win is vastly higher for Conor if he could win a 3rd title.

There is very little downside for Conor if GSP ragdolls him at middleweight.

For the record, regardless of weight, it's an extremely winnable fight. Anybody thinking Conor CAN'T knock GSP out is delusional. A bloated 5' 6" lightweight with a 68" reach KO'd GSP already, so of course Conor CAN do it.

Whether he does or not, who knows, but he absolutely can.

Welcome back wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

I don't want to see GSP vs McGregor just yet. Maybe at the end of next year.

Think McGregor should defend his belt at least once before making any adventures up in weight.

GSP should be allowed to choose where he wants to fight next, either MW or WW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Namajunas via KO/TKO
    I think gsp would eat mcgregor alive be it on the feet or on the ground

ricero wrote: »
    I think gsp would eat mcgregor alive be it on the feet or on the ground

Yeah I agree. If Conor takes the GSP fight its just another money grab, hopefully he fights Tony ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

Namajunas via KO/TKO
    Delighted with the outcomes for the 3 title fights.

I do like Joanna but I think she was believing her own hype and was becoming horribly cocky of late, wouldn't give her a hard time for tapping, ref should've stopped it earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Anyone know when this will be on 3e ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Namajunas via KO/TKO
    xtal191 wrote: »
    Delighted with the outcomes for the 3 title fights.

I do like Joanna but I think she was believing her own hype and was becoming horribly cocky of late, wouldn't give her a hard time for tapping, ref should've stopped it earlier.

Yeah this is spot on. Joanna definitely had the skills to win that fight. She didn't show up at all though. Interesting to see how Rose/the UFC promote Rose now.

The bantamweight title picture is now just on fire. TJ Vs MM would be massive before any defences though. A TJ - Cruz rematch would actually be pretty tasty though if he beats Rivera.

Have Bisping fight Romero or Rockhold for a retirement fight. GSP should fight Whittaker...but also him fighting Woodley would be pretty awesome too. F*ck, last night has thrown everything into disarray. it's interesting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Anyone know when this will be on 3e ?

Usually Monday night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

McGregor going 2-3 in his last five fights if he fought, and lost, to GSP could do serious damage to his image. He needs to win a fight or two so people remember just how good he is, otherwise he's at risk of appearing as nothing but a mediocre "mouth" to casual fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Namajunas via KO/TKO
    Can't stop laughing at DC's "Thug Rose" x 50 when Namajunas won last night. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Namajunas via KO/TKO
    McGregor going 2-3 in his last five fights if he fought, and lost, to GSP could do serious damage to his image. He needs to win a fight or two so people remember just how good he is, otherwise he's at risk of appearing as nothing but a mediocre "mouth" to casual fans.

He is confirmed as cover star of new UFC video game...he'll be losing his next fight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

Namajunas via KO/TKO
    I think Andrade or even Gadelha would beat Rose, hopefully Joanna doesn't get an immediate rematch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

On the other hand, he is 4-1 in his last 5 UFC fights, in 3 different weight classes, which included 3 title victories - all by stoppage within 2 rounds.

Perspective is everything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

As a relatively infrequent visitor to these threads, the polls are very annoying. Any time I visit a thread on this forum I have to scroll past a half page of a poll each page. Maybe this doesn't happen for regulars and the annoying polls disappear if you vote. But as a visitor - it is very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Unbelievable night of fights. It can be an annoying sport to follow at times with all the UFC's shenanigans and all the faffing over the inner workings of the company with money fights and such, but every now and then we get treated to a night like last night and you're reminded what a brilliant sport it is to follow. I follow lots of sports (only really post on boards regarding MMA) but nothing compares to MMA in my eyes.

bajer101 wrote: »
    As a relatively infrequent visitor to these threads, the polls are very annoying. Any time I visit a thread on this forum I have to scroll past a half page of a poll each page. Maybe this doesn't happen for regulars and the annoying polls disappear if you vote. But as a visitor - it is very annoying.

If you vote you see the results, so it doesn't get any smaller. Can't say it's every bother me scrolling past. It should only be about the size of a long-ish post. Not half the page.
    Are you using the 15 posts per page setting?

Mellor wrote: »
    If you vote you see the results, so it doesn't get any smaller. Can't say it's every bother me scrolling past. It should only be about the size of a long-ish post. Not half the page.
    Are you using the 15 posts per page setting?

Just whatever the default settings are on the desktop or mobile site are. I'm just saying that I only visit this forum for the big fights, and when I do there is always a poll which takes up the top 33% of every fúckin page.

bajer101 wrote: »
    Just whatever the default settings are on the desktop or mobile site are. I'm just saying that I only visit this forum for the big fights, and when I do there is always a poll which takes up the top 33% of every fúckin page.

That's an issue with your settings tbh. If it bothers you change the posts per page here
    The poll should only take up a small amount at the top tbh.

7XUcKL4.png

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    That's an issue with your settings tbh. If it bothers you change the posts per page here
    The poll should only take up a small amount at the top tbh.

7XUcKL4.png

No it's not. Ive worked in IT for the last 30 years.

Advertisement