Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gort Na Duin Oranmore Galway - New build

Options
  • 29-10-2017 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Has anyone here put a booking deposit on phase 4 of this development? Our solicitor received the contracts and plans on Friday (we haven’t seen them yet) and highlighted a couple of things to us which we are concerned about.

1. There’s 3 social housing units in the development of 19 units. This seems excessive, it’s far the above 10% figure.

I’m not interested in comments about thinking I’m too good to live beside social housing, so please don’t bother. We’re paying €339k for our house a few doors down from a terrace of 3 social houses and concerned about how this may impact on the resale value of our house. I have no issue with social housing in the estate, I’m just concerned about a cluster of it together instead of being mixed in to the development as a whole.

For reference, phases 1,2 and 3 of this development were sold for considerably less (€259k/€279k) than phase 4 (€339k), so phase 4 purchasers have the most to lose by any negative impact on resale values.

2. The estate will not be taken over by the council and will remain under the management company on a permanent basis. This could potentially be a black hole financially speaking for owners in the event of anything going wrong with the sewage system etc.

If you’re considering buy here, how do you feel about the issues above? Does it have any impact on your decision? Is this situation with the mgt company the norm in Galway?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

gortnaduin wrote: »
    1. There’s 3 social housing units in the development of 18 units. This seems excessive, it’s far the above 10% figure.

That's 1 house above the 10% figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gortnaduin

Graham wrote: »
    That's 1 house above the 10% figure.

Yes, as I said, it’s more than 10%.

I think it’s fair to say an additional 50% of social housing above the minimum is a significant difference.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

gortnaduin wrote: »
    Yes, as I said, it’s more than 10%.

I think it’s fair to say an additional 50% of social housing above the minimum is a significant difference.

Equally, I think it's fair to say 1 house is unlikely to have a material effect on anything.

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Those that think it's too much can choose not to purchase a house in that development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gortnaduin

Graham wrote: »
    Equally, I think it's fair to say 1 house is unlikely to have a material effect on anything.

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Those that think it's too much can choose not to purchase a house in that development.

Which is exactly what I’m asking people...does it impact on their decision whether or not to buy there....

I’m not asking you whether or not you think it should, I’m asking whether it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'm living in a rural village in a terrace of Council houses with 10 Units. 5 of the units are privately owned and 5 still belong to the council. It didn't impact my decision to buy in the end (even though it's a second hand purchase). Was a very good decision because all the neighbors without exception are lovely, there are lots of children around for mine to play with. I made the experience that all the council tenants here are having at least one working family member (families and mature couples where one still works), they are all straight forward and honest people with a big sense of community.

I'm not too worried about the sales value of my house because first of all, the market is volatile anyway, and secondly I'm not planning to move anytime soon. Also it might sound a bit much for you percentage-wise but believe me, 3 units within 18 isn't that much really. You can have bad and good neighbors really. My In-Laws recently got a family next door that purchased the house for a good bit over 600k and they are obnoxious as hell when they're at home.

In the end you can make the decision but if you plan on buying a new-build, there will always be a social housing factor involved. If that's very unappealing to you in general, you'd have to look at mature and settled areas because you never know in the end how an estate will be like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement