Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head Torch Recommendations

Options
  • 29-10-2017 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

Hi guys and girls,

Looking for a recommendation for a head torch for running in the evenings now. I don't want anything too heavy and bulky as I had a few that kept bouncing as such.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Newtown90 wrote: »
    Hi guys and girls,

Looking for a recommendation for a head torch for running in the evenings now. I don't want anything too heavy and bulky as I had a few that kept bouncing as such.

Thanks

Any builders providers will have them. 95% of us don’t need to splend anymore than a tenner on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 machomac

You can get them cheap for sure but the light is generally no broad enough for proper dark night time running. I bought a black Diamond one about a year ago and it's awesome. Lightweight, decent battery life. Adjustable glow intensity. You also get that real broad forward looking glow a good few metres in front of you which I never had with a cheap one. Think mine cost about 60. You'll have it for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I got an LED lenser H7R.2 (I think). It's got a rechargeable pack on the back of the strap so it's not feather-light. In fact I generally have to wear a buff on my head to stop it sliding down - that could be because I've an odd-shaped head though. But the headlight is brilliant, brightness is adjustable and there's a solid / flashing red light to the rear. It recharges via micro usb - there's a cheaper, replaceable battery version (H7.2?) which uses AA batteries. That'd be better for longer events where you can't recharge. Think this one was about €80 but it's rock solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SureWhyNot!

I like the models that use the USB rechargeable batteries with the option to use normal batteries if stuck or doing a longer event where spare batteries are required.

I use the LED LENSOR SEO7R and find it super for 2+ hours on full power when fully charged. Much better for me than the older versions with AA/AAA batteries where I spent ages running with almost no light just to get the last bit of juice out the batteries...

More than enough light for trails, fire roads and tarmac. Open mountain or Night-O might require something bigger.

Petzel Core looks impressive too and possibly lighter/more powerful, 350 v 220 lumens.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Do you want something to highlight the fact that you are there and help with preventing car drivers/ cyclists running you over, or do you need something to be able to run on completely dark trails where you don't even have moonlight to light the path?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Newtown90

robinph wrote: »
    Do you want something to highlight the fact that you are there and help with preventing car drivers/ cyclists running you over, or do you need something to be able to run on completely dark trails where you don't even have moonlight to light the path?

It's trails I'll be using it for so will need to light a few metres ahead.

I'll YouTube the ones recommended above and make a purchase thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

Outsider posted a review of headtorches on their website recently. That's worth a look.

There's a wide range of available torches and your best choice depends on exactly how you intend to user it, even narrowing that down to trail running. How technical are the trails, how good is your night vision, how much light pollution can you benifit from, how important is duration, will rechargable batteries be usable (yes for training, no for really really long races), is waterproofing important. Then there is the cost factor... do you want the best money can buy or the cheapest you can get away with?

Advertisement