Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

The lads at Rugby Ruckus were talking a good bit about Cheika on their last podcast, they reckon that most of the problems with Aussie rugby are structural and not the fault of Cheika, although they also think he has done fairly poorly this year. The amateur club scene is completely disconnected from the pro game, most players see it as if you’re not playing for a handful of elite schools there’s no chance of making it into Super Rugby. On top of that every penny raised at amateur level is pumped into the pro game, which is further disenfranchising the lower levels and driving down participation.

Right now the mood of Aussie rugby is keep Cheika until after the World Cup, but begin actively searching for a successor. In the mean time serious restructuring of the union needs to be undertaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

The lads at Rugby Ruckus were talking a good bit about Cheika on their last podcast, they reckon that most of the problems with Aussie rugby are structural and not the fault of Cheika, although they also think he has done fairly poorly this year. The amateur club scene is completely disconnected from the pro game, most players see it as if you’re not playing for a handful of elite schools there’s no chance of making it into Super Rugby. On top of that every penny raised at amateur level is pumped into the pro game, which is further disenfranchising the lower levels and driving down participation.

Right now the mood of Aussie rugby is keep Cheika until after the World Cup, but begin actively searching for a successor. In the mean time serious restructuring of the union needs to be undertaken.
    Yeah rugby union is the elite fee paying schools and if not in one of them you havent hope of progress by and large and the club game is dominated by islanders so many of the white australians are turning away from union as rugby isnt weight graded like it is in New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

troyzer wrote: »

Scott Robertson will be the man to take over the role I’d imagine. Superb job with the crusaders the last number of Years.

Scott Robertson will be the man to take over the role I’d imagine. Superb job with the crusaders the last number of Years.

Not a chance. It has to be Foster.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,580 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's so hard to take Scott Robertson seriously.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Jackman is available, so is EOS

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Jackman is available, so is EOS
    Jackman is destined to take over from Lancaster when he gets his promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

awec wrote: »

On the one hand, this would be the worst thing that's ever happened to Leinster and I would be despondent to see it. On the other hand I would be incredibly delighted to see Buer's responce.

REDACTEd

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The report the other day said that if Joe had taken the role he was offered 12 months ago with the All Blacks. Then it would have been between him and Foster to take over when Hansen stepped down. You would assume that means Foster is the incumbent now since Joe didn’t move.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »

I heard he was moving to Ulster as their backs coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Toulon have signed Milner-Skudder and Etzebeth

Toulon have signed Milner-Skudder and Etzebeth

I thought they were getting Whitelock? They're having Whitelock AND Etzebeth?

Absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

stephen_n wrote: »
    I heard he was moving to Ulster as their backs coach.

No. What you heard was he was moving through Ulster in the back of a coach en route to Galway.........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

The Challenge Cup will have a lot of big names playing in it next season! :pac:

I thought they were getting Whitelock? They're having Whitelock AND Etzebeth?

Absolutely ridiculous.

Yeah that was what was being floated around that it was going to be Whitelock and another All Black announced yesterday, although it hasn't been confirmed that Whitelock is joining, there hasn't been anything to say he isn't still so they could have both.

Yeah that was what was being floated around that it was going to be Whitelock and another All Black announced yesterday, although it hasn't been confirmed that Whitelock is joining, there hasn't been anything to say he isn't still so they could have both.

If that's true, it's just unfair. Man City of rugby.

Are they moving after the World Cup? Milner Skuder seems to be perma crocked?

Etzebeth is, Milner-Skudder is after the super rugby season. He more than likely wasn't going to the world cup anyways.

He's going before the world cup apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I suppose the only thing is that they won't be able to get all of these guys on the pitch at the same time. Whitelock, NMS, Fekitoa, Savea, Messam and Isa....only two of them will be permitted.

I know there were talks of Fekitoa going back south but, as far as I know, the others will be there next year (if Whitelock is confirmed).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Buer wrote: »
    I suppose the only thing is that they won't be able to get all of these guys on the pitch at the same time. Whitelock, NMS, Fekitoa, Savea, Messam and Isa....only two of them will be permitted.

I know there were talks of Fekitoa going back south but, as far as I know, the others will be there next year (if Whitelock is confirmed).

As in kolpak? Isn't that assuming none of them are entitled to other passports?

Bazzo wrote: »
    As in kolpak? Isn't that assuming none of them are entitled to other passports?

It is. And Fekitoa actually is born outside of NZ, forgot about him. All the others are born in NZ/Argentina though...not entirely sure on their passport situations.

It has nothing to do with Kolpak. The FFR require teams to have over half of their team made up by French players.

They're not limited to only two foreigners.

It has nothing to do with Kolpak. The FFR require teams to have over half of their team made up by French players.

They're not limited to only two foreigners.

I'm referencing European rugby and yes, 2 foreign players is the rule for them in European competition the same as it is for the provinces.

I'm referencing European rugby and yes, 2 foreign players is the rule for them in European competition the same as it is for the provinces.

In Europe, yeah. But most French teams don't care about Europe.

In Europe, yeah. But most French teams don't care about Europe.

Right....we're talking about a specific team though and their signings?

Right....we're talking about a specific team though and their signings?

They're hardly the only French team which splash out on multiple foreign players.

They're hardly the only French team which splash out on multiple foreign players.

Yes but you can’t say Toulon don’t care about Europe

• Advertisement

But we're not talking about other teams....we've solely been discussing Toulon and the signings they've made?! We've been even listing the specific players. :rolleyes:

I'm out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement