Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 217: Bisping v GSP (Plus Garbrandt v Dillashaw & Jędrzejczyk v Namajunas)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Namajunas via KO/TKO
    D.Q wrote: »
    Watched TJ v Lineker and Cody v cruz tonight.

Can't see anything except a Cody win

I don't think you'd really be able to work out how this fight goes by watching those fights. TJ has a different game-plan for each opponent; he can't fight Cody (a powerful fast reactive boxer-wrestler) like he did Lineker (a slow plodding adamantium chin brawler susceptible to takedowns). Cody knows TJ won't push the action as much as Cruz either.

I forsee Cody having to be more aggressive in this fight, and TJ will probably stay on the outside and use more kicks and takedown attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Jędrzejczyk via Submission
    I don't think you'd really be able to work out how this fight goes by watching those fights. TJ has a different game-plan for each opponent; he can't fight Cody (a powerful fast reactive boxer-wrestler) like he did Lineker (a slow plodding adamantium chin brawler susceptible to takedowns). Cody knows TJ won't push the action as much as Cruz either.

I forsee Cody having to be more aggressive in this fight, and TJ will probably stay on the outside and use more kicks and takedown attempts.

Ah I know mma math is never good, just on the strength of performance. Cody looked untouchable. Think TJ gets caught in the pocket and ko'd

Namajunas via KO/TKO
    D.Q wrote: »
    Ah I know mma math is never good, just on the strength of performance. Cody looked untouchable. Think TJ gets caught in the pocket and ko'd

That's a very likely outcome. Excited to see what TJ has in store to prevent it. Maybe he's just not fast enough though, Cody's hand are lightning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Namajunas via KO/TKO
    Robin mother****ing black in the house !

That's a very likely outcome. Excited to see what TJ has in store to prevent it. Maybe he's just not fast enough though, Cody's hand are lightning.

Cody keeps talking about how he'll go down and fight mighty mouse, imagine he went up to Holloway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Namajunas via KO/TKO
    lol cody just implicated his whole team in PEDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

froog wrote: »

Wheres this?

Link?

Wheres this?

Link?

At the press conference, talking to TJ about steroids

"you're the one who showed everyone on TAM how to do it"

Edit : https://youtu.be/Pvje3rDgvZs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Namajunas via Decision
    froog wrote: »

No, he said TJ showed them how to do it, not that they did it.

Namajunas via KO/TKO

lol, come on man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭aarondoc

Anyone else over at this up for a few pints tomorrow after the weigh ins? Haven't come across one other Irish person which is very strange in comparison to last year😅

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I highly doubt that they where holding team info sessions for the craic.
    What possible situation could anyone be shown how to do steroids, other than when taking/considering steroids.

Namajunas via Decision
    Mellor wrote: »
    I highly doubt that they where holding team info sessions for the craic.
    What possible situation could anyone be shown how to do steroids, other than when taking/considering steroids.

TJ gets gear from coach/friend/supplier/random guy in the street and bro science "you can't ge caught on this stuff dude" tutorial.
    He starts trying to pass on the knowledge to a few team mates. The fact that he's talking about it doesn't mean anyone else is taking his advice.

TJ gets gear from coach/friend/supplier/random guy in the street and bro science "you can't ge caught on this stuff dude" tutorial.
    He starts trying to pass on the knowledge to a few team mates. The fact that he's talking about it doesn't mean anyone else is taking his advice.

Right, I'm sure we're all had guys in the gym go on about how great this new supplement he was flogging (or is flogging). But there's a difference between talking about it, and actually showing people what to do. This is on the assumption that the the steroids they are talking about are more than just popping 1 pill twice a day. I'm assume he means how to inject, where to inject etc.

Regardless it's a dumb this to say about his own team.

In other news, here's the footage of Cody "knocking out" TJ in training.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbAuCSIhEth/

Namajunas via Decision
    I don't know if it's a KO, it cuts far too early, but he's definitely getting an 8 count for that in a boxing match and in an MMA fight he's be swarmed and probably be finished. His knees buckle and he completely folds on top of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Happens in training all the time. Not too much we can read into it.

Namajunas via Decision
    Fromvert wrote: »
    Happens in training all the time. Not too much we can read into it.

If you're getting jelly legged "all the time" in training, you're training with the wrong people in the wrong way. He got buzzed by a guy wearing heavy gloves while wearing head gear. If Cody catches him clean on saturday he's going to sleep.

If Cody is half as good as he was against Cruz, he'll run through TJ.

If you're getting jelly legged "all the time" in training, you're training with the wrong people in the wrong way. He got buzzed by a guy wearing heavy gloves while wearing head gear. If Cody catches him clean on saturday he's going to sleep.

Im not talking about singular pepple getting dropped/stunned all the time but people get sat down regularly in gyms. It could be a different person all the time. Hard spars happen and people get hit hard.

Listen to pro fighters they talk about it happening all the time. Some have changed some say they havnt.

TJ was caught with his head up after coming in, looks like was trying to get back out and was off balance, doesn't take a big shot to put him down in that situation, big gloves or not.

Namajunas via Decision
    Im not talking about singular pepple getting dropped/stunned all the time but people get sat down regularly in gyms. It could be a different person all the time. Hard spars happen and people get hit hard.

Listen to pro fighters they talk about it happening all the time. Some have changed some say they havnt.

TJ was caught on the way in and off balance, doesn't take a big shot to put him down in that situation, big gloves or not.

That's not getting caught off balance, that's getting caught clean and dropped.

That's not getting caught off balance, that's getting caught clean and dropped.

He knows he's missed and is trying to get back out. His head is up and he's legs are not set. Hes off balance. Cody also lands it nice but in that situation you don't need a big shot to be put down.

• Advertisement

Its a spar. TJ could be trying something new or low percentage and misses. If Cody was piecing him up all the time we'd hear about it as Alpha Male always talk. But maybe he did have the edge on TJ, we'll get a good idea on Saturday.

I don't know if it's a KO, it cuts far too early, but he's definitely getting an 8 count for that in a boxing match and in an MMA fight he's be swarmed and probably be finished. His knees buckle and he completely folds on top of himself.
    If he was out cold I'd imagine he wouldn't have cut it. I'd assume he just let him up. But you're right, in a fight he's finished after that.
    He knows he's missed and is trying to get back out. His head is up and he's legs are not set. Hes off balance. Cody also lands it nice but in that situation you don't need a big shot to be put down.
    If he went down from being caught off-balance when moving back, he'd have been knocked backwards. He went straight down because his legs went to jelly, that has nothing to do with balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

How long until TJ requests the full unedited footage of the sparring session to be released

How long until TJ requests the full unedited footage of the sparring session to be released
    Paulie Malignaggi has already claimed it was a push, and Cody must release all 12 rounds.

Yep, this is what it comes down to for me too. If he shows up, he wins. That cruz performance was something else. And it was against Dominic Cruz. I just don't see TJ causing him any trouble. Cody looks a level above.

Which annoys me to be honest because everytime he opens his mouth I support him a little less.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I can't see how TJ win's Cody looks a level above the division ,
    Also can't see GSP winning, he won't keep Bisping down ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Namajunas via KO/TKO
    Definetley not a balance issue, you can see he's legs just buckle.. Doubt very much he was KO'd though, just dropped. Has that footage effected betting odds at all? I still fancy TJ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Weigh in is on now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA_OTz1tnqc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

GSP via KO/TKO
    All made weight so far, Joanna is last one left.

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    All made weight so far, Joanna is last one left.

Ariels running commentary during weigh ins is becoming one of my favourite parts of the big shows

It's like golf commentary haha

Advertisement