Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Walking Dead | Season 8 | Episode 2 | The Damned [AMC] [SPOILERS]

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I've started watching from the beginning again and it's like 2 different shows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

storker wrote: »
    This.

The moody closeups (which seemed to channel Picnic at Hanging Rock...wha'?) and mysterious flash-forwards appear to be a way of increasing uncertainty and tension. In a show about a world full of the living dead where the the most of the remaining living people are out to get you too, such gimmickry shouldn't be necessary, and if you need to use it, you're doing something very, very wrong. Like letting transition years students do the writing...

I think the rot started when they got rid of Darabont.

Ouch!

What I miss most about this show is the tightness I used to get in my stomach when watching it, and the rush to see the next episode. Now I can wait a week or more and my main emotion when watching it is irritation, when it used to be nervous tension (I tend to really dive into the stuff I watch).

It's become boring, poorly written and poorly-executed. Gunfights reminiscent of the A-Team. Brain-damaged decision making. Characters whose motivation seems to be to do whatever will make things more awkward for everyone else, just because. Tara should have just shot that guy. Doubtless we'll get a big debate next about what to do with all those prisoners, when the only sensible thing is to shoot them. That's assuming they don't do a mass escape because wait for it...one of Rick's gang has a brain fart.

"This isn't who we are". What? People who make smart decisions? Y'all got that right. Hershel's words keep on coming back to me: "It's a miracle you people made it this far...". You nailed it, Hershel.

This sums up what I was going to post basically, you nailed it for me. The music would start and that familiar sense of dread would take over. I would religiously watch it every Monday morning or at the latest on Monday night. I watched this week's episode last night and what a pile of garbage it was. No point in repeating what everyone else has said.

When Negan wielded his bat he was effectively slamming the first of many nails into the show's coffin because I can't see any way back for it now. So many characters it's laughable. Supremely irritating characters like Ezekiel with his nonsense talk and the leader of the trash people (to think they have still to show up this season!).

Daryl bombing around on his motorbike a la Arnie in T2. Carol doing absolutely nothing anymore. Seriously, in this week's episode what did she do except smile meekly and nod at Ezekiel as she trotted after him wherever the hell he was going.

The producers are insulting the viewers at this stage. And worst of all I'll still watch the bloody thing. I've invested so much in it that I can't just stop watching, I'm not that sort of person. I feel like I'll be the only person left watching it as it staggers to its inevitable, sad demise.

At least we'll always have this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭storker

I kind of like Ezekiel, although it seems I'm alone in this, but only because he's putting it all on, and everyone seems to know but just lets it slide. I liked it when in slipped into normality mode for a second to tell Carol "...you gotta fake it to make it," with a grin on his face. I find the bin-people's minimalist speech style a lot more irritating.

I also like Ezekiel's tiger, as long as I force myself not to think about its intelligent targeting system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Is it the same people involved with Fear the Walking Dead? Could be like the Berlanti DC shows. Arrow was good then Flash started and Arrow declined, then Legends started and Flash declined.

I don't think that's the case here, because FTWD has a much smaller budget than TWD and only a fraction of the viewership, it's the poor relation and was only created in the first place to further tap the huge fanbase.

It was only ever meant to be a lesser companion but overall but it's grown to be a much better show. Not always mind; the first season of FTWD was entirely average at best but considering both shows are now running almost side by side, the superiority of FTWD is now overwhelming. Decent plot lines, constantly moving at a good pace, good characters and, most importantly, credible human behavior and believable rationale on display.

Now that said, in the overall scheme of things, FTWD is just a reasonably decent TV show, it's not that it's a brilliant show in its own right, more just compared to the show that spawned it.

Interestingly enough while zombies are still a core part of FTWD, just like the main show, they've largely taken a back seat with various human groups serving as the main antagonists.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭17togo

Ive reached the point that when I'm discussing with friends about current TV shows we're watching I don't admit to still watching this!! It's like admitting to watching home and away or similar. I got annoyed when I heard there's possibly going to be a couple of more seasons!

It's like the writers think that because it's a show about zombies the people watching it are actually turning into zombies too, so we'll just throw together any old crap and they wont notice!

But dammit I'll still watch it, similar to when I got sucked into watching Lost! I still hate myself for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

To be honest the best thing that could happen this show is a new overarching and original threat (not in the comics) to come in and steamroll all these settlements and force Saviors and whats left of Rick's crowd to work together and put them all on edge again .....only way

Kill Ezekial his tiger and all the rubbish that brings and keep Neegan , Stephen Ogg's character from the Saviours and work from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Watched episodes 1 and 2 back to back (at home sick so didn't want anything too taxing).

Episode 2 was a total mess....hard to tell what was going on, why it was going on or who the fupp was who.

I think someone referenced The Naked Gun 'shootout' earlier in this thread and that's bang on...they looked to be about 5 yards apart in the main battle between one group of people I didn't know and another group of people I didn't know.

And a more general gripe....the zombies are barely relevant any more...a flipping wasp flying into a room would cause more commotion at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

What do boardsies think of the theory that flash forward "Judith" is in fact Gracie?

Personally, I think it is very plausible that she is Gracie.

But also I think people behind this theory could be wrong in presuming that it will be Negan's fault if something happens to Judith. 

If they are correct about the children, could it maybe go the route of Jadis and the junkies as culpable. They have been suspiciously absent in any form during the first two episodes. 
    Wouldn't you think such a large threat which allied with Negan's Saviors in the past would need to be addressed before attacking Negsn anyway?

It is because of this absence that I'm not entirely convinced that red-eyed Rick scenes are set between the time of attack on Saviors' compound of opening episode and time of "Old Man" Rick scenes in a more happy time living with Michonne and ~6 year old Judith (Gracie).

I think red-eyed Rick scenes predate the attack, showing a Rick mourning for Judith, and that Team Rick have at the time of the attack on Saviors in opening episode, the junkies have been dealt with, and that this might be the hidden reason behind the wrath referenced in "my mercy prevails over wrath".

Ok. Maybe I'm way off in this and am completely missing out some negatory point in this. Feel free to point out if I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Dafuq is Gracie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

That seems far too sensible for the writers of TWD.

That seems far too sensible for the writers of TWD.

LOL. Okay. Fair enough.

bear1 wrote: »
    Dafuq is Gracie?

It's explained in the Youtube video in my earlier post.

Gracie is the infant in the crib who Rick discovered after Rick had killed her Savior father by slamming him into a broken shelf mount as they fought. 

Rick had gotten info from Dwight that this location was a weapons store and thought this was what the Savior was defending in the back room.

When he found Gracie, he seemed rather stunned and I think maybe for the first time he saw that at least some of the Saviors were just doing what they do, even the horrible things, for the survival of their loved ones, just like he himself had been forced to do on many occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Where are they getting all these bullets from? And why would some sheet iron stuck to their car suddenly make them bullet proof?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,327 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have you never watched the A Team tv show? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Recliner

I know I should know this but I can't remember and I can't be bothered looking it up.

I know Negan took all the Alexandrians weapons and I know that they took all the womens group weapons to give to the crowd that talk funny to get them to fight against Negan.

So where did they get all the weapons and ammunition from that they're using now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

What happened to that tribe? Have they gone to the up up up ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    What happened to that tribe? Have they gone to the up up up ?

The writers may actually pretend they never existed.

Which would be a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

The writers may actually pretend they never existed.

Which would be a good thing.

But we need to know why they spoke the way they did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For the junk yard people I think we'll see them soon enough again because
    the leader's name is in the opening credits

Recliner wrote: »
    I know I should know this but I can't remember and I can't be bothered looking it up.

I know Negan took all the Alexandrians weapons  and I know that they took all the womens group weapons to give to the crowd that talk funny to get them to fight against Negan.

So where did they get all the weapons and ammunition from that they're using now?

Haven't seen the latest episode (8-03) yet, but my theory up to this point, as I posted earlier in this thread, is that Rick and co. have already dealt with them before they went on to attack The Saviors. 

They could have got back the guns and a lot of the metal "armour" on their vehicles at the junkyard after defeating Jadis and her weirdos. 

I also think that: MAJOR COMIC BOOK SPOILER FROM ALL OUT WAR ARC
    I think Negan's destiny on TV show will be quite different in the long run and that Jadis could well be the one locked up in jail by Rick instead of Negan as it was in the comics. Thus his "Mercy will prevail over his wrath for her". They have already done some major change to other characters, so don't think it is infeasible.

Or maybe both Jadis and Negan get jailed. :-D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

was fairly lame.

although, while acknowledging that TWD certainly needs no new characters - I thought the saviour girl commanding the group she ordered to attack had promise as a character.

but they killed her about 30secs after I said to myself that she had potential and it would be cool if she escaped.

so what do i know.

morgan's rampage was pathetic too, totally unbelievable and unrealistic....like he had superpowers...

Advertisement