Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead | Season 8 | Episode 2 | The Damned [AMC] [SPOILERS]

• 29-10-2017 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭

The Walking Dead - Season 8

Episode 2 - "The Damned"

Airdate - October 29th on AMC at 9/8c | October 30th on FOX UK at 9PM

The allied communities enact a plan; Rick encounters a familiar face.

Promo

How did you rate this episode? 66 votes

0%
    3%
    8mvbrilou23 2 votes
    1%
    kupus 1 vote
    12%
    NUTZZshnethbebbsysnowgalRosie Rant[Deleted User]tnegunjrkb 8 votes
    9%
    redfacedbearCasey78foozzybear61KoolhangerChip WhitleyBret Hart 6 votes
    12%
    [Deleted User]duridianh3000winston82gmiskcrustyblasabhailCadnil 8 votes
    12%
    YakuzaCollie DYakultMonifealchemist33Mac BforumuserOkon 8 votes
    21%
    WibbsrlistonDarth MelkorpromethiuscylorwillowthewispHande hoche!uncleoswaldBanjaxed82Alonso77brianregan09Maravilla33Walter E GOStringerBell 14 votes
    16%
    Ping Chow ChistorkertvnutzGBXfrashDuffclaivadcliffordmojesiusGuffyRecliner 11 votes
    12%
    Mc Lovenc6000giddybootznok2008duffman13Cartman78biggebruvD3V!L 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Anyone get a Naked Gun or Hot Shots feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Shooty shooty bang bang ☹

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

OMG wtf this show is F###ked imo terrible episode

Jesus mowing down people then changes for 1 person who held him at gunpoint

Lame "action" sequences of people firing guns WOW!!

Eskimo talking rubbish

as far as I'm concerned now this show ended with Vegan bashing all there heads in and the group is no more SHOW OVER

it will only get worse from now on if I had to guess

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Given the lacklustre critical response, even mauling by many critics and viewers of last season and the drop off in ratings I really thought the show runners would give themselves a collective kick up the backside and sort out the plotting and writing (and in this episode's case the directing) and come back better, or at least improved, but oh my, they really haven't. That was IMHO one of the low points of this show since it started. Awful on so many levels, with little to recommend it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

I don't know what it is but the show lost something when negan arrived they need to scrap this story and that character because it's not working onscreen.

also the show is stale to even look at it's needs to move to a brand new location or seasonal time in the weather

I have a feeling rick will die this season I think Lincoln wants out to focus on family and maybe some movie roles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Just probably the worst episode of twd I've ever seen

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

To be fair they have taken one criticism on board and that's lack of action in the previous season. At least now it's moving and more is happening, though much of it seems like filler. Don't get me started on the shootouts that make Imperial stormtroopers look like crack shots...

I think another aspect is play and there's little they can do at the stage after last years crawl fest and that is audience fatigue with the setup and characters. Chopping and changing character motivations like they have with Morgan don't quite ring right and won't help IMHO. Ezekiel is too "comic book" too. Or Rick and Michonne just hooking up cos no particular reason doesn't ring true either.

They need to drop the pretentiousness like the broody music and faces overlay at the head and tail of this episode. Dial back on the speeches. They just don't appear to have the writing chops for it.

If it were me I'd go off the comic script entirely. I'd also kill off at least half of the characters. Again IMHO there are too many and too many strings for audiences to care about or follow. Again to get away with that you need very tight plotting and writers(and directors).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2017/10/29/the-walking-dead-season-8-episode-2-review-this-is-getting-ridiculous/#7c4bd26e1a85

"I don't understand what's happening with The Walking Dead. I don't understand how it's come to this, how it's fallen so far.
    "An episode like 'The Damned' ought to have been exciting, tense and surprising, with lots of action and the return of a character we haven't seen in years.
    "Instead, it was confusing, with very little tension and lots of oddly forced moments. This is how TV shows die, not with a bang but with a whimper. What we're watching isn't high-stakes drama, it's a slow-motion train wreck."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Oh dear. I haven't seen the episode yet, but this season (albeit only two episodes so far) has not been boding well.

Agree with others: they really need to change things up a bit: perhaps see some tiny strands of civilisation rebuilding, perhaps meet some actual army guys on patrol who tell them that there are plans afoot for some sort of national government plus a nationwide 'walker task force' or something. They've been just drifting for a long time now, moving from baddie to baddie. Personally I think the time has come after seven (into the eighth) seasons for the world to attempt to move on a bit.

Would love them to see a fighter jet streaking across the sky or something, with no explanation and no further development for several episodes. Or to pass someplace where there are clear signs of recent, professional building work going on, or even newly-raised fencing around a site. Just little nuggets like that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Agree with others, its time for the show to move on to new pastures and drop some of the baggage its all becoming too stale, im even at the stage where I couldnt give a monkey what happens to Rick. If this is all thats left to do in the land of the walking dead then its time to end the show before it crashes and burns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The episode was full of action but had no tension. There was never any moment when you felt something significant would happen to a relevant character.

Dull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

What was with all the extreme close ups of Rick and co? I think Jesus will live to rue his decision
    to spare the saviours.
    I always kinda thought that
    Morales
    would reappear somewhere. That just felt unfinished to me, even back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭shnethb

I didn’t follow things too close tonight. What was it all about. What was the objection of attacking and killing all those people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭bear1

This episode made no sense.
    Too much was going on to know wtf it is they trying to accomplish.
    The shoot out.. sweet jaysus I think the poster with the naked gun clip is an accurate account of that entire bull****.
    Morgan.. enough said.
    Rick, yet again getting into ****. And was he seriously just going to leave the baby there?
    Morales, is this guy really needed?
    I hate that I've invested 8 seasons of my life to get to the same ending of an episode you'd find in season 4.
    A poster had a good idea of throwing us some suggestions that civilisation is continuing behind guarded walls.
    The army, maybe even sounds of jets, rumours of a city protected.
    Anything! This tit for tat with negan has just exhausted me and if this is how this season is going then I think it's my last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So am I the only one who doesn't have any idea who Morales is? Google tells me he was with the original group but still don't remember him.

Well at least Morgan got over his issue of not killing or using guns.

I think one thing that might help people enjoy it more is if we knew what the plan was for each group. Did they ever say? As far as I know it's just "Kill them all" but seems Rick and Daryl are suddenly looking for weapons in the building that Aaron and co are fighting in front of.
    And it seems the savious that became zombies have all been dealt with quickly.
    Once again Rick and Daryl show off their great marksmanship with 2 headshots that Rick couldn't do last week with Negan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

It really is awful muck at this stage. I’m wondering did they fire the real writers a few years back and hired their own kids to do it or something. That was definitely one of the worst episodes I ever watched.
    The discrepancies between shootings is farcical. People that couldn’t hit a barn door are experts marksmen shooting moving targets in the head with one shot in another scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Have to laugh at the after show bull! they talk like they're making some groundbreaking tv :D

Totally oblivious to the crap they're churning out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

So many wtfs?

What the fcuk?
    When the fcuk?
    Where the fcuk?
    Why the fcuk?

And finishes with a Who the fcuk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

That episode had a hell of a lot of shooting and killing. Yet somehow still managed to be kinda boring.

Agree worth the Forbes review that it was also confusing. I hadn't a clue what was going on half the time apart from a lot of shooting. Although maybe that's because I'm just not engaged with the show as much as I was before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yeah, I think I'm done with this now.

Confusing episode, all over the place. The opening slow-mo shot was cringeworthy. Back to splitting everybody up and dragging out what could be done in half an hour over several episodes it looks like.

Crappy side drama between Jesus and Tara, who cares.

Morgan is confused again, great.

And again, back to ignoring the 'cliffhanger' at the end of the first episode (not that anyone really cares about Gabriel)

It's just bizarre how they've managed to make such a mess of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Blazer wrote: »
    It really is awful muck at this stage. I’m wondering did they fire the real writers a few years back and hired their own kids to do it or something. That was definitely one of the worst episodes I ever watched.
    The discrepancies between shootings is farcical. People that couldn’t hit a barn door are experts marksmen shooting moving targets in the head with one shot in another scene.

Didn't they fire the main director or producer back in it's prime?
    I mean if you compare the calibre of the 1st and 2nd season it was simply top notch and it had my hooked.
    Now... feck off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

That episode had a hell of a lot of shooting and killing. Yet somehow still managed to be kinda boring.

Agree worth the Forbes review that it was also confusing. I hadn't a clue what was going on half the time apart from a lot of shooting. Although maybe that's because I'm just not engaged with the show as much as I was before.

I have to agree with you UP:

A lot of shooting and killing but very one sided in terms of those actually getting shot and killed. Too one sided.

Too disjointed in terms of making sense - I too have lost interest but am watching it now for the sake of watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

Never stop a binge watch of Stranger Things season 2 and dive straight into an episode of walking dead on TV, it will actually make you hate what this show has become.
    I couldn't believe what I was watching. this show has lost everything I used to love. this episode had no tension, no drama, and worst of all characters have just become so boring. I am not here to bash the walking dead to death, I just want to point out what I have seen happening to this show,
    Unfortunately this episode was horrible, the writing was so lazy. The first evidence of laziness in this episode was, Morgan getting "shot"...This was an attempt by the writers to build tension, and drama, however instead of trying to figure out a clever way of doing this, they just had Morgan play dead, and then hop up with not a scratch on him. I thought this was pretty bad, and also was a little insulting to the audience.... because two seconds before this Morgan says "I don't Die"...its like the people at AMC are just churning out any old sh*t and as long as us dumb idiot viewers are just staring mindlessly at the screens and tuning in every week, then who the hell cares right??.... Rick and the Gang running around shooting for the whole episode, that's great action right??? unfortunately nope its not....its only good when it means something. I found myself watching most of this episode not caring about anybody in it. because 
    A. lots of side characters (that are bordering extras) took up a lot of screen time, and did a lot of shooting and killing, and 

B) everybody that died was somebody that I didn't care about.
     so essentially all the drama and action in this episode came off as mind numbing and boring.  A 40 min episode dedicated to all out action doesn't mean much to anybody if we the audience aren't invested in anything, its sad because the last two episodes have probably cost a fortune to make, (which will also put a lot of pressure on people that actually care about the show) With all the real life locations, CGI tigers, so much actors and extras, and then to contrast that to the below clip in stranger things season two, which is just two mins long, and written in such away it was able to build up more of an emotional connection from me than the last two episodes from walking dead, (again sorry about all the comparisons to stranger things, I just spent most of the weekend watching it so its fresh in the head :-) )

I think the Walking dead have forgotten why we all like this show, its because of scenes like the this , scenes that mean something, scenes that writers have taken the time to build up and execute correctly...scenes like when Rick Killed Shane, or when they found zombie Sophia in the barn and rick Had to kill her.....

for me it feels like these are episodes Full of Filler,....Just rushed lazy writing, to keep us occupied until we can get to the end of the season where inevitably Rick and Negan will face Off,....which they will probably also mess up......I think I might give up on walking dead for awhile, its a pity because I feel Negan can be the saving grace if they have good quality episodes built around him . well that's my two cents on the matter :-) ill probably get bashed for some of my opinions on this, so please be gentle boards :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

maximoose wrote: »
    The opening slow-mo shot was cringeworthy.

It was like watching The Angelus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭Guffy

Wheres the poll... 4 that was a 4 at best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

That Forbes link was handy in figuring what was going on. When I saw the metal sheeting attached to the cars in the trailer, assumed they were going to be used to herd zombies around the place. Was not to be the case, instead used as ridiculous cover. The naked gun comparison is spot on.

The show would benefit from getting rid of the King and his cronies. End up only half watching those parts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Pretty poor ep, as said above, lots of action but no story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

I was wondering if anyone else found this in the most recent season or Fear TWD and this season of TWD.

I find myself feeling as if I've missed the lead up to something or I'm sipp7 to take for granted that a conversation happened off screen.
    I first noticed it in the first scenes of S3E1 of Fear where an 'action scene' was shown in a sped up flashback.

Seems very lazy writing, especially as there is so much filler in each epiaode, it's not like they need to be cutting corners to get more in each episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

laughable show, had so much promise when it started....Its now become something like The A Team from the 80's....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I remember when rick had that shoot out in the bar back in s2 just him and some guy that was tense and got my Adrenalin going and show hasnt been any good since s3-4 for me anyway, i haven't watched the new episodes this season felt kinda done after the last season. All the negative reviews makes wonder what the main actors actually think of the show for reals.

Advertisement