Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noon question about fruit seeds.

Options
  • 29-10-2017 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm not much of a green fingers, but I sprouted a few apple seeds and they are growing in pots now. Had them in the fridge for a month to sprout and that worked fine.

Question is, what do I do to look after them now as coming into the winter. I have them on my window sill for now, looking after them there.

I know I won't get decent apples or anything, just an experiment I'm trying out :).

Also gonna try the same thing with some plum seeds, but as far as I can make out for those, they take much longer to sprout from the seed. Was difficult to get the seeds from the pit tbf.

Thanks for any simple advice you can give :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Hi all, I'm not much of a green fingers, but I sprouted a few apple seeds and they are growing in pots now. Had them in the fridge for a month to sprout and that worked fine.

Question is, what do I do to look after them now as coming into the winter. I have them on my window sill for now, looking after them there.

I know I won't get decent apples or anything, just an experiment I'm trying out :).

Also gonna try the same thing with some plum seeds, but as far as I can make out for those, they take much longer to sprout from the seed. Was difficult to get the seeds from the pit tbf.

Thanks for any simple advice you can give :)

It's a bit early to sprout the seeds, usually done in spring. I would restart the experiment in spring.

IISaying that would keep them on the window sill maby with a clear plastic bottle (bottom cut off to make a kinda closh) over them on cold nights but I would expect them to die due to the lack of light (unless you are prepared to give them extra light too)

Apple seeds will not come true to the apple you got them from, they will be a cross of the 2 parents. They would usually end up as a poor performing cooking apple.

But the one I grew on into a tree is a great pollinator as it flowers last for ages in spring, but no apples develop to maturity. It did survive for the first winter (but was a year old) under a frost fleece in the pollytunnel and some of it's leaves persisted all winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Oldtree wrote: »
    It's a bit early to sprout the seeds, usually done in spring. I would restart the experiment in spring.

IISaying that would keep them on the window sill maby with a clear plastic bottle (bottom cut off to make a kinda closh) over them on cold nights but I would expect them to die due to the lack of light (unless you are prepared to give them extra light too)

Apple seeds will not come true to the apple you got them from, they will be a cross of the 2 parents. They would usually end up as a poor performing cooking apple.

But the one I grew on into a tree is a great pollinator as it flowers last for ages in spring, but no apples develop to maturity. It did survive for the first winter (but was a year old) under a frost fleece in the pollytunnel and some of it's leaves persisted all winter.

Spring. Yeah ok I'll do it again and just look after the two I have anyway for now as practice.

I'm aware of the apples not being the same at all. It's more so just seeing if I could grow a tree from seed.

Thanks for the advice on the bottle. I'll do that to protect from winter. But they are indoors so should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Donalde

I have about 15 apple trees plus 1 that has grown wild - presumably from seed dropped by birds. The wild one got no attention from me, it just appeared in the middle of a clump of briars and has a good crop of very acceptable, but smallish apples - I'm checking their keeping quality this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just be prepared for a very large tree, as it won't be grafted to a rooting stock that will dictate the height.

Advertisement