Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best radio for elderly person?

Options
  • 29-10-2017 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I am looking for an easy to use radio for my dad who is in his 70s, his old radio packed up and he normally listens to about 3 or 4 stations all the time. I notice a lot of the newer radios would be too technical for him. I'm looking for something easy enough to use and not too heavy to life. Any tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

serveimage?url=http:%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2F00%2Fs%2FMjgzWDMwMA%3D%3D%2Fz%2Fs24AAOSwDN1UUlqz%2F$_35.JPG%3Fset_id%3D2&sp=0869d0fc30a507a5f6d59c13bc5be353

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Thanks for reply- is there a name/link for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You could look on Ebay to see if the same radio is for sale, or something similar. Do you know the make and model number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

bush retro radio

big rotary dial, no presets, one speaker. mine likes it and has put permanent marker on the dial where the favourite radio stations are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

737max wrote: »
    bush retro radio

big rotary dial, no presets, one speaker. mine likes it and has put permanent marker on the dial where the favourite radio stations are.

Thanks very much for that I will look into that. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭thelordgod

Argos have these and other similar sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Something with pre-set buttons might be appreciated - if available.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭hawthorne

737max wrote: »
    serveimage?url=http:%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2F00%2Fs%2FMjgzWDMwMA%3D%3D%2Fz%2Fs24AAOSwDN1UUlqz%2F$_35.JPG%3Fset_id%3D2&sp=0869d0fc30a507a5f6d59c13bc5be353

No sensitivity and no selectivity. Cheap imitation and absolutly no quality.
    Best to be avoided.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Check charity shops for second hand radios.

Or ebay

Or ask around if any friends or relatives might have one knocking around.

They don't make them like they used to.

IMHO for a pocket radio buttons can't a replace a tuning dial you can use with your thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭brownmini

I am looking for an easy to use radio for my dad who is in his 70s, his old radio packed up and he normally listens to about 3 or 4 stations all the time. I notice a lot of the newer radios would be too technical for him. I'm looking for something easy enough to use and not too heavy to life. Any tips?

perhaps... on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-RF-2400D-Portable-Headphone-Headphones-Black/dp/B07215DXQX/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1523825948&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=Panasonic+RF-2400+AM+%2F+FM+Radio%2C+Silver

BIG DIAL for reading.
    MONO speaker
    Big tuning knob on side
    Has headphone socket
    AC and Batteries for when he's in hospital.

• Advertisement

Would also be interested in this. Bought a Roberts Sound 80 for my Mum. Beautiful sound but she found it confusing so I had to sell it and she went back to a horrible cheap Tesco thing. Broke my heart.

I did a small amount of Googling and saw, ironically, another Roberts radio get recommended: Roberts Play 10.

The sound from that Tesco thing is like someone scraping their nails down a blackboard. Help!

Advertisement